Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

This is to record a somewhat harrowing test the RC recently survived with flying colours.  

Faced with a flooded road caused by torrential rain when driving home the other evening, I decided to turn back and detour to an alternative route.  This I did only to be faced with another flooded stretch that was, if anything, even worse.  I therefore decided to turn back yet again, and almost immediately ran into new flooding in the direction from which I had just come.  As a consequence I was faced with the alternatives of trying to negotiate a wheels-high flood some 70-80m long or abandon the car at the risk of it being swept away if the two areas of flooding were to merge (which I later learned they did soon after).  I decided on the first alternative knowing full well that I risked seriously damaging the engine and the electrics.  So, with the  level of the water now getting higher than my wheels and the situation not helped by successive bow waves from two SUVs that came towards me and threw water over my bonnet and windscreen, I drove through the water slowly and as steadily as I could.  Once I was through, I saw a police car up ahead in the process of setting up a no-entry barrier, and the officers informed me that there was more flooding ahead but hopefully less severe than that I had just experienced.  And fortunately they were right insofar as the flooded areas    I encountered were no higher than half-wheel height. 

To cut a long story short, the RC got me through the next 15km to my home, not exactly without further excitement but safely.  Once home,  I anxiously checked under the hood and saw no traces of wet other than a small area of muddy spray and a few leaves and bits of grass on the plastic apron above the radiator.  The next day I drove the 50km to my Lexus dealer, and, upon further inspection, the engine, the electrics and the brakes were all given a clean bill of health.  

• Like 2

Yes, I think I really did dodge a bullet, though I suspect the RC’s shape and build played a role.  I stayed in NORMAL mode as is my wont, not from conscious choice but as a form of non-choice in that I was totally focused on steering.  

• 1 month later...

I want to say that you probably shouldnt trust the dealer 100%. You should check your amp. I have the ML sound system and thought mine was going out because of water intrusion (luckily it was good). Its in the rear right luggage compartment. Hearing that it was flooding makes me concerned that there might be water in your trunk that you dont know of. Back there are 2 vents, one on each side between the fender liner of the wheel well and body of the vehicle that is essentially a large rubber flap. My trunk was just dirty with some gravel kicked in. I also ran trimmer line thru my roof drain holes, all of the drip molding, windshield, front vents. Poured water thru and used compressed air to clean it out. If it gets clogged (even spider webs) can create back-flow and then the water will push into the car interior (floor carpets, A pillar, roof liner).

The location of the flap is about halfway where the wheel would be soooo better safe than sorry

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 12.16.35 AM.png

4 hours ago, SilverViper said:

I want to say that you probably shouldnt trust the dealer 100%. You should check your amp. I have the ML sound system and thought mine was going out because of water intrusion (luckily it was good). Its in the rear right luggage compartment. Hearing that it was flooding makes me concerned that there might be water in your trunk that you dont know of. Back there are 2 vents, one on each side between the fender liner of the wheel well and body of the vehicle that is essentially a large rubber flap. My trunk was just dirty with some gravel kicked in. I also ran trimmer line thru my roof drain holes, all of the drip molding, windshield, front vents. Poured water thru and used compressed air to clean it out. If it gets clogged (even spider webs) can create back-flow and then the water will push into the car interior (floor carpets, A pillar, roof liner).

The location of the flap is about halfway where the wheel would be soooo better safe than sorry

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 12.16.35 AM.png

My sincere thanks for the advice.  I am able to confirm that the boot and the amplifier were checked at the time, and that I also had a peep under the lining myself before and after and saw no signs of wet or damp or anything visibly untoward.  I am glad to say, touch wood, that I have had no detectable issues of any sort after more than a month now.  I should add that car was in for routine servicing last week and, to my continuing relief, the same mechanic as originally inspected the car again gave it a clean bill of health.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear! Luckily where I live I don't encounter flooding but my rubber flap is definitely on its way out soon. Just finished renewing my weatherstriping and seals to get rid of wind noise so I've been inspecting every nook and cranny.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links