Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car packed , about to set off from South of Spain.
My wife in car. 
I cannot open door to get in.
My wife cannot get out.
She presses SOS button.
Nothing happens.
Wife in tears. We bought the top grade Lexus on the grounds it was safe and did not break down.
Eventually I ring European Lexus Assistance
They will send out someone within 90 minutes.
Something resets on car and I can open the doors with emergency lever.
i realise the Battery has become flat after loading car and my wife getting in.
At least my wife is out of the completely dead car.
After 90 minutes the helpful Lexus guy arrived and starts car with external Battery
So we think everything sorted - but NO

The car demands the security code.
I try the Lexus password - have found frequent need for that whenever my wife trys to drive - it will not recognise her key and provide a profile.
But that password includes a symbol - @. - and symbols are greyed out on the security code screen.
i ask the Lexus mechanic to sort it - luckily ? He had not left.

But No -,he tells me I must talk to Lexus.
So back to the telephone. Talk to my dealer after 5th in the line for service. I can now understand that Lexus is so unreliable that dealers cannot cope.
Dealer takes info then tells me I must ring the dealer I bought the car from new,less than a year ago.
So I ring and speak to a helpful lad who tells me, after consulting Lexus database, that I must bring the car.

I agree to this after explaining it will take me 3 days to get there including almost 2,600 miles and a ferry crossing . He is sorry, nothing else he can do.
I try to ring Lexus UK for help. No one available and message terminated - try again. After 20 similar attempts I realise that Lexus are so unreliable that their help system is totally overloaded. It will be much quicker to ring The Mail and BBC.

So I set off to drive.

After first night I realise that I cannot switch off the movement alarm while on the ferry.
so I assume the alarm will go for the 26 hour crossing of the bay of buscar, and I will have a flat Battery again when we arrive in the UK.
I am parked just inside the doors so can imagine the fun and games while 200 other vehicles try to pass to get off the ferry.

A least I can look forward to telling them all why not to buy Lexus.

I spent £80,000 buying what I thought was a top quality reliable car.
can anyone tell me that I made the right choice? Where do I go from here.???
At least explaining my experience in detail may help others to escape the Lexus Disaster..

Sorry to hear of your utter disaster  ..  I've had and driven Ls400s for decades and they are simply Old fashioned, and utterly reliable, quick and fast and capacious and immensely comfortable and cost very little to buy, maintain etc

Don't give up on Lexus, just buy the " right one "

Good luck

Malc

• Like 2

£80K for the top of the range NX .... WOW !!!!  I'd call that another issue,  or was it a special edition with added anomalies. 😔 

I too am sorry to hear that you've had problems.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HGUS said:

£80K for the top of the range NX .... WOW !!!!  I'd call that another issue,  or was it a special edition with added anomalies. 😔 

I too am sorry to hear that you've had problems.

NX 450h+ Takumi UK standard 

Not ideal at all. It is a nightmare trying to speak to most companies just now!!

Hope you get sorted.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think the reality is we have put too much tech into cars and made them completely dependent on it, which becomes an Achilles heel if something goes wrong.

True across all makes not just Lexus.

• Like 6

Sorry to read of your plight Bill and of course, no owner should be put in this position. You may wish to consider printing or having on your phone section 9-5 of the manual which explains about manual door opening as there are a few gotchas. For example, when using the internal release, the handle has to be pulled twice, the first pull enables the manual operation and the second pull opens the door. The power switch should not be ON, as this disables the manual release. Access from the outside should also have been possible using the manual door release; it may have been necessary to first use the mechanical key to unlock the door and thus enable the manual release to work.

I'm not sure about the car demanding a security code but in section 9-3 it states that if the car won't start after installing a 12v Battery, then touch the Lexus emblem side of the key fob to the power switch to start the car and wait for the buzzer to sound. The manual also recommends that if you have a jump start, keep the second vehicle connected for about 5 minutes and during that time open and close any of the doors with the power switch OFF and then turn the power switch to ON and wait for the Ready indicator to come on. Not sure what this sequence does but that's what it says on page 728 of my manual.

