Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

LBX and more HP? or get a UX300h?

Hi,

I'm considering a Lexus - which will be a car that I hope to keep for a long time (availing of the warranty that extends each year up to 10 years or 185k?)

I looked online at he LBX which looks like a nice car and i have only seen it in the wild a few times so can't really get an impression on its size. 

I do see that it "only" has 134hp...I'm used to at least 150 and usually up to 200hp in my recent cars and feel that even though the LBX seems to be a lovely car, I may get disappointed with the lack of power (that I'm used to).

This will be the car i take into retirement and should not b doing much driving around the country except for my only purposes (not work reasons :-).

It is likely that i will purchase in early 2025 or mid 2025.

Have any of you Lexus gurus  heard are there plans to increase the horse power on the LBX i the near future?

I also had a look on line at the UX 300h, but this is a bit dearer (€10k). This too would suit me I think and does have the oomph from the engine.

So i want to get something "nice" - with a good bit of  safety Technology.

I am completely unfamiliar with Lexus except for seeing them on the road. I did have a Merc previously - which i adored, but traded in as the mileage was getting high... And I believe the Lexus is or would be on the same level (or maybe you guys will tell me its above?)

I am planning to visit a Lexus dealer maybe next week (not really local to me) but would like a few pointers from ye on the power output of the cars? (I'm not fixated on the hp - but i also like a well made and finished car - it is as i say i'm used to the power being more that 150hp

I am currently driving a PHEV and would go for another one (not necessarily the same make) or a Full hybrid like the Lexus (or even Toyota). We have a Wall charger here at home for the wife's full EV. I have one excepting to gettin  a hybrid  - a VW GTI - always wanted one and the money looks right o the new shape as well....

Thanks for listening.

Hi Liam,

My last car was the 2.0 Corolla hybrid which is pretty much the same engine combo as the 250 UX. The 300 is the same running gear but slightly updated with more power (195 odd I think) and is a bigger car. 

I’ve changed to the LBX and I was a bit worried like you as my partner had the Yaris Cross and that was no where near in performance. 

I was surprised that off the mark and up to about 60 mph there’s next to nothing in it. Autocar tested an LBX and 0-60 was 8.4 (so pretty much the same). The LBX is about 3 secs behind to 100 so that’s when you can tell.  The Battery is much more powerful and quick to deploy as it’s quite an advance type, so it drive a lot like an EV around town only with an engine. 

The Corolla was better at high speeds as more aero dynamic so if you do a lot of higher speed distance you might notice the lower top speed but I don’t really. When I get on the motorway I sit at or around the legal limit. 

So it’s a personal choice, if you want zip around town I think you’ll be quite surprised but go and have a look. The UX is a bigger car and feels that way compared to the LBX, and you are always aware when driving it that it’s based on a smaller car. 

• Like 1

If you play golf bear in mind that the boot on the UX is small and not deep. A friend bought a UX recently from a RAV and hates it as he can’t get his clubs in with the back seat up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shufman said:

hates it as he can’t get his clubs in with the back seat up. 

I don't understand why people buy a car knowing that the boot is relatively small and then complain that they can't fit certain items inside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah. He plays golf all the time so it’s a pretty big oversight on his part. I feel the same way about people complaining about space. I don’t carry rear passengers very often so the front is the priority but the LBX is too small in the rear if you carry adults around a lot. Its about what you use the car for. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LiamDC said:

Hi,

I'm considering a Lexus - which will be a car that I hope to keep for a long time (availing of the warranty that extends each year up to 10 years or 185k?)

I looked online at he LBX which looks like a nice car and i have only seen it in the wild a few times so can't really get an impression on its size. 

I do see that it "only" has 134hp...I'm used to at least 150 and usually up to 200hp in my recent cars and feel that even though the LBX seems to be a lovely car, I may get disappointed with the lack of power (that I'm used to).

This will be the car i take into retirement and should not b doing much driving around the country except for my only purposes (not work reasons :-).

It is likely that i will purchase in early 2025 or mid 2025.

Have any of you Lexus gurus  heard are there plans to increase the horse power on the LBX i the near future?

I also had a look on line at the UX 300h, but this is a bit dearer (€10k). This too would suit me I think and does have the oomph from the engine.

So i want to get something "nice" - with a good bit of  safety Technology.

I am completely unfamiliar with Lexus except for seeing them on the road. I did have a Merc previously - which i adored, but traded in as the mileage was getting high... And I believe the Lexus is or would be on the same level (or maybe you guys will tell me its above?)

