Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Android/Carplay Upgrage

Just had Android/ CarPlay retro fitted to my 2019 LC 500 by Daniel at Smart tuning.  In my opinion completely transforms the car . Almost completely makes the ridiculous touch pad redundant just about everything is controlled by your voice or the buttons on the steering wheel. The menu button switches between android and the Lexus screen.  It’s not cheap at £550 and a bit scary when you see just how much of the dash needs to be dismantled but all put back together with no creaks or rattles.

PXL_20240608_075727749.MP_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240608_084521458.MP_Original.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this. A very viable option. Do you lose any OEM functionality? Any changes in how it works overall?

29 minutes ago, shapiro said:

Thanks for sharing this. A very viable option. Do you lose any OEM functionality? Any changes in how it works overall?

No loss of any functionality.  Very happy with the result. The only downside is using the track pad to select a different android app, easier to use the touch screen on your phone to switch between say the radio or your music playlist 

5 minutes ago, shapiro said:

Specifically can you still play audio via a usb cable and have maps navigate you? Or is it all Bluetooth?

Good question, I haven’t tried using the usb , just Bluetooth 

Looks great! Did smart tuning provide the unit? Any noticeable lag etc? 

Very curious whether USB works instead of Bluetooth as surely there’s an audio quality difference 

Amazing to see this getting this fitted though, looks painful to see the dash apart like that but CarPlay / AA is definitely worth it

15 hours ago, F7 MRJ said:

Good question, I haven’t tried using the usb , just Bluetooth 

If you don’t mind testing it… if it works like OEM I’m booking in! 

Huge thanks for having the bravery I lacked by doing something like this. Really looks like open heart surgery.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:30 AM, F7 MRJ said:

Just had Android/ CarPlay retro fitted to my 2019 LC 500 by Daniel at Smart tuning.  In my opinion completely transforms the car . Almost completely makes the ridiculous touch pad redundant just about everything is controlled by your voice or the buttons on the steering wheel. The menu button switches between android and the Lexus screen.  It’s not cheap at £550 and a bit scary when you see just how much of the dash needs to be dismantled but all put back together with no creaks or rattles.

Smart Tuning fitted it but who made 'it'?

Is it a BeatSonic unit, or a Lexion, a Teyes, a RoadTop or a Grom Vline2, or something else altogether?

12 hours ago, HM48 said:

Looks great! Did smart tuning provide the unit? Any noticeable lag etc? 

Very curious whether USB works instead of Bluetooth as surely there’s an audio quality difference 

Amazing to see this getting this fitted though, looks painful to see the dash apart like that but CarPlay / AA is definitely worth it

Just tried using the USB to play audio and the android seems to work fine . Personally I can’t tell a difference in sound quality between using the USB and Bluetooth.  Yes Smart tuning provided the unit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Smart Tuning fitted it but who made 'it'?

Is it a BeatSonic unit, or a Lexion, a Teyes, a RoadTop or a Grom Vline2, or something else altogether?

Sorry mate got no idea

3 hours ago, F7 MRJ said:

Just tried using the USB to play audio and the android seems to work fine . Personally I can’t tell a difference in sound quality between using the USB and Bluetooth.  Yes Smart tuning provided the unit.

Just so I’ve got it right… you can have your android on screen, with audio playing out of the USB, and e.g. directions and voice prompts from e.g. Waze is all fine and via USB? Do you control the music from android too? 

Thanks again

Very cool - 18 months ago this was not possible on UK cars. £550 is cheap to be honest bearing in mind the work involved. A gamechanger for some buyers I would guess, me included - using Waze and Spotify is a massive plus.

• Like 2

Very interesting to see. I had mine installed (not from Smart) and have lots of issues. We (the supplier and I) are working through the various problems, and I hope to have some good news to report soon. 

Hi Shapiro,

Is it possible to private message you? I do not want to publish the name on here, as we are currently working together to try and resolve the issues. Overall I have not been very happy, but do not want to burn my bridges!

Hey no issues, let’s hope it pans out and then you can share the details! 

I’m guessing the worst case is you just just remove the unit.

Hi F7,

As I am in the middle of a less satisfactory solution (long story for another time), can I ask what buttons on the steering wheel are functional in Android Auto? I can only skip to next track on Spotify, I still have to use the trackpad to move around with Android Auto.

Mine's a '21 plate with factory carplay and I think all I can do is up/down tracks on the right 'wheel buttons - anything else is Lexus trackpad either working within apps or 'swiping' between apps. Doubt a 3rd party solution would offer anything over the factory attempt as there isn't the buttons to do it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 5:41 PM, paulGS250 said:

Hi F7,

As I am in the middle of a less satisfactory solution (long story for another time), can I ask what buttons on the steering wheel are functional in Android Auto? I can only skip to next track on Spotify, I still have to use the trackpad to move around with Android Auto.

How did you get on in the end?

• 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, paulGS250 said:

After a lot of arguments I have had the system removed and a full refund.

So can you now tell us, please, which make and model of unit it was so that others can perhaps avoid such a situation?

I have a Grom Vline 2 that I'm generally happy with, although it does have a quirk or two, but nothing insurmountable. Other units with good reputations are RoadTop, BeatSonic, Teyes and Lexion.

Hi Herbie,

I do not know the origin of the box, below is a link to the supplier in UK, who has rebadged one from China.

I am tempted to go with the supplier in this thread, as the OP seems happy. Is there one you would recommend?

Lexus Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto MMI Retrofit Interface ( - Bavarian Automotive (bavarian-automotive.co.uk)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links