Keep your key in your pocket too. A friend with a Yaris recently had a call out for a flat Battery and he put the key on the dash and then closed the door! He then spent 15 minutes breaking in to retrieve the key!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I think the reality is we have put too much tech into cars and made them completely dependent on it, which becomes an Achilles heel if something goes wrong.

I have more experience with aircraft. Yes, issues occur on most every flight but the key is that the crew can always work around them and they have constant on call the real experts to help. Lexus must learn to Fail Safe and to be available to help. Without that they cannot retain their clams for safety and security.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Sorry to read of your plight Bill and of course, no owner should be put in this position. You may wish to consider printing or having on your phone section 9-5 of the manual which explains about manual door opening as there are a few gotchas. For example, when using the internal release, the handle has to be pulled twice, the first pull enables the manual operation and the second pull opens the door. The power switch should not be ON, as this disables the manual release. Access from the outside should also have been possible using the manual door release; it may have been necessary to first use the mechanical key to unlock the door and thus enable the manual release to work.

I'm not sure about the car demanding a security code but in section 9-3 it states that if the car won't start after installing a 12v battery, then touch the Lexus emblem side of the key fob to the power switch to start the car and wait for the buzzer to sound. The manual also recommends that if you have a jump start, keep the second vehicle connected for about 5 minutes and during that time open and close any of the doors with the power switch OFF and then turn the power switch to ON and wait for the Ready indicator to come on. Not sure what this sequence does but that's what it says on page 728 of my manual.

Keep your key in your pocket too. A friend with a Yaris recently had a call out for a flat battery and he put the key on the dash and then closed the door! He then spent 15 minutes breaking in to retrieve the key!

Very useful indeed. I did read the manuals a year ago but retaining 2x1000 pages is beyond me and the manuals on my iPad were locked in the car. Pity the Lexus guys had not remembered them either. Certainly that protocol was not followed. Will try to check it out when/if I get off this ferry.

i also had more fun last night trying to lock the car. Key had fallen under seat and I just got messages that door was open, not a key was in the car. When I finally removed the key, it still complained that windows and moon roof were open. I had to open them shut each of them to enable the locks to work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BillSt said:

IMG_6865.thumb.jpeg.6a737e6ad4025e941b85e0b9d634ccfb.jpeg

The demand for password

I think this is equivalent to an old radio security code when it was disconnected from a battery… 

• Like 1

What a nightmare. Hope you get it sorted quickly; can't understand why you have to take it to the original Lexus dealer, can't they talk to each other?

On a personal level, I am concerned reading this as I am not aware of a 'Lexus Password'. I certainly was never informed of one, nor have I been asked to set one.

Should I have been given one when I picked up the car?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saxacat said:

What a nightmare. Hope you get it sorted quickly; can't understand why you have to take it to the original Lexus dealer, can't they talk to each other?

On a personal level, I am concerned reading this as I am not aware of a 'Lexus Password'. I certainly was never informed of one, nor have I been asked to set one.

Should I have been given one when I picked up the car?

I vaguely remember some talk of a PIN number which was used to link my key. I use a very limited range of 6 digit pins. 6 digits was mentioned by one Lexus guy. Tried all mine and none worked so I can only assume it is some back door private Lexus code that even their own guys don’t know.

I agree, it seems intra Lexus communication might be as bad as their communication with us.

• Like 2

At last, possibly, some progress. I posted this saga on Lexus USA Facebook. 
Had a DM from Lexus UK asking for my contact details.

So may just get an email in the morning.

Whether the code is any use with likely flat Battery in getting off the ferry remains to be seen. At least it is exceptionally calm on Biscay at the moment so may be lucky. Brittany Ferries have not called me to deal with alarm but that may be just the Battery gone already or perhaps some bright guy programmed alarm to disable before Battery is fully flat. We will find out when unloading at 5:30 tomorrow evening. 

Meeting the ferry? Pigs may fly! But I will look out for media ….. Lexus owners and prospective customers need to know about this.

