Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

It will be interesting to see...

what happens to used LC500s prices. With no more available new cars at a dealer will prices on used ones hold and then start rising?

I'm interested.

11 hours ago, pfn said:

what happens to used LC500s prices. With no more available new cars at a dealer will prices on used ones hold and then start rising?

I'm interested.

Yes, it's an interesting topic. The same with any "attractive" old V8 such as the ISF. It makes no difference to the enjoyment of the car but it will be an issue if the government start to tax them off the roads in the future. With the advent of the electric age will they then become rarer? More desirable? More like antiques or throwbacks to another age?  Will V8 owners be seen as energy vandals? Renegades? Old duffers clinging to old technology? Time will tell.   I don't care.  I'm keeping mine for the fun of it. I will still use electricity for the fridge and the Telly etc. but that's it.☺️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMB said:

Yes, it's an interesting topic. The same with any "attractive" old V8 such as the ISF. It makes no difference to the enjoyment of the car but it will be an issue if the government start to tax them off the roads in the future. With the advent of the electric age will they then become rarer? More desirable? More like antiques or throwbacks to another age?  Will V8 owners be seen as energy vandals? Renegades? Old duffers clinging to old technology? Time will tell.   I don't care.  I'm keeping mine for the fun of it. I will still use electricity for the fridge and the Telly etc. but that's it.☺️

Time to go deep. If nobody's got it in for you then you are definitely doing something wrong with your life. Needs a bit of thought, but persist and it will come.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pfn said:

I'm interested.

Well I never 🙃

Brilliant old and expensive cars usually go the way of Old Bangers that cost too much for mere mortals to run and play with even ....  there's some wondrous old RRs and Bentleys and Maseratis and whatever ..........  hugely expensive brand new but wither away over time ......  and too expensive for mere mortals to keep on the road and their prices just kollapz I'm afraid  UNLESS there's a paricular wealthy following but I doubt even the very best Lexus will do other than be too expensive to maintain .....  well, that's if one's going to get the joy of actually using it !

Unles of course you're buying an early'ish Ls400 well, then those prices really are climbing thru' the roof BUT of course way way down on what they cost brand new !

And the poor souls that bought them brand new and rarely used them, to preserve their " value " really did lose out on a wondrous life driving their brill car  ...  and of course they've mostly passed on to that Big Breaker up in the skies   😇

Malc

• Like 3

Always remember folks, what is always coming but never arrives. 

tomorrow 

I enjoy every single Mile. It will probably out last  me. 

as for Battery cars, 🚗 they are not the future. 

• Like 3

Not driving a wonderful car to preserve it's value is a bit like not ****ing your girlfriend out of respect for her next boyfriend! 🤪

Admittedly I don't get out in my toys as much as I would like, but that's not out of regard for resale value - more a factor of work and the weather.

I don't think LC500 values will plummet in the same way Soarers and LS400's did in the 90s/early 00s, but equally I'm not sure they will be an "investment" car either.  They are low-ish volume, but not in the same league as the LFA.  The low sales number reflect that for many people Lexus still suffers from badge snobbery rooted in post WW2 thinking, this means the potential audience to buy them in the future will be lower.   (I blame the demise of Athena and other similar shops where you could go in and buy a big Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini poster to put on your wall aged 11 and then go hunting once you had the money 30 years later!) 

• Haha 4

I don't care, i don't care, I don't care whatever the question. I just want a Green car !! For clarity, not talking about anything ,but the colour.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Boomer54 said:

I don't care, i don't care, I don't care whatever the question. I just want a Green car !! For clarity, not talking about anything ,but the colour.

Norri Green with a tan interior? 🤩

pistachio with nuts then 🙃

green is a rarity so any LC pistachioed might have great lasting value .........  unless someone else devours if first

Malc

In the NW of England if you park your car in the shade ( there is no Sun ) and facing North then it will go green sooner or later.

• Haha 5

On 6/17/2024 at 8:50 AM, BrettMRC said:

Norri Green with a tan interior? 🤩

I cannot believe that the convertible in Norri Green with tan interior and tan soft top will not become a classic - even if the value does not skyrocket, it just looks right. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the Forum John  ......  presuming your's is the Norri, nutty pistachioed green with edible walnut Tan interior  ???.........  you've bought one then ???   🙃

Malc

The real issue here is that the car market is changing rapidly. A- segment cars are disappearing as manufacturers are taking them out of the market. The Ford Ka, C1, Aygo, etc. Then prices have doubled/tripled for new cars. Thirdly the younger generation sees cars as a commodity, something that brings you from A to B. For them it does not represent status nor a feeling of freedom as it did when i was 18.  They are not prepared to spend 30/40k for a car that looses value the day you own it. Enter subscriptions like mobile phones. Volvo has over 30% on subscriptionbase now.  Hire a car and dump it when you dont need it anymore. Where does that leave the enthusiast cars? the V8 etc? Well maybe just maybe in 10/20 years the owners will be seen upon as todays owners of fine horses. For Lexus it will remain a niche market, small and smaller so i do not expect values to increase. Other top brands like Ferrari etc are producing luxury products, status symbols like LV, Patek etc. Lexus is nowhere near. If you own a Lexus V8 and can afford to keep it do not sell. Keep it even if you dont drive it. Store it as you will be very very sorry in the future you sold it. As a famous person once said "you have to recognize it to see it".  

