Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

IS250 SE-L headlight bulb

Hi Chaps, 

Long time since i last posted. One of my headlight bulbs has gone. Didn't find the manual terribly helpful regarding what i need to by as a replacement, mine is a 07 IS250 SE-L so am i correct i am after halogen bulbs? and if so any recommendations on the best bulbs?

Regards

James

An SE-L will have HID headlights. The bulb type is D4S.

Swapping the bulbs is pretty straightforward, but there isn't much room for your hands unless you remove, or loosen and reposition, the air filter box to do the driver's side bulb. Removing the filler neck of the screenwash bottle to do the passenger side bulb, also helps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

Mine has normal Helagen bulbs. Not sure what year they changed to the deerer HID bulbs...

Always had from day one. If you have SEL, then you must have Xenon + headlight washers. If you don't have headlight washers, nor hid, or one of them and it is 100% SEL, then I would assume previous accident. It is common to use cheaper halogen headlights and simple bumper without washers (so it also saves money on the piping, pumps etc.) after accident on these cars.

Well... not exactly... Xenon bulbs last good 6-10 years, whereas halogen bulbs in my experience fail after 1-2 years. Now sure - I tend to drive with lights day and night, because I used to, because in much of Europe that is required by law... but its also common sense, so that obviously reflects in halogen bulbs failing after just a year. In short xenons are cheaper per hour of use by magnitude of times - sure they cost £60-£80, but they work more than 10 times longer.

The other issue - even candle light is better than halogen on IS250, whereas xenons were quite decent in my opinion. Meaning they are also work better and for longer.

Third issue - Xenons do not fail without warning, basically they start to become dimmer and turn pink, but they do not fail completely... and even if they ever fail, you can turn them on and off and they come back to life for some time. Whereas when halogen fail, they fail instantly without warning and unless you have spare and willing to replace it at night in the rain... you will end-up driving with single light or main beam.

So I would not call it a favour. That said I am really surprised Lexus would do this (i.e. replace lights with cheaper inferior units), perhaps owner requested it as I think list price was ~£600 for Xenon unit and something like ~£200 for halogen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links