Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

5 years with the IS 300h

Hey everyone,

Time is flying by as my mother has owned her IS 300h for just over 5 years now. She previously had a 2019 black 'Premium' before opting for this sonic titanium 2014 Premier. (switch was due to job change and no longer having a company car, so she bought the next one as a private buyer).

The car is almost 10 years old now and the main reason that I wanted to create this post was to A) showcase the reliability of the car and B) highlight the 10 year Lexus warranty.

I will start off with (A), the IS has been pretty reliable and has cost her the servicing, MOT's, a set of tyres and the only expensive item were the brake pads and discs (from memory £1500 or something). Mechanically the car is great, the body is starting to show its age and mileage (just under 80k miles now). 

The Lexus warranty is great and I never knew how extensive it was until the car needed a new AC unit and that was covered!! The IS also required a new horn too, so all in that last visit cost over £860 and the warranty took care of it.

I do wish that Lexus would bring more cars to the UK as there is nothing rear wheel drive nor compact and car shaped for UK roads available. (wouldn't say no to the IS 500).

I look forward to hearing some of your Lexus Warranty stories.

IS 300h side.jpg

• Like 2

I have had mine just over 10 years it was 6 months old when I bought it. I have loved this car probably more than any other car I have owned. I have now decided to change and I am in the process of buying a ux fsport with Takumi pack. My only issues have been a faulty wiper relay, fixed for £5 (used relay) and a tpms sensor I broke but replaced for free by Lexus.  I will miss it and hope the ux is just as dependable and enjoyable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomLC500h said:

the IS has been pretty reliable and has cost her the servicing, MOT's, a set of tyres and the only expensive item were the brake pads and discs

Mine's about the same age and in addition to being reliable it has had the advantage of being fitted with magic brake pads. About seven years ago, these had worn to 10.2mm on the front (8.5mm on the back) . The dealer told me pads on the car when new would have been 12mm front (10 mm back), so they were only slightly worn at that time.

At the service for the next year they were recorded as 9mm (and 8mm on the back). Then the following year there was a bit more wear taking the measurements down to 7mm (and 6mm on the back).

But fortunately, the following year they went back up to 9 (and 8) and  the year after that up again to 9 (andnine).

And now in the latest service the good news is they're back to 10 (9).

Cynics might say they're not convinced these measurements are being carried out carefully, if at all. But I look at it as evidence that if you use the brakes gently, the hybrid transmission means that brake wear over the years will stop at some point and the pads may even regenerate themselves if you barely use the brakes at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The IS was a great motor for us. Not too big and marvellous to manoeuvre. I have had several ES’s since.  I miss the IS.  Why oh why did Lexus discontinue it?  As I have mentioned on previous posts., if only they made an IS with the comfort and refinement of the ES. Audi, Merc and BMW produce a mid sized saloon. I don’t want to be like the herd and end up in a SUV.  My sciatica might disagree mind.

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

Mine's about the same age and in addition to being reliable it has had the advantage of being fitted with magic brake pads. About seven years ago, these had worn to 10.2mm on the front (8.5mm on the back) . The dealer told me pads on the car when new would have been 12mm front (10 mm back), so they were only slightly worn at that time.

At the service for the next year they were recorded as 9mm (and 8mm on the back). Then the following year there was a bit more wear taking the measurements down to 7mm (and 6mm on the back).

But fortunately, the following year they went back up to 9 (and 😎 and  the year after that up again to 9 (andnine).

And now in the latest service the good news is they're back to 10 (9).

Cynics might say they're not convinced these measurements are being carried out carefully, if at all. But I look at it as evidence that if you use the brakes gently, the hybrid transmission means that brake wear over the years will stop at some point and the pads may even regenerate themselves if you barely use the brakes at all.

Gives a whole new meaning to regenerative braking 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notamech said:

Gives a whole new meaning to regenerative braking 😂

I'd have bought a new one without a shadow of doubt - mine is now coming up to 10 years old and 150k miles (purchased at 2 years old and 40k miles) - will keep it going now as long as it's economical to do so. Have a rear brake running a bit warm at the moment so will need to get this seen to - could mean a new caliper. Lexus have missed out on probably two new cars from me by not continuing the IS in the UK anymore... 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links