• Like 5

Google ‘LC500 future classic’ and there’s a lot of views that it could be. 
It’ll soar in value in years to come… just after my executors sell mine probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

When I look at some of the junk I drove around in as a young man, much of which is now regarded as "classic" then I am amazed. They have no right to be deemed as such, they were and remain rubbish. However, anything old enough picks up that misnomer by default, when in reality there was and never will be anything other than age that warrants the "classic" title. So yes hold onto it for 30/40 years and the dewy-eyed will call it a classic, but on this occasion, and largely because of its rarity and ageless design, that title will be more deserved than its current contemporaries.

As Andy says above, mine too will acquire classic status long after I've sold it for a song. Eventually someone will spend a fortune bringing it up to scratch, never to recover what he/she spent doing so, such is the way of classic cars. I will also guess that said person will today be in their 20/30's and in due course in a better financial position than they are now and looking to a project that will provide a bit of "me time". In turn, we will all wonder at what we see at the car show and say to ourselves, "If only I had kept mine".

• Like 1

Brian hi …….. “ 30/40 years and the Dewey eyed will call it a classic “  ………. 
wonder if my two Ls400s are now creeping into that 😂

If anyone has a 30 years young LC500 then that will be the rarest of rare classics BUT not so sure its value will hold-up 🤔 …….. to anywhere near the price now new 🤫

Who knows eh ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

"Who knows" is probably part of the fun Malc. Got to say when I hark back to my motorcycling days and the steeds I rode then, I'd be a wealthy man on those alone. I also never dreamt in my wildest dreams a Ford Cortina Mark 3, 2 door GXL would now be worth £12.5K or getting on for 10 times what I paid for mine second-hand and probably 3 or 4 times what is was new! Not a bad roi and others in my "fleet" have fared even better. So yes hold onto yours, you never know........

Ford Cortina

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

When I look at some of the junk I drove around in as a young man, much of which is now regarded as "classic" then I am amazed

I am amazed too. I had what are considered classics today - Rover P6 V8, Austin healey 1098 ( tuned up because it was sooo slow ), and others. Friends had mini coopers, Sunbeam alpines, Jags etc etc. I cannot believe that they have become classics or that they exist at all today because they rusted and rotted beyond repair like the clappers. The old Cortina 1200s with the three main bearing crank was a disaster too. Some of them  were "bangers" even then. Don't even get me started on bog standard minis.

• Like 1

Interesting topic closed - why?    

Quote "Mines a Rolex but they’ve misspelt the dial to read Timex …… but it works fine and servicing costs …… well, it needs a new Battery every few years ….. a fiver ££ maybe 😂"

You are lucky to get a watch Battery to last more than 12 months nowadays.  BTW  £12.50 just paid for a replacement watch Battery yesterday.

I bet this comment winds up the censor - but with a Battery watch they don't need winding up - Hang on this is getting confusing now.🤔

Expecting to get kicked or banned for this act of disobedience. 1984.

9 minutes ago, GMB said:

Quote "Mines a Rolex but they’ve misspelt the dial to read Timex …… but it works fine and servicing costs …… well, it needs a new battery every few years ….. a fiver ££ maybe 😂"

You are lucky to get a watch battery to last more than 12 months nowadays.  BTW  £12.50 just paid for a replacement watch battery yesterday.

I bet this comment winds up the censor - but with a battery watch they don't need winding up - Hang on this is getting confusing now.🤔

admins sniffin

9 minutes ago, GMB said:

Quote "Mines a Rolex but they’ve misspelt the dial to read Timex …… but it works fine and servicing costs …… well, it needs a new battery every few years ….. a fiver ££ maybe 😂"

You are lucky to get a watch battery to last more than 12 months nowadays.  BTW  £12.50 just paid for a replacement watch battery yesterday.

I bet this comment winds up the censor - but with a battery watch they don't need winding up - Hang on this is getting confusing now.🤔

It was actually subject to spammer targeting. we banned out 3 spammers and they were using it to bump up spam posts. 

Anyway, this is off topic so continue with the Valuation of the LC 😉

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Steve said:

It was actually subject to spammer targeting. we banned out 3 spammers and they were using it to bump up spam posts. 

You must be doing a good job because I don't think I have ever seen any spam on this forum, just a few funny off-topic comments which can be quite amusing.   A friend of ours fell for a fake "give-away" promotion many years ago, they harvested his contact list and we are still getting email spam from these crooks after all these years. We still get one lot sending 10 identical spams within an hour for a bogus phishing gambling site. The bad part is that you cannot actually block them as they spoof new fake adresses every time. 

• Like 1

Thinking brand spanking new price was @£110k on the road ? 
When there's just the handful left in 30 years time ………. one might fetch its £100k mark, but depreciation would have dropped its then purchasing power value to maybe £40k in todays money value 

This is very good at 2.5X ……. but whomsoever owns it won’t have enjoyed very much in day to day driving coz of the worry of over-use and value diminishing …….. going to the grave wishing they’d used her more and sod the value …….. the kids will only spend its value when sold, on happiness and joy 🤩 

Buy One and use it very fully and don’t worry about its “ value “ 

Malc 

26 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Thinking brand spanking new price was @£110k on the road

But you can have just as much enjoyment, if not more, from a 10 yr old Lexus V8 and without the worry of massive depreciation, vandalism, thieves ( a bit less maybe ), envious car scratchers etc. Bank the remaining dosh and the £4K interest p.a. will pay for the running costs too.

BTW I think one may find that one does not look as "strange" - for want of a better word -driving a less conspicuous, but very capable, vehicle.

I suppose, the way we are heading, in the near future £100K will just about fill an Aldi shopping trolley with the week's consumables. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links