Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Which Lexus now ?

Hello all, is it me or does there seem to be a lack of cars in Lexus range. For those who don't want an SUVz there is little choice. Having had an IS300h for 5 years, I then had a Tesla, a Prius and now a Toyota CHR. The IS is sorely missing from the UK lineup. I don't want the ES as it's huge...4.9 long is a pain to park in everyday use. The UX is too small..the CT has gone. So come on Lexus being back the IS to the UK. I have to change my car in 3 months and don't want to return to the Germans.

• Like 1

The UX is certainly not small. Having previously had an IS300H, there is more space up front in the UX. 

The boot in the UX is reasonably small but that's fine for me. 

You currently have a CHR. The UX is similar in size so do you find the CHR too small? 

I have just changed from an Is300h that I have had for over 10 years to a UX fsport. My initial worries were, boot was too small, run flat tyre noise too loud so I was a bit nervous about changing. I have had the car for a few  days now and have got over the fact I will have to drop the seats to get my golf clubs and trolley in. The run flat Dunlop tyres are quite good not as noisy as I thought not much difference from my Michelin ps 5s on my IS. It has all the get up and go that I need. Coming from the IS the major thing has been all the technology on the car, it has taken me a few days to be happy with my set up but I’ve got there I think. All the new stuff, lane guidance assist and speed warnings etc can be turned off or visual only so that’s ok. All in all I am very pleased with it and also for the 50+ mpg I have just had on my first 60 mile run.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HPS13 said:

The UX is certainly not small. Having previously had an IS300H, there is more space up front in the UX. 

You currently have a CHR. The UX is similar in size so do you find the CHR too smal

For me the CHR is ok but not comfortable on long runs. The current IS300h available in the UK is Gen 3 hybrid. My Gen 4 Prius was super efficient. I guess the UX would be ok but seems like a step backwards in terms of class of car. If you want the latest generation hybrid then it has to be a new model. I don't think Lexus realizes there is a demand for mid sized saloons. BMW, Merc and Audi still do them so why not Lexus ? The ES is an excellent car but more of a limo than for everyday use. Can drivers are now acquiring them for the same reason. I may have to get another IS300h 2020 model to at least stay with the brand. Else it's back to the Germans for me. Tesla was an experience but it's not there yet. 

• Like 1

I also have a dichotomy in that I would like to change my present IS for a new Lexus but am not inspired by the range on offer. I do not want an SUV as I prefer a saloon but there is nothing on offer from Lexus. Nothing wrong with my present IS, so probably will stay with it.

• Like 2

Same predicament for me - I'd have changed my current IS 300h for a new facelifted one if Lexus had brought it to UK/Europe and would probably be looking to change that again for another new one now. However, as Lexus dropped the IS and I have no desire to get the ES and at this time not a SUV either then I've kept my 2014 IS 300h going - now approaching 150k miles. I have continued to use Lexus for servicing and so I think I will see how long it remains economical to run it for as it's still as comfortable to drive as it always was and only £10 a year for VED! 

Now we have a new government I'll also be interested to see what pans out with them before I decide which way to jump regards any future car purchase... 

• Like 1

Same for me. I've had my RC300h for 5 years now, and was itching for a change. 

If there was an IS300h estate I would change to that. 

I don't want an SUV thing, nor a late IS300h, as I suppose they're a bit dated now, and really no better than what I've got. 

Mine has only done 37k, so may as well keep it, especially with the Relax warranty. 

So, I've done the very sensible thing, and spent the £11k burning a hole in my  pocket and bought an Abarth 595. 145bhp, soon to be 170!!

It's a riot to drive, and smiles from ear to ear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe in a few years time japanese imports of the facelift IS will make it to the UK market for a reasonable price. Until then i guess the only real options for a reliable saloon thats not massive would be the older IS or the GS. The IS is a tad bit more practical given the back seats fold.

13 hours ago, nickb2015 said:

Hello all, is it me or does there seem to be a lack of cars in Lexus range. For those who don't want an SUVz there is little choice. Having had an IS300h for 5 years, I then had a Tesla, a Prius and now a Toyota CHR. The IS is sorely missing from the UK lineup. I don't want the ES as it's huge...4.9 long is a pain to park in everyday use. The UX is too small..the CT has gone. So come on Lexus being back the IS to the UK. I have to change my car in 3 months and don't want to return to the Germans.

