Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hey all,

I'm trying to find an iOS or Android app that has an exhaustive diagnostics for my 2006 GS 450h. Some have the GS model, but only go back to 2012. Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks

Yes - you need Techstream and a laptop for full coverage - but only runs on Windows.

You should be able to get some diagnostics and live data with app 'Torque'  but only covers engine data and you need a dongle to plug in to the OBD11 socket.

• Like 2

Yes Techstream IS the Only diagnostic tool you need. Basically it's what Lexus/Toyota use in their workshops. 

Look on eBay but search for sellers who offer backup services. 

What issues are you having?

Had to change a sensor in my tire. Found an (apparently) original one on eBay, but I still get an error in the dash. Wanted to understand why this is happening. 

Ian hi. Is this a TPMS sensor ?  Which for UK MOT you don’t officially need on your 2006 car 🤔

but as you’re non-uk ? Your rules might be different ! 

Malc 

Yeah, it's a TPMS sensor which the Italian MOT doesn't require either, but since the sensors are there, my ECU needs them to be functioning, otherwise it gives me an error. So unless I fix that, I'll be having the alert on my dashboard turned on forever, I fear. 

• Sad 1

Did you code the replacement sensor to the car?

With Techstream.

AFAIK, original Lexus sensors are not programmable so tyre fitters cannot clone replacement original sensors. Techstream is the only way to do it.

My tyre fitter told me the ECU should recognize the sensor automatically, but from what you tell me it should be done through Techstream?

Your tyre fitter was wrong. No TPMS sensors are recognised automatically by the ECU. They are either hard coded like Lexus originals or other brands can be programmed so that the original codes are transferred to the new sensors.

The codes are 7 digit hexadecimal numbers which in the case of Lexus ones are printed on the sensor. You may be able to find a tyre place which can read the code with a scanner, otherwise the tyre will need to be removed (partially) to be able to read the code visually.

Then you need Techstream to replace the code of the old sensor with the new one. You have to put all the codes in - the problem will be identifying which sensor you have replaced, unless you have the old sensor - you may be able to do that by deflating tyres in turn. Techstream shows the pressures in each tyre.

This document explains the whole procedure, although you won't need all of it.

PS - this is the procedure for Mk 4 GS. It may be slightly different for Mk 3.

TPMS ident procedure.jpg

OMG wot a bugger ……. the sheer stupidity of irreverent modern electronicory technology ……. that just causes unnecessary issues and expensive frustration 🥵

Malc 

Thank you so much for this clarification, John. This makes so much more sense now!

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Techstream atm and the only option seems to be the Lexus dealership, which will 9/10 charge me an arm and a leg for the work. IF they want to do the work, because often they don't do the encoding if you haven't purchased the spare from them.

Also, being mine a Gen 3, I'm also aware that not every version of Techstream works with this model and I might have to get ahold of an older version + a cable + a Win laptop. Not sure which option is quicker/cheaper/non-stressful. Just keeping the alarm permanently on is not off the table!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links