Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I've just thought to check this out from the How Many Left website   Ls400s

2023 Qtr 4  it's 

Licensed    545  and    SORN  532

but even more shocked for the stats ( with my 2006 Honda Legend )  . 

this is for for ALL Honda Legends  produced and sold in the UK from about 1988

2023 Qtr 4 

Licensed just   20  and SORN 44

The wonderful car Honda made that no-one wanted to buy !

Malc

• Like 1

That site is terrible. It doesn't separate them by year of manufacture, rather by model "name" which is useless with the "Legend"
Plenty of both the 3rd Gen (95-06) (LEGEND AUTO) and the 4th Gen (05-12) (VTEC) still on the road if you look at this page on their site.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=HONDA+LEGEND

For the LS400 there are just 2 rows but still 300 more than you thought. :thumbup:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=lexus+LS400

For the LS430, there are 1000 of us on the roads of the UK.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=lexus+LS400

• Like 2

Ah so on the Honda Legend it’s 

Live 151. and. 324 Sorn  …. still tiny numbers of all ages 

the Lexus Ls400 

303 Live and Sorn 774   the same total as I mentioned above but mixed a bit differently …….. OR should we double the figures overall do you think 🤔 

Ls430s I’ll never understand …… far too modern for me 😂

Malc 

200  x  ISF cars still alive and kickin', but only 64  x  IS 200t F sport autos?????? Err?

Whatever, it’s an indication of a paucity of numbers !

Malc 

You need to add the totals together. It may be that the LS400 is the 90-94 and the LS400 AUTO is 95-00.
So, total LS400s on the road is 303 + 545 = 848.

On the Honda Legend, that 151 is for the 96-05.
For your model (VTEC) it's 321 on the road in the UK.

13 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

For your model (VTEC) it's 321 on the road in the UK.

Nope,     I'm advised they only sold 285 in the UK ..........  of my Mk1V from inception in 2006 to departure in 2012  🤔

and of this there'll be a few scrapped I'm sure

Malc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Malc1 said:

paucity

I went there on a weekend break a few years ago there was nothing much there of any interest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Nope,     I'm advised they only sold 285 in the UK ..........  of my Mk1V from inception in 2006 to departure in 2012  🤔

and of this there'll be a few scrapped I'm sure

Malc

You can see here the sales/registrations year by year (start in 2006), so either your adviser was wrong,  or this site is wrong.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/honda_legend_ex_v6_vtec_a

And here are the figures for the KA9 96-06 Legend and since these start before 1996 they almost certainly include earlier models of the Legend.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/honda_legend_auto

Like I said, the site is really confusing w.r.t. the models. Far better to list them by year.

• Like 1

Ah ok then. Thank you 

Maybe 530 max in 2014 …… about double my initial understanding  …… very few whatever

Road Tax upcoming end this month probably about £765 or so 🥵

Malc 

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Road Tax upcoming end this month probably about £765 or so

I bought 6 months road tax and it still came to over £400. The car is being SORNed in December. This is the biggest danger - being priced off the roads by tax and insurance especially on low mileage "keepers". At least I am not paying the full price so their unfair tactic is coming back to bite them with less revenue than keeping the road tax fair or reasonable.

Gray, my road tax on each of the Ls400s is “ only “ £345 each for 12 months …… the Honda Legend road tax is dopey but she indoors really really much prefers driving the Legend …… maybe coz it’s underpowered at only 3.5ltr 😂

Malc 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 9:20 AM, BigBoomer said:

You need to add the totals together. It may be that the LS400 is the 90-94 and the LS400 AUTO is 95-00.
So, total LS400s on the road is 303 + 545 = 848.

If you click on the 'Years' tab you'll see that the 'LS400' numbers are mostly 90-96 and the 'LS400 AUTO' are mostly 97-00 (the handful of 'anomalies' may well be imports). 

It's a shame there's no way to precisely distinguish between the different Marks.  The best I could do was just assume that most cars produced on the changeover years were the earlier model.  So that would mean there are around 40 Mk1, 60 Mk2, 300 Mk3 and 450 Mk4 currently on the road.  Even given the extra age, I'm a little surprised how much rarer the Mk1/2s are, especially as (by my calculations) they didn't sell in that much smaller numbers than the Mk3/4s. 