Nick.. Don't Mention The War And you might Get away With It..!!!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Same for me. I've had my RC300h for 5 years now, and was itching for a change. 

If there was an IS300h estate I would change to that. 

I don't want an SUV thing, nor a late IS300h, as I suppose they're a bit dated now, and really no better than what I've got. 

Mine has only done 37k, so may as well keep it, especially with the Relax warranty. 

So, I've done the very sensible thing, and spent the £11k burning a hole in my  pocket and bought an Abarth 595. 145bhp, soon to be 170!!

It's a riot to drive, and smiles from ear to ear!

Abarth are suppose to be mini hot hatches from what I've read online, like a Go Kart. Coming from a Lexus does the long term reliability or build quality  not worry you though? 

The swift 1.4 turbo is suppose to be a good contender or the Yaris 1.6T GR 4WD if your getting serious. (Both being Jap)

& I agree with the latest IS model not being released in the UK it leaves genuine buyers to look at other models the Germans have a better line up of saloons Lexus will loose out. The ES I'm sure is a great car but it has a Dubai Uber image (just my opinion) it won't attract sales like the IS range. 

The RX500H would be my choice once the depreciation settles down. In a nice blue/black colour 👌 

I am surprised that Lexus dropped the IS in the UK. It is/and was a very good car. All I can think of is that it was not as profitable as the SUVs. But then why sell the ES? It must have lower customer appreciation than the IS being bigger and slower.

I don't get it. If I was CEO of Lexus I would dump the ES and return the IS in ALL its forms.🙄

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GMB said:

I am surprised that Lexus dropped the IS in the UK. It is/and was a very good car. All I can think of is that it was not as profitable as the SUVs. But then why sell the ES? It must have lower customer appreciation than the IS being bigger and slower.

I don't get it. If I was CEO of Lexus I would dump the ES and return the IS in ALL its forms.🙄

At the time Lexus pitched the ES as a replacement in the UK (& Europe I believe) for the GS and IS but in practice it is neither and has not sold in any great quantity - personally I would have thought the IS would have sold more than the ES. The ES has it's own values of course but they are not those of the IS or the GS. The GS was later discounted completely but the current IS lives on in other regions , though whether that will continue with a new IS is an unknown right now - maybe as a BEV???

I blame the SUV's. Every second car on the road seems to be an SUV 😅

Cars in general have become too big too, which would be fine if the roads and parking spaces had grown by a similar size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While my is300h was serviced, I had ux300e for a day... More road noise, much more hard plastics in interior. For me definitely a downgrade from is series. Unfortunately ux is not a real lexus for me...

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

At the time Lexus pitched the ES as a replacement in the UK (& Europe I believe) for the GS and IS but in practice it is neither and has not sold in any great quantity -

Ahem! I've bought three!

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, HPS13 said:

It's tiny! I was given a UX as a replacement car at the dealership and... Compared with the 450 L of the IS, the boot in the UX is almost non-existent!

5 hours ago, Scotlex said:

I blame the SUV's. Every second car on the road seems to be an SUV 😅

Cars in general have become too big too, which would be fine if the roads and parking spaces had grown by a similar size.

Yes I really have a hard time driving through small country roads (feeling the road isnt wide enough) and getting into and out of some car parks... and my own driveway!

Not only the car itself though; wheels & tyres are massively oversized these days

23 hours ago, nickb2015 said:

UK sales figures are located online...only 61 model IS sold in 2020...which was expected.

That's why it was canned. A million taxi drivers swear by the IS300h. Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Good luck with your own choices.

10 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Same predicament for me - I'd have changed my current IS 300h for a new facelifted one if Lexus had brought it to UK/Europe and would probably be looking to change that again for another new one now. However, as Lexus dropped the IS and I have no desire to get the ES and at this time not a SUV either then I've kept my 2014 IS 300h going - now approaching 150k miles. I have continued to use Lexus for servicing and so I think I will see how long it remains economical to run it for as it's still as comfortable to drive as it always was and only £10 a year for VED! 

Now we have a new government I'll also be interested to see what pans out with them before I decide which way to jump regards any future car purchase... 

I don't think Lexus knows how many sales they are losing by not having the IS in the UK. Nit everyone wants an SUV. I guess the market research says otherwise. So it looks like a mid sized German saloon for me. Or may consider something else from the Toyota line...maybe a Corolla hatchback. 

6 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

It's tiny! I was given a UX as a replacement car at the dealership and... Compared with the 450 L of the IS, the boot in the UX is almost non-existent!

