Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Steering wheel telescopic motor issue

I know this has been done before but I wondered if there is any new thinking on it.

2002 LS430 steering wheel goes up and down but not in and out.

I would be happy to set it manually and leave it there. At present it is stuck deep in the dashboard, i.e. the starting point.

Is it possible to take the cover off and wind it out with a spanner till it is where I want it. I seem to remember a video on this some where.

Also which and where, is the fuse for this? Although as the up and down works I suspect it is OK.

Fuse is OK. When you pull the switch out, it makes slightly soft 'squishy' noise, just once.

You can try clicking the switch towards you about 8 times repeatedly I did this on my first ls430. Other than that you can take the cover off the steering column and manually wind it out to your needs and put it back together. Worked for me.

• Like 1

Michael hi ……. Steve2006 now has a Ls430 and this issue might well be something he’ll know he’ll be grappling with at some time ………. 

if he’s not yet seen this post then maybe pm him ……. He really is  a font of great knowledge on these cars 

Good luck 

Malc 

Yes, you can wind it out manually.
You need to remove the lower cover and then you can get a spanner on the square section at the lower end of the telescopic shaft and wind it out.
It is a slow process so you will be winding for quite some time. Save up plenty of patience before attempting it.
I had to do mine last year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

both of my motors have been seized for years - I looked at the various posts on how to adjust and my head went "nope" Is there an easy way to adjust the "up - down" motor? 

On 6/21/2024 at 11:35 PM, BMCWP said:

both of my motors have been seized for years - I looked at the various posts on how to adjust and my head went "nope" Is there an easy way to adjust the "up - down" motor? 

Same as above, but you adjust the bar on the left side of the column rather than the bar underneath.
Getting the lower cover off is a bit of a faff but once you know how it's doable.
This one I found useful but there are plenty of other videos out there. :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced both column adjusting motors on mine about 4 years ago, both had failed. (Found both replacements on eBay.)

The problem is they do a lot of work moving the steering column away from the driver every time you turn off the ignition. Then moving it back when you turn on the ignition again. This constant in and out wears out the motors.

I then found out there is an option in the software to turn off this feature, and then the steering wheel will stay where it is, unless you use the switch to move it. The problem is you need the Lexus programming tool to program the change. 

I asked the service department at my main dealer if they could do it for me, and how much?

The answer was, 'just let us have the car for 10 minutes sir'. The technician turned up with the programming tool and did it in less than 10 min. 'No charge sir' ! 

Got to recommend Lexus Stockport,  they can be very good.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links