Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trouble loading Maps

I use Android Auto and use Google Maps for my navigation. The last two times I have driven and initiated Android Auto I pick up my radio stations from the phone successfully but get a message "Trouble loading maps, retry" where I would expect the map to be displayed. If I retry it still fails. The only recent change to my environment was an update to Android Auto on my phone. Anyone had this and found the solution please? Looking on my phone I see maps no problem.

I get that occasionally with Waze. Unplugging the wireless adapter/USB lead and reconnecting generally fixes it.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:44 AM, Mincey said:

I get that occasionally with Waze. Unplugging the wireless adapter/USB lead and reconnecting generally fixes it.

Unfortunately that didn't resolve it but thanks for the suggestion.

By default, google maps will need data to display maps. It's always best to download a map area of where you drive most - instructions here:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

If it's not displaying maps after that - I've no idea.

Does this happen only when you do something specific? You mentioned it happens when you access radio stations on your phone but I don't know what you mean: Spotify?

3 hours ago, tHomBleached said:

By default, google maps will need data to display maps. It's always best to download a map area of where you drive most - instructions here:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Does this happen only when you do something specific? You mentioned it happens when you access radio stations on your phone but I don't know what you mean: Spotify?

Great bit of advice....thanks

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tHomBleached said:

Hi Thom, Its strange, up until now all I have had to do once moving off has been to press the AA symbol top right hand corner of the Lexus screen and my previous selection of internet radio station (Nation radio) and my position on a map is displayed in split screen mode. Both sourced through the phone. Then suddenly I start the car off the other day, the Nation radio station plays and is displayed as normal but the maps section fails with the message I quoted. 

I will certainly try your suggestion but wonder why it had previously worked OK when I have never set a default?

Many thanks for your suggestion.

1 hour ago, Navnan2 said:

Hi Thom, Its strange, up until now all I have had to do once moving off has been to press the AA symbol top right hand corner of the Lexus screen and my previous selection of internet radio station (Nation radio) and my position on a map is displayed in split screen mode. Both sourced through the phone. Then suddenly I start the car off the other day, the Nation radio station plays and is displayed as normal but the maps section fails with the message I quoted. 

I will certainly try your suggestion but wonder why it had previously worked OK when I have never set a default?

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I know there was a recent update to android auto that changed layout etc and the Google assistant moved to the side. Could you take a picture?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2024 at 4:11 PM, tHomBleached said:

Also AA is on the bottom left of my screen, not the top right which is strange- what model es do you have?

Hi Thom, been using another vehicle so haven't been able to follow your questions up until now. I have a MY23 ES300H Premium. The AA symbol is definitely top right of my screen. I tried downloading a map for offline use of my area but upon starting the car got the same "trouble loading maps" display. I then disconnected my phone and programmed a destination on the phone and reconnected it and maps came alive on the screen.  So it seems I have to start up maps on my phone if I want to see anything on the car's screen even if I have a destination or not. This wasn't the case until recently. 

41 minutes ago, Navnan2 said:

Hi Thom, been using another vehicle so haven't been able to follow your questions up until now. I have a MY23 ES300H Premium. The AA symbol is definitely top right of my screen. I tried downloading a map for offline use of my area but upon starting the car got the same "trouble loading maps" display. I then disconnected my phone and programmed a destination on the phone and reconnected it and maps came alive on the screen.  So it seems I have to start up maps on my phone if I want to see anything on the car's screen even if I have a destination or not. This wasn't the case until recently. 

Well tinkled my intrigue bone. 🤓

Do you have access to another phone that you can test to rule out the phone? 

If we can isolate if it's the phones problem or Lexus then we can start running through some more options.

On 7/8/2024 at 5:39 PM, tHomBleached said:

Well tinkled my intrigue bone. 🤓

Do you have access to another phone that you can test to rule out the phone? 

If we can isolate if it's the phones problem or Lexus then we can start running through some more options.

Hi Thom, your approach makes a lot of sense but I am a wimp regarding regarding playing around with the Lexus app environment and connectivity, so connecting an additional phone scares me. I find the software temperamental to say the least and had to re-boot it for no obvious reason numerous times in the past, which has been well reported by others on this forum. Recently I haven't had the dreaded start up again messages so I don't want to disturb anything. I was hoping there might be setting in the car or Google Maps I might have disturbed and could reset. I do appreciate the time you have spent to help me here but hope you understand my reluctance. Cheers Barry

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links