Yes I thought the same when I had a few as loaners - the IS boot swallows a surprising amount so long as bags are soft rather than hard cases. 

4 hours ago, nickb2015 said:

UK sales figures are located online...only 61 model IS sold in 2020...which was expected.

That's why it was canned. A million taxi drivers swear by the IS300h. Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Good luck with your own choices.

But in 2020 the replacement was expected imminently and so many potential owners would be waiting for the facelift/replacement, including me, to order a new one. In 2016 I'd bought a 2014 model with a view to change it as soon as the next gen IS was released - but if course it never made it to the UK much to my frustration. 

4 hours ago, nickb2015 said:

I don't think Lexus knows how many sales they are losing by not having the IS in the UK. Nit everyone wants an SUV. I guess the market research says otherwise. So it looks like a mid sized German saloon for me. Or may consider something else from the Toyota line...maybe a Corolla hatchback

Yes, to stay with a sensible sized non SUV looks like at some point I'll have to change brand too - had a string of German cars and some others (including a Honda) previously before I got the IS and have/had been extremely surprised and pleased with the Lexus IS for many reasons that made it more than the sum of its parts and that's why I've kept it so long - a real shame to have to change brands again after only having the one Lexus. 

I didn't like the UX at all when it was my reserve car couple of times during service. It was louder, more cheaply built and overall too similar to Toyota (CHR). Didn't ride nearly as good as an IS. I have also problems what to go after IS300h, I love this car to bits. Probably go test drive some Volvos, Hondas and maybe even some Germans. What ever is the next car, I will miss IS a lot. It loses its warranty soon so its best to get rid of it before that.

I was the same Antti, but I have bit the bullet and swapped to a UX. I was only considering Toyota Corolla or CHR (new shape), Mazda CX30 or Honda (civic or ZRV). I ignored bmw and Volvo due to possible reliability issues. In the end my UX came up and I liked the look and the Takumi spec was the same as my IS Premier with the extra modern (sometimes annoying) safety features. I have done a couple of hundred miles in it now and I am completely happy. The Dunlop runflat tyres are no noisier than the Michelins on my IS. The IS300 was the best car I have had and you are right it is a hard decision to change, the lower end Lexus cars (UX, LBX) are not built quite the same. My old car has been sold within two days of trading it in, somebody has got a really well maintained car for not a lot of money nowadays. Regarding the warranty my last service was before it’s 10th anniversary and 100k miles so actually got 11years.

Good look in your search or just keep your IS and enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2024 at 8:49 PM, nickb2015 said:

For me the CHR is ok but not comfortable on long runs. The current IS300h available in the UK is Gen 3 hybrid. My Gen 4 Prius was super efficient. I guess the UX would be ok but seems like a step backwards in terms of class of car. If you want the latest generation hybrid then it has to be a new model. I don't think Lexus realizes there is a demand for mid sized saloons. BMW, Merc and Audi still do them so why not Lexus ? The ES is an excellent car but more of a limo than for everyday use. Can drivers are now acquiring them for the same reason. I may have to get another IS300h 2020 model to at least stay with the brand. Else it's back to the Germans for me. Tesla was an experience but it's not there yet. 

I got the 2017" IS300H F-Sport (bought 2020..) I do not see any replacement for it in the coming lineup.. so I did put RC-F brakes and 19" wheels and 4x35/255 tires under it and it looks like I am going to keep this for quite some years..  I do not like the ES but I would like next gen hybrid system. But there is no way that I switch brands except my winter car/transport.....   I forgot I do not know why but every time I see a white CT I look back there is something about those lines that make my head turn.. that will hopefully be my next all arounder.. yes it is on an old Prius system but....

Edited by S.H.

On 7/8/2024 at 11:22 AM, wharfhouse said:

At the time Lexus pitched the ES as a replacement in the UK (& Europe I believe) for the GS and IS but in practice it is neither and has not sold in any great quantity - personally I would have thought the IS would have sold more than the ES. The ES has it's own values of course but they are not those of the IS or the GS. The GS was later discounted completely but the current IS lives on in other regions , though whether that will continue with a new IS is an unknown right now - maybe as a BEV???

If I remember there were three things they wanted to change.....  the extra length went to the rear legroom, gen 4 hybrid and a front wheel drive for a more simple product.. I live in Iceland but driving in the capital or park my IS safely.. is at times challenging so a larger car for me is just a big no. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links