Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is it time for a new car or keep the GS450h?

Hello,

Wife has a Lexus Rx450h (newer & under warranty) as the family car and I have a Lexus GS450h (older 07 model) as my speedy, wafty darling. Both have full Lexus service history and I'm very happy with them. At least, until today.

I was on my way to service and change all the 4 shocks on my 07 GS450h at Lexus and the dreaded "Check Hybrid system" came up. I took a good 1 hour detour to test it out and it drove fine with no issues with Battery charging and discharging. I've just arrived home to check the code and the only code is the P0A7F which indicates the hybrid Battery is deteriorating.

The cost of changing all 4 shocks is not cheap and I expect it to be £££ but I was prepared for this as the car is only 90k miles. However, if the cost of Battery replacement is added, this becomes £££++.

Instead of spending all this money, would I be better off just getting a new car? And what car does a man go to after owning a GS450h?

What is the sensible thing that you would do?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gentleman said:

Hello,

Wife has a Lexus Rx450h (newer & under warranty) as the family car and I have a Lexus GS450h (older 07 model) as my speedy, wafty darling. Both have full Lexus service history and I'm very happy with them. At least, until today.

I was on my way to service and change all the 4 shocks on my 07 GS450h at Lexus and the dreaded "Check Hybrid system" came up. I took a good 1 hour detour to test it out and it drove fine with no issues with battery charging and discharging. I've just arrived home to check the code and the only code is the P0A7F which indicates the hybrid battery is deteriorating.

The cost of changing all 4 shocks is not cheap and I expect it to be £££ but I was prepared for this as the car is only 90k miles. However, if the cost of battery replacement is added, this becomes £££++.

Instead of spending all this money, would I be better off just getting a new car? And what car does a man go to after owning a GS450h?

The whole Battery won't be fault - it would be individual cells - these can be replaced and the Battery reconditoned with warranty for circa £600 by independant companies. The car in current state wont be worth much at all (with its faults) if you decide to part exchange it or sell.

On a side note did it have a Hybrid Health check last year? or is it too old for that.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

The whole battery won't be fault - it would be individual cells - these can be replaced and the battery reconditoned with warranty for circa £600 by independant companies. The car in current state wont be worth much at all (with its faults) if you decide to part exchange it or sell.

On a side note did it have a Hybrid Health check last year? or is it too old for that.

Thank you. Definitely won't be worth much and to be honest, makes me wonder if all the lexus FSH is a bit of a waste. The last service was at Lexus last year April and it's only done 4k miles since but I am not sure if a Hybrid Health check was also carried out. 

Will reconditoning the Battery a reasonable medium term fix or a short term fix of another year? I was going to spend circa £2k on full shocks to reinstate the ride quality but if the reconditoning of the Battery will only last a few months to a year, then it may just be a waste of circa £3k.

Depends on why you want to change cars? Are you bored of the gs450h is it that you just want to experience something different now? If so then that rationale works.

Else from a purely financial pov retaining your existing car is always the better option. Sounds like your decision to replace the shocks is not due to faulty shocks but because you think it might improve the ride quality? If so then i would say defer this job until there is an actual issue. If its actually damaged then i would say get a new car as thats nearly £3000 you will be putting into this car that could go towards you driving something newer.

As far as fixing the Battery goes. Independent garages/companies will replace the bad cell and recondition the other cells. So in theory it should last a good few years but like with anything else things can go bad again and you will be supported only upto the warranty period the company provides. So in theory you can get mayne another 2-3 years out of this car by spending £1200 or so on reconditioning the Battery. At this point the car will be 20 years old already and you may want to change it then if not now.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Depends on why you want to change cars? Are you bored of the gs450h is it that you just want to experience something different now? If so then that rationale works.

Else from a purely financial pov retaining your existing car is always the better option. Sounds like your decision to replace the shocks is not due to faulty shocks but because you think it might improve the ride quality? If so then i would say defer this job until there is an actual issue. If its actually damaged then i would say get a new car as thats nearly £3000 you will be putting into this car that could go towards you driving something newer.

As far as fixing the battery goes. Independent garages/companies will replace the bad cell and recondition the other cells. So in theory it should last a good few years but like with anything else things can go bad again and you will be supported only upto the warranty period the company provides. So in theory you can get mayne another 2-3 years out of this car by spending £1200 or so on reconditioning the battery. At this point the car will be 20 years old already and you may want to change it then if not now.