I am planning to visit a Lexus dealer maybe next week (not really local to me) but would like a few pointers from ye on the power output of the cars? (I'm not fixated on the hp - but i also like a well made and finished car - it is as i say i'm used to the power being more that 150hp

I am currently driving a PHEV and would go for another one (not necessarily the same make) or a Full hybrid like the Lexus (or even Toyota). We have a Wall charger here at home for the wife's full EV. I have one excepting to gettin  a hybrid  - a VW GTI - always wanted one and the money looks right o the new shape as well....

Thanks for listening.

They may have a sporty version of the LBX -  but whether it is ever produced and ever comes to UK is anyone’s guess. https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lbx-morizo-rr-concept/

I don’t see a different engine LBX appearing - it’ll be the current 134bhp engine or nothing I think. One thing to look at is the HO to weight ratio - you may find the LBX competitive with your previous cars, as it is smaller and a bit lighter… 

As well as LBX and UX 300h, I would add a Toyota C-HR to your shortlist. It also has a plug-in hybrid version that may be the sweet spot for you - but it has a small boot as well. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shufman said:

If you play golf bear in mind that the boot on the UX is small and not deep. A friend bought a UX recently from a RAV and hates it as he can’t get his clubs in with the back seat up. 

Hi, cheers, I’m not a golfer 🙂 i do a bit of work driving now, bur will retire in a few years. My plan is to get something now or maybe Jan 2025 (new reg year here in Ireland) on the dreaded PCP, buy it outright in 3 years and refinance for a year or two - so no big car payments when I’m on a pension 🙂 the 10 year warrenty thing from Toyota and Lexus is interesting to me (I know i need to keep the service up etc.)

7 hours ago, Tickedon said:

They may have a sporty version of the LBX -  but whether it is ever produced and ever comes to UK is anyone’s guess. https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lbx-morizo-rr-concept/

I don’t see a different engine LBX appearing - it’ll be the current 134bhp engine or nothing I think. One thing to look at is the HO to weight ratio - you may find the LBX competitive with your previous cars, as it is smaller and a bit lighter… 

As well as LBX and UX 300h, I would add a Toyota C-HR to your shortlist. It also has a plug-in hybrid version that may be the sweet spot for you - but it has a small boot as well. 

Hi, funny enough i am thinking of the Toyota CHR. I like the shape of the front- not so much the back though 😞 . Its still a contender though!

• Like 1

Hi Liam

You won't regret going for a Lexus, I'm sure, whichever model you choose.  They take their excellent Toyota cars and make them really luxurious.  The technology is amazing, if slightly bewildering at first, so be prepared for that.  

This year we traded four-year-old UX and an RX (cavernous and very well appointed - just too big for our needs). 

We now have an NX 350h full hybrid - this is plenty big enough for us as it's based on the Toyota Rav4  - and an LBX.  The LBX is more like a 2+2, and we are aware there is limited space for anyone in the back.  My wife prefers the LBX boot space though, despite being slightly smaller than the UX as it is ideal for most routine trips, shopping etc. 

We wouldn't use the LBX for a long journey, comfortable though it is. The NX is great for long trips, however, and almost as comfortable as our RX was.  The UX - well, I really liked it, especially in 'sport' mode! Of course it's a matter of choice, but it largely depends what you want a car for, e.g. a gorgeous looking runabout or a comfy motorway cruiser / family workhorse.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LiamDC said:

The LBX has only just been released so no plans for an upgrade in the near term - in fact the system power was only just upgraded from the existing Yaris Cross for the LBX, which has now become available on the Yaris Cross on the higher end grades.

• Like 1

I don’t think it needs more power really as it’s quite spritely - especially for the type of car that it is. There’s a Morizo concept with the 300hp GR Four layout which I’d be surprised if they didn’t make it but it would be really expensive. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LiamDC said:

Hi, funny enough i am thinking of the Toyota CHR. I like the shape of the front- not so much the back though 😞 . Its still a contender though!

I drove the plug in CHR and the drivetrain and performce were impressive. It was a GR Sport with 20in wheels, but the racket from the tyre was awful plus they don’t do the paddle shifters on it (bizarre) which I had on my Corolla - useful for keeping the engine on and for extra ‘gears’ and engine braking. Just a bit of extra control which I’ve got on the LBX. 

The other thing was it was Lexus money so I didn’t bother. I really wanted to like it though - the feel of the Lexus to me was loads better.. felt better connected to the road. 

• Like 2

I'm new in this forum. Found out in this Dutch movie that the LBX has 311Nm of torque which is quit a lot for this car. This is 229 foot-pound.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links