Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

It will be interesting to see...

3 hours ago, GMB said:

from a 10 yr old Lexus V8 and without the worry of massive depreciation

or indeed a 33 year old V8 with probable ............... appreciation running forward ..............  but from a very low start of course  ............  hehehehehe, the wisdom of owning and running a Lexus V8 eh ! 😇🤣😁👍

don't tell too many people, it might catch on 

Malc

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 7:55 AM, Brian R said:

So yes hold onto it for 30/40 years and the dewy-eyed will call it a classic

When they're looking at it in a museum :-( 

Does anyone really think ICE vehicle will be allowed (by virtue of outright emissions bans or non-availability of petrol) in 30/40 years?

Russell hi.
Do you really think the rest of the world is going to abandon petrol and diesel cars …….. just coz some tiny % of the motor owning global public is being mesmerised by the “ climate change “  ethos of EV s 

green Hydrogen Power is well on its way …… even towards here, the uk and the eu and Toyota and BP will be at the fore here in the uk ……. within a very few years methinks ……..

The LC500 cars will live forever and EVs simply won’t …….  
Toyota V8s will forever be with us …….ICE  100% certain 👍

Malc 

Malc,

No I don't think the whole world will abandon ICE (can't imagine Africa without the Toyota pickup) but the developed world (excluding the USA) is certainly heading that way and the UK faster than most.

The UK ban on new ICE cars and vans will come into play in only six years time. In fact it will probably happen long before that as manufacturers won't want to risk a £15,500 fine (2024 figure and certain to increase) for each vehicle they sell outside their ZEV quota and will cut their ICE offerings to the bone or just drop them altogether.

I would wager that in much less than six years, it will be difficult to purchase a new ICE car excluding exotica.

Hydrogen and synthetic fuel doesn't work as the UK legislation mandates ZERO tailpipe emissions; only EVs can do this.

ULEZ zones are going to get tougher and more widespread as it's easy money for cash strapped councils.

Pay per mile will probably have to happen as the tax take on petrol and diesel diminishes and you bet it'll be graded like VED so that the nasty ICE cars pay more.

Given the ever decreasing number of ICE vehicles on the road, how long will your local filling station stay in business?

I fear it won't be many years before petrol will be a luxury item only available to those with deep pockets.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm 100% against the stupidity of the whole thing and don't even start me on the crackpot "make the UK 100% renewable energy" nonsense but is just too juicy a low hanging fruit for politicians not to pluck it.

• Like 1

Russell, Hydrogen is already the “ green “ power source for much of EU trucks and buses ……. and the uk police Toyota  Mirai around Heathrow region …….. and well proven 

…… the 1200 BP fuel stations around the uk will in some short measure have their own UK BP produced Hydrogen fuel for that 5 min fill-up, like with E5 right now 😅 …….. I use E5, does the LC 500 too ? 

ICE might be on that decline but EV will methinks go downhill amazingly rapidly once the HP sauce gets on board ……. within 3 years I’ll bet …….. indeed the new TV Toyota adverts showing ALL the marque fuel options ……. do now state “ Hydrogen “ too 

POLITICS in general will be a spent factor come end of next week and money raising will be on the agenda for sure and it ain’t gonna be just ICE cars that’ll be zapped to nigh extinction and only those with deep pockets good to go on petrol ……. Lexus V8 owners will find the way to refuel I’m sure 

ULEZ will raise more and more and Sadiq and those akin around the UK will find excellent ways to over-tax ALL cars ……. jugging out zero emissions or nay …… no motorists will escape paying for these Councils largesse and inability to fix their accounts in more challenging ways ……. all and any motorists are an easy ££££ target to drain and drain 

LC500s will survive and that niche owner will find a way to keep going …… as will all us V8 owners ……. fingers xd eh ! 🤞🤣👍

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Russell, Hydrogen is already the “ green “ power source for much of EU trucks and buses ……. and the uk police Toyota  Mirai around Heathrow region

LC500s will survive and that niche owner will find a way to keep going …… as will all us V8 owners ……. fingers xd eh ! 🤞🤣👍

Malc,

Police/military and the like will obviously enjoy special dispensations but Hydrogen combustion vehicles using things like Toyota's new engine (as opposed to Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles which are just EV's with a different kind of battery) cannot pass the UK ZEV tests as they emit hydrocarbon residue from their tail pipes (lubricant being burnt) and are not ZERO emissions. Yes stupid but that's the current law.