Appreciate your response. The shocks are actually not very good. They were recommended for a change by Lexus last year and the ride quality is no longer like what it was but I've not bothered with it because I don't drive it often. However, I knew Lexus will point it out again during its service so I am prepared for the call to just authorise the work today. £600 to sort the Battery for another 2 - 3 years doesn't sound bad, but when I add the shocks - it just makes me wonder if that total cost is.

I would rather keep driving thesame thing if it works and doesn't give me any issues. If the best option is to buy something newer, I am not even sure what that would be as I've enjoyed this car.

@Notamech, you just gave me an idea. Given the P0A7F code is the only fault on the car. I might actually just clear this fault and see how long it takes to come back on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gentleman said:

@Notamech, you just gave me an idea. Given the P0A7F code is the only fault on the car. I might actually just clear this fault and see how long it takes to come back on. 

Yeah try that. And i totally understand. Its getting harder and harder to choose which car to buy with companies these days primarily offering SUVs and arguably not as well made as older cars. If you're happy with the car and plan to keep it for the next 5-6 years then spending ~3k on it makes sense.

Thing to note is that £600 will only get you a replacement cell. I think most Battery repair places also offer a reconditioning of the remaining cells for ~1200 or so. I believe they run it on some machine to get rid of the deposits that form inside that reduce the Battery life e.g on a normal lead acid Battery sulfation is what kills it and some machines can boil off these deposits. I feel like its something similar that they do for the NiMH batteries to kind of restore them to get the best performance. Maybe speak to one of these places and get a quote as this might make sense vs replacing 1 cell only to find out a year later that another one has conked off.

Also on the shocks consider ordering them from amayama or other places where you can get original parts cheaper and fit them at a local indie that will save you a ton of cash as in my experience the cost of parts at lexus is sometimes double or even 3x the price of what you can expect to pay elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Yeah try that. And i totally understand. Its getting harder and harder to choose which car to buy with companies these days primarily offering SUVs and arguably not as well made as older cars. If you're happy with the car and plan to keep it for the next 5-6 years then spending ~3k on it makes sense.

Thing to note is that £600 will only get you a replacement cell. I think most battery repair places also offer a reconditioning of the remaining cells for ~1200 or so. I believe they run it on some machine to get rid of the deposits that form inside that reduce the battery life e.g on a normal lead acid battery sulfation is what kills it and some machines can boil off these deposits. I feel like its something similar that they do for the NiMH batteries to kind of restore them to get the best performance. Maybe speak to one of these places and get a quote as this might make sense vs replacing 1 cell only to find out a year later that another one has conked off.

Also on the shocks consider ordering them from amayama or other places where you can get original parts cheaper and fit them at a local indie that will save you a ton of cash as in my experience the cost of parts at lexus is sometimes double or even 3x the price of what you can expect to pay elsewhere.

On the whole, I feel so spoilt by the size, comfort and power of the GS. I will struggle to change to anything smaller.

Thank you, never heard of Amayama. I've just had a look on there for 2007 GS 450H SE-L A shock absorbers and they are £483 each. Interestingly they are £407 on Lexuspartsdirect, so £300 cheaper. I am not sure if the support assembly and/or springs would be needed. Still, it is worth knowing for future reference as I am sure there would be cheaper things on there. Hopefully, I won't need to be searching for more parts or spending more money after this.

@cruisermark thank you. I've had a look and I think I will get the Gold £1200 option. In the immediate period, I will reset the fault tomorrow morning and if it comes back again, it would be straight to Hybridsolutions. I will get in touch with him to understand how long it takes as Northampton is about 3 hours away from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gentleman said:

On the whole, I feel so spoilt by the size, comfort and power of the GS. I will struggle to change to anything smaller.

Thank you, never heard of Amayama. I've just had a look on there for 2007 GS 450H SE-L A shock absorbers and they are £483 each. Interestingly they are £407 on Lexuspartsdirect, so £300 cheaper. I am not sure if the support assembly and/or springs would be needed. Still, it is worth knowing for future reference as I am sure there would be cheaper things on there. Hopefully, I won't need to be searching for more parts or spending more money after this.

