Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

It shouldnt happen

I walked out the door the other day and noticed the passenger side square thing you remove for towing was hanging off. I had previously used the car a few times in the day and never noticed it. It was hanging off what stopped it from coming off and losing it was it is attached to a piece of rubber. I put it back in place held in place by a couple of clips and it went back on perfectly. What struck me was to get it off you would have had to use a flat head screwdriver. What went through my mind was has someone attempted a theft of some description. Any thoughts anyone.

This also happened recently with my RC.  There was no damage whatsoever, and I could find no explanation other than to suspect, because the car was one of a row parked parallel to the pavement, a direct and fortunately very slight bump from another parking vehicle or perhaps a pram or bike squeezing through.  

10 hours ago, ALAW said:

What went through my mind was has someone attempted a theft of some description.

You’re quite right that it would not have popped open on its own!

Can you see any faint marks or scratches around the edge of the opening where it would have been prised off?  It’s unlikely a thief would have bothered with the Lexus advice to wrap a rag around a screwdriver blade!

So it may well be that a prospective car thief was looking to tow it away, especially if they thought they had to tackle any visible - or invisible - security devices.  

Was it parked where such an attempt might have been possible?

Alternatively, maybe someone was looking to replace a Lexus towing point cover which had been removed by someone looking to tow away a Lexus.  Or maybe building their own RC300 piece by piece?  🤔

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2024 at 10:10 AM, LenT said:

You’re quite right that it would not have popped open on its own!

Can you see any faint marks or scratches around the edge of the opening where it would have been prised off?  It’s unlikely a thief would have bothered with the Lexus advice to wrap a rag around a screwdriver blade!

So it may well be that a prospective car thief was looking to tow it away, especially if they thought they had to tackle any visible - or invisible - security devices.  

Was it parked where such an attempt might have been possible?

Alternatively, maybe someone was looking to replace a Lexus towing point cover which had been removed by someone looking to tow away a Lexus.  Or maybe building their own RC300 piece by piece?  🤔

Evening Len yes i thoroughly looked and there was no sign of any scratches whatsoever. It is parked right out side my front door in our car park. What i do know is this would not come off on its own.

26 minutes ago, ALAW said:

What i do know is this would not come off on its own.  

I’d certainly agree with that, Brent.

Of course although you only noticed it when parked outside your house, it could have been prised off elsewhere.  But that’s obviously more difficult to control.

If you think your car is likely to be a target, do you have - or would you consider - installing security cameras to cover your home parking area?  I have a very effective eufy system that ensures it’s impossible for anyone to even approach our cars without activating camera, lights and warnings!

On 6/21/2024 at 12:44 AM, LenT said:

I’d certainly agree with that, Brent.

Of course although you only noticed it when parked outside your house, it could have been prised off elsewhere.  But that’s obviously more difficult to control.

If you think your car is likely to be a target, do you have - or would you consider - installing security cameras to cover your home parking area?  I have a very effective eufy system that ensures it’s impossible for anyone to even approach our cars without activating camera, lights and warnings!

I have a doorbell but the activation camera is slow. Len i have the Blink system on my radar thinking of purchasing that system.

18 hours ago, ALAW said:

I have a doorbell but the activation camera is slow. Len i have the Blink system on my radar thinking of purchasing that system.

I can’t help you with Blink, Brent.

I only have experience of Eufy.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:53 PM, ALAW said:

I’ve got Blink - it’s quite good.  Remember to buy a 16 or 32Gb memstick because after 30 days your free subscription will run out.  At that stage, you set it to store to a memstick if you don’t want to subscribe.  

1 hour ago, Don C said:

I’ve got Blink - it’s quite good.  Remember to buy a 16 or 32Gb memstick because after 30 days your free subscription will run out.  At that stage, you set it to store to a memstick if you don’t want to subscribe.  

As it happens, this was one of the features that attracted me to Eufy!  The storage is subscription-free and occurs on mini SD Cards in the HomeBase and certain cameras.  So it’s expandable and totally under your own control.  I think files can also go to Cloud Storage but I don’t bother with that.

I have two excellent door bell cameras - both Battery powered but they could be hardwired; one of which has itself two cameras to record anything left on (or pinched off!) the doorstep.

Two external cameras are both solar powered - which works surprisingly well and I’ve only had to use the usb cable connection perhaps once a year - but then I do have them on a usage profile that will ensure the maximum Battery consumption.

I would also add that eufy service has been generally excellent.  They respond rapidly to queries and if you enjoy receiving a bit of fulsome gushing, you’ll not be disappointed!

Costco sells a lot of eufy systems if you’re a Member - and as I recall, that means you get the Two Year warranty as well - but check that first!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LenT said:

As it happens, this was one of the features that attracted me to Eufy!  The storage is subscription-free and occurs on mini SD Cards in the HomeBase and certain cameras.  So it’s expandable and totally under your own control.  I think files can also go to Cloud Storage but I don’t bother with that.

I have two excellent door bell cameras - both battery powered but they could be hardwired; one of which has itself two cameras to record anything left on (or pinched off!) the doorstep.

Two external cameras are both solar powered - which works surprisingly well and I’ve only had to use the usb cable connection perhaps once a year - but then I do have them on a usage profile that will ensure the maximum battery consumption.

I would also add that eufy service has been generally excellent.  They respond rapidly to queries and if you enjoy receiving a bit of fulsome gushing, you’ll not be disappointed!

Costco sells a lot of eufy systems if you’re a Member - and as I recall, that means you get the Two Year warranty as well - but check that first!

Second this. Eufy are very good, been using them for over a year now, no problems what so ever. Battery lasts 3 to 4 months, takes a couple of hours to charge.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links