Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Charging Cable not working - 13 Amp

I have an RX450h+ which is generally exceeding my expectations which is good considering its my 3rd RX. Circa 6,000 miles on the clock. However, for no reason I can identify the car has stopped charging with the 13 amp charger cable (the one with the transformer that you plug into a domestic supply) - most of the time. It does occasionally work - not always, but mostly at night. However its working less and less frequently.

I have looked to see if it is something to do with scheduling when to charge but no schedules are set as far as I can tell. I have tried the manual reset (as identified on the label affixed to the transformer) but this doesn't seem to make any difference. When I plug in the charger it initially shows the 3 lights as solid - then the charge light goes out, the power light flashes and the fault shows solid red. Also, the connector is not locking into the car.

I am currently away in France and have been for several weeks and the car has been charging just fine. I haven't had the chance to try the fast charger cable.

Has anyone any ideas? or is it just bust? the label on the transformer cable suggests if red is showing it needs servicing.

Regards

• Confused 1

Are you plugging it into some sort of extension cable on the way to your property's 3 pin 13amp socket?  It sounds similar to a problem I had where the charger transformer kept over heating and kept cutting the charging out.  I'd unplug, leave for a while and then replug back in.  It would work ok again for a while before tripping out again.  I kept repeating the process, unplug/leave/replug but eventually the 13amp plug on the extension cable went a nice shade of black and low and behold became an item for the dustbin.  In the end I opted for a wall mounted Zappi EV Charger and haven't regretted.

Looks like it was the extension. Thanks so much for your help. Now charging again without any faults. No evidence of damage to the extension but it as obviously the problem. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links