@cruisermark thank you. I've had a look and I think I will get the Gold £1200 option. In the immediate period, I will reset the fault tomorrow morning and if it comes back again, it would be straight to Hybridsolutions. I will get in touch with him to understand how long it takes as Northampton is about 3 hours away from me.

Quite surprised to hear that amayama is more expensive than lexus. Anyway im sure if you search the part number in google and scour the internet you will come across deals to be had. Here is one example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355620279628?itmmeta=01J09RH1D2QBNJEWYP8QDK0SFN&hash=item52cc9ed54c:g:~ZYAAOSwqZJmFZrl&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8EFJNTib%2B7wOpRNianwN8qrtZFnC2j2%2B759ApwO6fWx18mFdLcrvblfJeB5YOuwh12jQQxWPvGvfTe9LLHcxPUkWipuS3luU3cQ8yo9enlm5rqHsGORDyuxnsJz%2Fa%2B5%2F31BCBlqfEnBD4%2FeZU9DSI2%2BBrh1SBA1ULQuFLs0gKv2RQWXTVBvirPmAdOwiWi8FiZEcBeHPwrqSKq%2FscQ3T3Pe1VAmXsnxH4D7DdAOsW0sAt6ftK%2Bla%2BqMudAFw0Ua8svCuZb6rxZV0J%2B%2F6vTVQe%2FCKpbl74Lh%2BLe0CmjMJGY3lrlGqfBYB5OuHe3kh1wtxxw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8yWxLiCZA

17 hours ago, Gentleman said:

Hello,

I was on my way to service and change all the 4 shocks on my 07 GS450h at Lexus and the dreaded "Check Hybrid system" came up. I took a good 1 hour detour to test it out and it drove fine with no issues with battery charging and discharging. I've just arrived home to check the code and the only code is the P0A7F which indicates the hybrid battery is deteriorating.

The cost of changing all 4 shocks is not cheap and I expect it to be £££ but I was prepared for this as the car is only 90k miles. However, if the cost of battery replacement is added, this becomes £££++.

The spend is probably zero sum (ish) when considered in isolation. That is, if you don't spend it then the cars resale value will reflect that if one is being honest and above board. No, the issue for you is one of 'sunk costs'. Having made this spend are you actually going to get more back in utility value than it cost , or are there going to be further such costs heading your way. Probably a good starting point is one of existing value relative to the spend required to ensure it is still usable. Whats that look like?

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I will have a look on eBay and Autotrader for the going rate of these cars.

• 1. See how much the current resale of this would be as it is
  • 2. How much it's likely to be following the repairs
  • 3. I might look into a 2014/15ish model and see the price
  • 4. Not sure what an alternative car would be but I might look into a 5 series and E class.

From the above I might be able to answer your question and have another perspective. Looks like it may be £3k vs £10kish

Just to update that I cleared the code this morning and I took the car for a drive and the check hybrid system has not come back on.

I was looking through the paperwork and realised I have only done 7.5K miles in the last 3 years, which makes me wonder if this short drives or infrequent use could have had an impact on the hybrid Battery?

Also I was informed at work today about a deal to get a brand new BMW I5 SALOON 250kW eDr40 M Sport Pro 84kWh 4dr Auto Tech+/Comf+ with Fully comprehensive insurance, including 4 additional drivers, Routine servicing, Tyre replacement, Breakdown cover etc for £540 per month. As someone who just wants a wafty fast car that drives, I've never considered something like this or even a new car and I've always thought the monthly payment was ludicrous but £3k to fix the car for now + annual insurance + service + tyres etc. All of a sudden, it feels like people who lease may be onto something. Although, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it.

Anyway, I've got a trip to Bournemouth in a few weeks and I will take this GS450h instead of the RX to give the Battery some work. For now, I may just hold onto the money in my pocket to see what the hybrid Battery does, before making any rushed decision.

........  and I would find out from an alternative source if those shocks really do need to be changed

Lexus Main Dealers do tend to over-egg issues ............... that could immediately put your mind at rest and save you a small fortune .......  and let you carry on using your wonderful car !

Malc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gentleman said:

Just to update that I cleared the code this morning and I took the car for a drive and the check hybrid system has not come back on.

I was looking through the paperwork and realised I have only done 7.5K miles in the last 3 years, which makes me wonder if this short drives or infrequent use could have had an impact on the hybrid battery?