I'm sure the well funded and dedicated enthusiast of the ICE will be able to continue for some time but it will be increasingly expensive and inconvenient making the prospect of the LC being a usable classic in 30/40 years highly dubious IMNSHO. I'm personally hoping that I'll be able to enjoy mine for the remaining 8.5 years of warranty!

On 6/24/2024 at 12:37 PM, Ruffle said:

When they're looking at it in a museum 😞 

Does anyone really think ICE vehicle will be allowed (by virtue of outright emissions bans or non-availability of petrol) in 30/40 years?

Been thinking about this statement and it got me wondering what everyone thinks is going to happen to existing ICE cars?  I’m not convinced they will be banned but will they be expensive???

19 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Oh my …….. so how’s my 1932 Triumph Southern Cross Sports Tourer going to cope 👌

Malc 

About as well as my 1930 BSA Sloper or my '73 H1D Kawasaki Triple :-)   Greta would explode if she saw the 2-smoke fumes coming out the back :-) :-)

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Been thinking about this statement and it got me wondering what everyone thinks is going to happen to existing ICE cars?  I’m not convinced they will be banned but will they be expensive???

"got me wondering what everyone thinks is going to happen to existing ICE cars?"

Great question!

5 hours ago, pfn said:

"got me wondering what everyone thinks is going to happen to existing ICE cars?"

Great question!

Those that survive into older age will become classics of the future and petrol will forever be available all the while the Exxon’s and BPs of this world continue to crack fuel from the Middle East etc …….. forever methinks 

Malc 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

So much is technology dependent. EV have hurdles to jump to get anywhere near the targets the proponents of climate change are wishing for. Indeed, without question the govt in this country is guilty of setting targets that in all likelihood are certainly not achievable unless they bring tax payer money back into the fray. For example, the story this week that Vauxhall owners are threatening to dump UK EV production because of the aforementioned targets. Clear sign that manufacturers are sending govt a message to get realistic. That is of course just the UK.  Large areas of the rest of the world remain totally dependent upon ICE for the foreseeable future if for no reason other than cost and infrastructure prevent any transition to EV. Indeed, I suspect we go down a table of Per Capita Head data and just draw a line under the first country where said data nullifies any prospect of EV in it's current state of development. Remember, we here will tend to see this issue through the prism of our own situation which is not really reflective of the world intoto.

Somewhere in a distant future tech as likely progressed and resolves barriers to mass ownership and the volumes eventually swing pro EV driving down it's unit cost whilst pushing up the unit cost of diminishing ICE sales.

In conclusion, our govt are already guilty of being too out of step in matching policy with tech development. That probably will not stop Labour from compounding that silliness, but 4 years is not long and that is about how long it will take for marginal voters to remember just how god awful they are. Then comes the unwind.

We've been here before and before and before.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

• Haha 1

Reading some of tech stories it might just be there is an IQ barrier to ownership as well. I include myself on the wrong side of that line. I mean come on I just want to drive my car not study for a MSC in sciences to operate it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

Nice one but maybe needs a bit of nitpicking accent tuning:  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.   

Désolé de vous déranger, mais votre grammaire a besoin d'être peaufinée. Here's another good one for you:  On récolte ce qu'on sème.

22 hours ago, Ruffle said:

About as well as my 1930 BSA Sloper or my '73 H1D Kawasaki Triple :-)   Greta would explode if she saw the 2-smoke fumes coming out the back :-) :-)

Remember the old total loss chain oilers as well. Plus the rich blue white smoke from the early two-strokes (petroil mix) especially after a bit of red-ex down the carbs to clean the ports🤗. Plus Triumph twins oiling the environment one leak at a time.

• Like 1

Stephen , Gray. ……..