What is impressive though is just how many Mk3/4s are still on the road compared to similar cars from the mid/late 90s.  No surprise that there's a significantly smaller proportion of Jag XJs (I owned a '95 XJR and that was scrap within 18 years), but also BMW 7-Series and Merc S-Class.  Although proportionally more of these are SORN compared to LS400s, but obviously it's impossible to know how many of these could make it back onto the road. 

Thank you Tim for your clear  analysis …….

I think / know insurers were keen to write-off Ls400s for silly issues and that may be why there’s so few left too 

My Mk3 had a gently squashed door and it was a mighty struggle to get them to Cat N my 95 car rather than send her to the scrapper …….. she’s on 250k miles now and blissfully sweet to drive still 

I am really shocked there’s so few Mk1 cars left ……. just 40 …… I’m 2.5% of that population and mine drives so admirably too 👍

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

I think / know insurers were keen to write-off Ls400s for silly issues and that may be why there’s so few left too 

I'd be surprised if that would make much of a difference as to why so many more of the earlier cars have disappeared.  I'm now wondering if the desirability of the stronger 90-94 1UZ has resulted in many early LS400s being broken up well before their time was really up.  

• Like 1

And those early engines having an after-life

I’m driving mine in the knowledge that the cambelt issue, if it ever snaps, won’t cause a catastrophe …being the non- interference one …. I’m not seeing from the limited records I have that it’s ever been changed ……. my 1991 Mk1 car that is 😄

Malc 

'And those early engines having an after-life'

When two guys came to repair my garage door last week, they admired my LS400 but talked mostly about a friend who put an LS400 engine into his much smaller Lexus (an IS, I think).  I gather they're also popular engines with stock car racers.  They won't be getting mine anytime soon (I hope).

• Like 1

Perhaps just simple old age seeing the Mk1 and 2 models down to those numbers? How many Mk3 and 4 models will be left in another 5-10 years? Expensive/difficult to find parts will sadly see more of them get scrapped over the next few years.

With the knowledge that mine is just one of 40 I shall enjoy taking it a local show this morning just that little bit more.

• Like 1

This is a brilliant synopsis. Thank you 

NOW 

I was reading they sold a million Ls 400s in the USA 

Wonder if the survivors numbers can be identified too ? 
Malc 

Might anyone know the North American statistics source for Ls400s remaining ? 

C’mon you investigative gurus  ! 
I was reading Lexus sold a million in the USA during its time …….. there must surely be lots still on the road ……. surely 🤔

Malc 

US LS400 Sales figures. These are by Calendar Year, not by MK1/MK2, etc !!!!
https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/8844-us-ls400-calendar-year-sales-figures-from-lexus/

No idea how to find out how many still exist as the USA does not have a national vehicle registration system.
It has 50 different systems (1 for each State) and most states only register cars that are in use.

Thank you but that totals only about 280,000 or so   Where’s the one million sales someone’s been telling us about ? 
Wonder if Lexus at the Centre …… whatever and wherever that might be, can advise ! 

Lexus Japan somewhere ? 

more thoughts guys please and

Thank you 

Malc 

On 7/19/2024 at 11:54 PM, scythe said:

Does the attached pdf contain the data you need to complete these calculations?  It's the older stuff on page 2 of it, rather than page 1. 

Thanks for posting that pdf.  That does give more precise annual sales figures than you can glean from HowManyLeft because that site doesn't have the annual new registration figures before 2001.  However, unfortunately it still doesn't breakdown the sales for the different generations on the changeover years.  Still, I don't think knowing that would make a big difference to the general conclusion that there are proportionally a much greater number of Mk 3/4s still on the road.         

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 6:04 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Perhaps just simple old age seeing the Mk1 and 2 models down to those numbers? How many Mk3 and 4 models will be left in another 5-10 years? Expensive/difficult to find parts will sadly see more of them get scrapped over the next few years.

That's a good point about the parts.  I wonder how many Mk1/2s have been scrapped because of hard to find parts, which is only more recently becoming an issue for Mk3/4s.  I guess only time will tell as to how many are left in 10 years.  My Mk3 has just gone straight through another MOT today, so hopefully it'll be one of them 😀  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links