Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New NX owner questions

Hi

I've have my NX for a couple of weeks now and am slowly getting to grips with the tech, etc but have a couple of questions that I hope you can help with:

- map updates - I know this has been discussed before and I've read the recent forum posts but want to check with those who have had the maps updated to the latest version what that version is. My brand-new NX says 'problem with map update. please contact your dealer' when I check for an update and the current map version is shown below. For those who have updated successfully, is there a later version than mine available that I need to get the dealer to apply or does the error message really mean 'no update available - you have the latest version' ?

- screen setting - I've looked for an easy way to switch the screen from day/light to night/dark mode but have only found the menu option through customise-display, which is not really doable whilst driving. Other cars have a simple day/night toggle button for this. I've tried 'hey lexus' and  'change screen to dark', change display to night' etc  but with no success. Does anyone know a simpler way to do this than using the customise menu ?

Thanks 

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

If the lighting stalk on the steering column is set to 'Auto' then surely the change from day to night mode should happen automatically?

• Like 2

If the display setting is Auto then I'm sure it would - I went up a multi-storey car park ramp the other day and the display was flicking from light to dark & back as the ramp went from outside to inside. I'm looking for a simpler way to manually change the display from light to dark & back.

4 hours ago, IGR said:

If the display setting is Auto then I'm sure it would - I went up a multi-storey car park ramp the other day and the display was flicking from light to dark & back as the ramp went from outside to inside. I'm looking for a simpler way to manually change the display from light to dark & back.

Don,t Think There is One Ian..!!!

4 hours ago, IGR said:

As said, I don't think there is a way. I also find the changing from dark to light quite annoying so for now I keep it on the day light setting with no auto change.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IGR said:

Can't you set the sensitivity of the dark\light switch?

There’s no sensitivity option that I’ve seen just for the display auto switch. I presume it’s linked to the auto headlights and the manual says there’s a sensitivity option for that but I think I’ll just stick to manually changing the display when I need to. I tried having it on dark today and it was ok but it shows up a lot of reflection - more evident than when the screen is light. Ho hum. 

• Like 1

Regarding my map question, I popped into the Lexus dealer today (as my wife was test driving a Toyota next door) and asked about the map update error. I was told that the maps update OTA automatically during the smart services subscription (4 years) & manual map updates are only needed after that, so not something I will worry about until 2028…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used the updated Lexus map with new features on the way from Gatwick to Bristol. Well, I spent 2 hours driving through all B lanes. Got fed up and switched back to Waze and no diversion for the rest of the way and back. Whoever designed the Lexus maps definitely lives in Japan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

What’s the map version you have ? If you press ‘map update’ what message do you get ?

thanks

6 hours ago, Starlight said:

is that the software version ? I was looking for the map version as you said you had updated maps.....

Navigation version updated February 2024. If you go to your update history, it will show you all your updates and what the updates relates to. The car was registered 2022, had an update in 23 and latest 24.

The latest map update is 23/24 v2 PW675-00A78 in that navigation update. Not sure there is any other rolled out in Europ unless you are in USA.

Thanks - I don't have an update history yet, the car's software version is 2163 (HU). The maps are as in the photos I posted originally. I will watch for an OTA map update as there was a recent road change nearby and the current map is still showing the old layout...

I have had the car for about 6 weeks and love it.  However, I have a couple of observations and questions, if there's anyone who can advise. 

Firstly, I am concerned at how difficult it is for passengers who have never been in the car before to get out!  Unless I am missing something the doors have to be unlocked first by the passenger or driver - then the passenger must learn the knack of pressing the door handle (counter-intuitive until you have done it a few times).  Over the weekend I went to visit my family in Brighton and took them out in my new car.  They are intelligent adults who felt very claustrophobic when the doors wouldn't open after I had pulled over to let them out.  Their immediate reflex is to assume it was jammed.  It was a warm day and to stay calm, they tried to open the windows whilst trying to figure out the door handles, but the passengers couldn't open their windows, either! 

This might be a serious safety flaw, if, for instance, the driver were incapacitated in an accident. Until they have been fully briefed and trained on the car's safety mechanisms the passengers front and back could neither open the doors nor climb out of the windows if the car were involved in a collision.  

Whilst I am very comfortable with the car's foibles I don't think my family will be too keen to get back into the car until I have fully reassured them!

Any suggestions?

The second observation is that I cannot find the self parking function that we have in our LBX (see thread in that forum).  This might be because my NX is Premium Plus, not Takumi.  Or perhaps the hands-off parking function is not available in the 2024 NX at all?  

Lexus' doors take a bit of getting used to. Nx being one of the most complicated until you get used to it but never your new passengers. Rest assured, I was told, that in an accident, all the doors' safety features disengage, so you can exit freely. I hope and pray never to experience that though.

Nonetheless, my missus picked me up at the train station with her 24 Lexus UX. Well, I could not get into the car for awhile while she fiddled with the lot.

I think Self Parking is on Takumi spec and certainly not on Premium Plus but not sure whether it is activated for UK customers. Those who own NX Takumi would know.

There are various door lock settings on the new NX which can be accessed via the setup menus. We have ours set to open all the doors when you put the car in Park using the button below the gear knob.

Your passengers would not be able to open the doors if you just pulled up to let them out with your foot on the brake without selecting "P".

I suggest a careful reading of the manual regarding the door lock settings as it is not simple but, fortunately, manual override is also possible if you get stuck.

There is no self parking facility on the Premium Plus - only the Takumi has this.

• Like 5

The traditional passengers even when the doors are open will grab the handle and push out. You will have to tell them to push the silver tab in and push out. Complicated for newbies.

• Like 1

Door opening does seem very complicated but it is all for safety.

Ensure car is stopped and in park. Press handle as indicated on sticker.

If however a cyclist is passing it won't let you open the door.

In the olden days I would sometimes open the door and lean out when reversing. No chance of doing that now 😅

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Goodplan53 said:

This might be a serious safety flaw, if, for instance, the driver were incapacitated in an accident. Until they have been fully briefed and trained on the car's safety mechanisms the passengers front and back could neither open the doors nor climb out of the windows if the car were involved in a collision.  

Whilst I am very comfortable with the car's foibles I don't think my family will be too keen to get back into the car until I have fully reassured them!

Any suggestions?

There are two ways to open the doors. Pushing the button in, or, the manual override - where you pull the handle out in a more traditional movement (twice). There’s also a manual physical release in the exterior too. 

I agree, it does confuse new passengers, but most get the hang of it eventually….

• Like 1

I try and make the doors a talking point, cannot open if bicycle coming etc, to prepare the ground. I have also found that everything Lexus  needs to be taken at a marginally slower more serene pace than in my past life but that's a harder message to get across to new passengers and sometimes they are trying to get out before I've engaged Park and lexus has released the safety lock. It's only micro seconds but it catches people out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

I try and make the doors a talking point, cannot open if bicycle coming etc, to prepare the ground. I have also found that everything Lexus  needs to be taken at a marginally slower more serene pace than in my past life but that's a harder message to get across to new passengers and sometimes they are trying to get out before I've engaged Park and lexus has released the safety lock. It's only micro seconds but it catches people out.

It caught Jeremy Clarkson out when he reviewed the NX450.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links