Thinking ……. I suppose we’ll reach the time when traffic cops will be able to stop cars dead in their tracks by flicking some switch or other to simply remotely disable a car’s modern incomprehensible electronics …….. maybe by simple reference to a DVLA number plate ……. MSC qualification or nay 🤔😄🤣

Malc 

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I suppose we’ll reach the time when traffic cops will be able to stop cars dead in their tracks by flicking some switch

Already there on most if not all EV's and IIRC mandatory fitment to all new cars sold in the USA from 2026. I don't know if the UK police forces have general access to such things but they've been lobbying for it for many years.

The future is already here.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Ls400s will soon be changing hands at @£35k  🤣

…….. electronicless steeds of supreme Lexus quality  👌

Malc 

Oooooh, it's a bidding war a la Cypriot style (which means if it doesn't sell put the price up). I offer an SC 430 for £249,999.99p plus a jumbo size box of tissues to mop up my tears after my ever so reluctant sale.

• Thanks 1

Nope, the Ls400 replaces the dopey huge great cavernous zedtroniklly inept modern new Lexus cars 

your Sc430s are very posh too but minimalist midget sized non-cavernous zero capacious TWO seaters with extra seating for a very small legless Pinocchio or two ……….. am I right ??🤩

£249.99 is about right 👏🤣

Unless your talking about the Jag 🤔  🥵

Malc 

3 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

I'll give you £50 each right now and take them off your hands, think of the saving in petrol... 🤣

Oh my …….. you think Stephen might be tempted to offload both his Sc430 AND his Jag too 🙌 🤣😂🤫

Malc 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

So much is technology dependent. EV have hurdles to jump to get anywhere near the targets the proponents of climate change are wishing for. Indeed, without question the govt in this country is guilty of setting targets that in all likelihood are certainly not achievable unless they bring tax payer money back into the fray. For example, the story this week that Vauxhall owners are threatening to dump UK EV production because of the aforementioned targets. Clear sign that manufacturers are sending govt a message to get realistic. That is of course just the UK.  Large areas of the rest of the world remain totally dependent upon ICE for the foreseeable future if for no reason other than cost and infrastructure prevent any transition to EV. Indeed, I suspect we go down a table of Per Capita Head data and just draw a line under the first country where said data nullifies any prospect of EV in it's current state of development. Remember, we here will tend to see this issue through the prism of our own situation which is not really reflective of the world intoto.

Somewhere in a distant future tech as likely progressed and resolves barriers to mass ownership and the volumes eventually swing pro EV driving down it's unit cost whilst pushing up the unit cost of diminishing ICE sales.

In conclusion, our govt are already guilty of being too out of step in matching policy with tech development. That probably will not stop Labour from compounding that silliness, but 4 years is not long and that is about how long it will take for marginal voters to remember just how god awful they are. Then comes the unwind.

We've been here before and before and before.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

It does very much feel like the transition to EV or hybrid is real and the route the UK is taking.  To that end, I do believe that ‘interesting’ ICE petrol cars will be come much rarer as time goes on.  I’d go as far as to say that the car enthusiasts have changed too, with tech driving what’s desirable. 

I hope that over the coming decade or so, driving a big V8 is still achievable and I think I’ll be taking the gamble with the RCF by finding out.  I do see it however becoming a second car over the coming few years and will probably replaced with a diesel daily driver.  

lets hope that these cars will become classics that continue to be desired by enthusiasts going forward.  I understand that EVs have their strengths but show me one that sounds like a V8 and is full of emotion!

• Like 1

EV with that V8 roar can surely be obtained with the flicking of an electronic button that Alexa even could provide …….. 

NB Lexus Ls400s are too refined to ever roar …… near silence is their V8 virtue 😂

Malc 

9 hours ago, Malc1 said:

EV with that V8 roar can surely be obtained with the flicking of an electronic button that Alexa even could provide …….. 

NB Lexus Ls400s are too refined to ever roar …… near silence is their V8 virtue 😂

Malc 

Sounds good, wonder if I can get the car to sound like an LFA?!?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links