Also I was informed at work today about a deal to get a brand new BMW I5 SALOON 250kW eDr40 M Sport Pro 84kWh 4dr Auto Tech+/Comf+ with Fully comprehensive insurance, including 4 additional drivers, Routine servicing, Tyre replacement, Breakdown cover etc for £540 per month. As someone who just wants a wafty fast car that drives, I've never considered something like this or even a new car and I've always thought the monthly payment was ludicrous but £3k to fix the car for now + annual insurance + service + tyres etc. All of a sudden, it feels like people who lease may be onto something. Although, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it.

Anyway, I've got a trip to Bournemouth in a few weeks and I will take this GS450h instead of the RX to give the battery some work. For now, I may just hold onto the money in my pocket to see what the hybrid battery does, before making any rushed decision.

Thats 540 a month or ~6500 a year every year. You won't be changing shocks or tyres every year. Also that seller made me an offer for those shocks i linked above he wants to sell them for 150 now. Perhaps offer him that. At least you will have one shock really cheap.

Screenshot_20240615_102314_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a big jump from repairing your car and driving on to a brandnew BMW for 540/month. That monthly sum can be temptive but how does it look if you have to pay 1 invoice per year for 5 years of 6480? and in the  end you have to give it back and have no car? 

How about leaving the shocks, get the Battery repaired as cheap as possible so the light goes out and swap it for a newer model?

Its only for 2500 mls a year? 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 3:57 PM, Malc1 said:

........  and I would find out from an alternative source if those shocks really do need to be changed

Lexus Main Dealers do tend to over-egg issues ............... that could immediately put your mind at rest and save you a small fortune .......  and let you carry on using your wonderful car !

Malc

Thank you for your suggestion! I took your advice and went to check at another garage. I was informed that the rear right shock is poor (leaking) but the springs on them are good. I was also informed that the 3 other shocks and their springs have nothing wrong with them.

The reason I was given for the poor ride quality was that the front wheel bearing hub for the driver's side is very noisy and should be replaced. According to the garage, this is more urgent than even the rear shocks! 

Thanks to @Notamech, I have purchased the rear right shock for £160 including postage but now I am inclined to get a third opinion on why the car is riding a bit rough compared to the luxury ride that I've enjoyed to date.

Any experience of poor and noisy ride from a deteriorated front wheel bearing hub?

On 6/15/2024 at 12:11 PM, dutchie01 said:

Thats a big jump from repairing your car and driving on to a brandnew BMW for 540/month. That monthly sum can be temptive but how does it look if you have to pay 1 invoice per year for 5 years of 6480? and in the  end you have to give it back and have no car? 

How about leaving the shocks, get the battery repaired as cheap as possible so the light goes out and swap it for a newer model?

Its only for 2500 mls a year? 

Thank you, £6480 per year to borrow a car is definitely 😂 to me.

I erased the error code last week after reading it and knowing what it is. The check hybrid light is still off and the car is driving fine but I'm prepared to repair the hybrid Battery whenever that light comes on again.

Please tell me more about swapping it for a newer model? You mean at Lexus?

Just to update that the car was serviced today and the shock was fitted too. The car now drive much better.

The garage mentioned that the car ac doesn't feel as cold as it could be and did a free top up of the gas, with some dye added to make it easy to detect a leak. Needless to say that the AC is definitely much colder too.

The Check Hybrid system light hasn't come back up and the car feels absolutely fine.

I should add that all this was done for less that I would have paid at Lexus for a service as originally planned. Thank you for your contributions and making me think outside of the box. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

Just to update that the car was serviced today and the shock was fitted too. The car now drive much better.

The garage mentioned that the car ac doesn't feel as cold as it could be and did a free top up of the gas, with some dye added to make it easy to detect a leak. Needless to say that the AC is definitely much colder too.

The Check Hybrid system light hasn't come back up and the car feels absolutely fine.

I should add that all this was done for less that I would have paid at Lexus for a service as originally planned. Thank you for your contributions and making me think outside of the box. 

A 17 years young Lexus with slightly less than Full Lexus Service History will have negligible reduced value by having a reputable independent garage stamp in your Service Book .........  well done getting this all sorted at a " sensible " cost

Happy Motoring

Malc

• Thanks 1

Old cars are like old people.

They dont go as fast as they used to and they leak a bit... When something goes wrong always ask for a second opinion! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links