It’s no wonder old Ls400 prices are shooting thru the roof

Simple and more than adequate technology and zero stupid modern technology issues ruining one’s motoring life 

Wish you well getting all this sorted 

Malc 

• Like 1

There's a couple of US videos that mention this. A 6 digit code set when you first get the car to prevent unauthorised changes to your profile and might be required if alarm is triggered or Battery replaced (or, presumably, goes flat). The videos go on to tell you how to reset the code using the App (security settings). However,  the info may apply to the original Lexus Link app or might be different in the US version as I'm not seeing in my app the same screen as shown in the video.

• Thanks 1

After having to call out Lexus assistance in France to jump start my 350h, I now keep a jump pack in the glove box. Shouldn't have to, but better than being stranded (I too was loading up the car ahead of the long drive home & crossing to catch). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spock66 said:

Spot On..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

you pull the door lever instead of pressing it on the inside to mechanically open it even without power

But that does not work until you do it a second time.

10 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

There's a couple of US videos that mention this. A 6 digit code set when you first get the car to prevent unauthorised changes to your profile and might be required if alarm is triggered or battery replaced (or, presumably, goes flat). The videos go on to tell you how to reset the code using the App (security settings). However,  the info may apply to the original Lexus Link app or might be different in the US version as I'm not seeing in my app the same screen as shown in the video.

Yes, I was told that but like you, there is no such security settings on the useless UK app.

Hopefully I might now get help from Lexus UK now they have seen the history on the US Facebook page. But I presume I will have to wait until someone gets into their office. 
Still stuck on this ship but at least I have been able to purchase internet access. Now Lexus UK have my email address they might deign to help or at least tell their dealers the above info.

Even with the code, that will not help flat Battery if the movement alarm has been working. I do have an emergency Battery but stupidly placed it underneath all my packing.

If I can get the code, I might be able to persuade the ship to allow me into the closed garage to unpack and get to it. Again, if Lexus cooperate and talk to their dealer in time.

I will keep you all informed of any progress …..

10 hours ago, Alistair M said:

After having to call out Lexus assistance in France to jump start my 350h, I now keep a jump pack in the glove box. Shouldn't have to, but better than being stranded (I too was loading up the car ahead of the long drive home & crossing to catch). 

Something that we all should do - and Lexus should know and carefully inform us before they sell a car with such a problem Battery issue.

The other UK problem with Profiles and keys must also be explained. Simply not good enough that U.K. must suffer while they have solutions in the US. My dealer just says they are working on the problem - almost one year in without a solution. Also the Contact with UK Lexus is not fit for purpose having continual deletion of conversations due to no agent available. Try Lexus Help and see what you actually get !

• Like 1

Apropos the "emergency key": You first have to remove the plastic cover, then insert the key, which will unlock the emergency lever which you pull out to open the door. Then you can get in to the engine compartment and fuse box to jump start the car. 1) You probably need a screwdriver or other blade to open the cover. 2) Put the plastic cover in your pocket so it doesn't get lost.

BUT, the handbook is not clear that you must lock the emergency lever back in place using the emergency key after you are finished starting the car. If you don't, you may get continual warnings from the car that all the doors and windows are unlocked/open, and in the worst case, the alarm will go off. The manual lock works on the lever and the electronics, so the situation can be complicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Bob450 said:

Apropos the "emergency key": You first have to remove the plastic cover, then insert the key, which will unlock the emergency lever which you pull out to open the door. Then you can get in to the engine compartment and fuse box to jump start the car. 1) You probably need a screwdriver or other blade to open the cover. 2) Put the plastic cover in your pocket so it doesn't get lost.

BUT, the handbook is not clear that you must lock the emergency lever back in place using the emergency key after you are finished starting the car. If you don't, you may get continual warnings from the car that all the doors and windows are unlocked/open, and in the worst case, the alarm will go off. The manual lock works on the lever and the electronics, so the situation can be complicated.

Many thanks. If Lexus UK can get back to me with the security password then if the ship will allow me access, I may then be able to unpack and get to my second Battery.

I will then hopefully need your advice above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links