Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help with paint coming off

I have a grey 2017 Lexus IS.

The other day I went to Tesco Jet Wash and cleaned my car and after drying the car I noticed several white spots in the front of the car and even in the glass covering the headlights. I noticed some chipping as well. All the other parts of the car look okay.

My working theory is that this is from the brush that I used for hot foam. I started off with the front so is it possible that something from the brush caused this?

How can I fix this?

20240624_225447.jpg

20240624_200717.jpg

20240624_200656.jpg

Depending on your mileage & what sort of roads your car is primarily used for to be fair, that doesn't look too bad the only the reason  its obvious is because it's on a darker colour after a good wash I doubt a brush would do that (more likeky to get swirl marks with a brush) I'm sure mine have these stone chips too but its not so obvious with mine being white.

Looks like stone chips a respray job is your best option if its just the bumper & then perhaps get the clear protection  film applied if your planning on keeping it. If your feeling brave a fine brush to touch it up with matching paint stick, but if it goes wrong it will look terrible. Personally I wouldn't chance it on an expensive motor do it right.

P.S you could try a dark Polish/compound but it will return after a few washes. I have used poorboys Polish before now & achieved good results. Let somebody more experienced with detailing add their input.

Poorboys Black Hole 473ml 

https://amzn.eu/d/08zMYb6l

• Like 1

Those look like stone chips. Fairly common on all cars in the front. Especially if driven a lot on the motorway. You can buy touch up paint from eBay or lexus and touch them in. I have similar marks on the front bumper they're way too many so i touched up the obvious ones ignored the ones that cant be seen from a distance or that are not on a metal surface 

• Like 1

That looks to me as if stone chips as well. The white is most probably where the lacquer has been 'punctured'.

Get some colour coded T- cut to fill the chips (even black would be ok).

Power washing is OK, but only as a rinse. 

• Like 1

@IS300FSPORT @Notamech @PRT68

Thank you!

Regarding the options suggested:

Poorboys vs Touch up paint vs T-cut

I am thinking avoiding poorboys if it wears off with washes. 

Is touch up pain the same thing as a respray job? Would touch up paint easily come off?

I am thinking of going with T-cut due to its popularity and generally positive feedback. I am not sure between the original T-cut vs getting a grey T-cut like this one (not sure whether it will be appropriate for a 2017 grey lexus?)

Als I looked at PPF and not sure whether I can put a cut out to the front? Is it something that you would advice getting from amazon and cutting out myself?

Thank you all again!

11 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

@IS300FSPORT @Notamech @PRT68

Thank you!

Regarding the options suggested:

Poorboys vs Touch up paint vs T-cut

I am thinking avoiding poorboys if it wears off with washes. 

Is touch up pain the same thing as a respray job? Would touch up paint easily come off?

I am thinking of going with T-cut due to its popularity and generally positive feedback. I am not sure between the original T-cut vs getting a grey T-cut like this one (not sure whether it will be appropriate for a 2017 grey lexus?)

Als I looked at PPF and not sure whether I can put a cut out to the front? Is it something that you would advice getting from amazon and cutting out myself?

Thank you all again!

Touchup paint is basically a small nailpolish like bottle but you can buy the exact colour for your car by searching for your colour code on eBay. The aftermarket ones are generally paint and lacquer mixed in one and is generally ok for touching up small spots like the ones you have. Lexus also sell official touch up paint with a separate lacquer bottle. Typically you just use the brush or needle in the bottle to dab a little paint to fill the white spot. If done properly touch up paint wont come off with washing and can be almost invisible. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 10:46 AM, Notamech said:

Touchup paint is basically a small nailpolish like bottle but you can buy the exact colour for your car by searching for your colour code on ebay. The aftermarket ones are generally paint and lacquer mixed in one and is generally ok for touching up small spots like the ones you have. Lexus also sell official touch up paint with a separate lacquer bottle. Typically you just use the brush or needle in the bottle to dab a little paint to fill the white spot. If done properly touch up paint wont come off with washing and can be almost invisible. 

Thank you, I might go with the touch up paint in that case as it is a lot of tiny specks of paint which has come off. Would you recommend the 3rd party sellers from eBay, their ratings seem good.  I checked with Lexus and they said they sell 150ml bottle for £15, the price seems better than eBay (usually 30ml bottles for ~£7), but not sure if 150ml would be too much and expire?

I agree with the above. Official paints tend to be of a higher quality. While the aftermarket ones do do the job as well the end finish is much better with the official one. I didn't try the lexus one yet but have used official paints from Mercedes and it was better thickness wise etc. But some after market ones come with a needle which helps with better application vs a brush. Also yes while they dont have an expiry date in my experience the  colour becomes darker after a while. Might be down to the fact that i store it in the car and the heat from the sun etc denature it in some way. So maybe dont do that.

• Like 1

I use the OEM Lexus / Toyota touch up paints on our cars and have always been happy with the results - follow the instructions carefully though as to get the best finish it involves a little more than just dabbing some paint on.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links