Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I was reading similar and Sadiq is reducing any Congestion Charges benefits that EVs had  👏👏👏

BUT also introducing extra Council charges on households  per off road parking space too  …….. could hardly make it up eh ! 

Car ownership is fair game for any aspect to screw us to pay for whatever BUT NEW LABOUR GOVT PROMISE OF ZERO INCREASE IN TAXATION 👍👏🤔😄😂🤣😅👏👏👏

Do they really think the whole population is so so gullible ??????

answers on a postcard 🤩

Malc 

Well enough of the population was gullible enough to elect several successive incompetent Tory governments and they actually increased taxation considerably.

Local Council charges have nothing to do with National Labour policies.
Here in Conservative Essex we now have to pay extra to have garden waste collected.

George …… I thought you’d have maybe resided in the Farage scope within Essex 🤣😂😄……… can’t imagine what that local council might be doing to grab whatever it can from the local motorists …….

Whatever the state style institution I can see they’ll clobber us motorists just as much as possible …….. this Sadiq Khan innovative EXTRA tax on an individuals home car parking spaces …… your own personal private driveway ……  is eye watering 

So clever and there’s zilch anyone can do to stop him Im guessing 

Nevermind, it’s NOT Govt raising taxes, that’s the main thing 👏👏👏🤩🥵

Malc 

Don't start me on that slimy manipulative opportunistic scumbag. :mad2: My MP is Mark Francois whom I also dislike intensely.

As usual the right-wing media have gone over the top on the proposed charges.
London needs to reduce localised flooding caused by too many people not considering drainage when they pave their gardens and driveways.
Personally, I would require all such future paving to use a PERMEABLE paving method (ie. one that drains into the ground, not the drains) but that doesn't deal with the already existing paving and it is difficult to know when a particular area was paved.
How would you "persuade" people to use more expensive but permeable ground coverings? I'm sure they would love to hear your suggestions which is why they are having a consultation.
If people don't then flooding is going to get worse, MUCH worse!

I know, lets privatise the water companies (who handle drainage) so that they can be laden with debt to the point of near bankruptcy leading to them being unable to fund the much needed drainage works across London,.... oh wait, the Tories already did that, and it looks like the good old taxpayer is going to have to bail them out but I don't hear the right-wing media bleating on about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Personally, I would require all such future paving to use a PERMEABLE paving method (ie. one that drains into the ground, not the drains) but that doesn't deal with the already existing paving and it is difficult to know when a particular area was paved.

Why not just force people to take necessary action to deal with this .  ripping up driveways if necessary and if they can't afford it, well, take a legal charge over the property for that cost of the Council doing the work and get reimbursed when the house whatever is sold .........  like some local Councils are now doing with unpaid Council Taxes ...... why not force the issue, after all it is in the public good !

Malc

On 7/16/2024 at 11:08 AM, BigBoomer said:

Eire is EU, and since Brexit even travelling there got more complex, but at least they don't have any LEZ. 🙂
Yes, you will need a passport. :thumbup:

Ireland is in the EU, but it's also in the CTA - common travel area - for people from Ireland, Britain and Northern Ireland.

There is no legal requirement for a passport for British people to visit Ireland - you can come and go as you please.   When you arrive you may be asked by customs what nationality you are, but when you say British they won't normally pester you anymore.

Having a passport with you can however be useful if you need to prove your ID.  But so is a driving licence.

: o )

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Why not just force people to take necessary action to deal with this .  ripping up driveways if necessary and if they can't afford it, well, take a legal charge over the property for that cost of the Council doing the work and get reimbursed when the house whatever is sold .........  like some local Councils are now doing with unpaid Council Taxes ...... why not force the issue, after all it is in the public good !

Malc

Oh I can see the Daily Fail headlines now. "Bully-boy Khan forces Londoners to do as they are told" <LOL>

Personally, I would make the addition of any paving within a 5 year period, and of more than a certain surface area, subject to planning permission unless permeable materials are used.
The cost and hassle of getting Planning permission would wipe out any savings made from using non-permeable paving.
Of course that doesn't deal with existing paving and the various councils and developers would also have to be required to use permeable paving for pavements and such.

13 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

"Bully-boy Khan forces Londoners to do as they are told"

I'm not sure Londoners have any individual say on the Council Tax levels attributed to their homes .....  it's just going to be an added charge for existing and future driveways   I'm understanding

I have no doubt they can bring in all sorts of planning requirements for future driveways ....  like one needs ( is it still ?) permission for a dropped kerb for access to a driveway parking area

Malc

It's one of many suggestions currently being considered. No decisions have been made yet.

You don't need planning permission for a dropped kerb as you don't own the pavement in front of your property.
You apply for the council to install a dropped kerb for you and they consider if it is appropriate and if it will affect anyone else.

• Like 1

In olden times I remember one used one’s own contractor to instal a dropped kerb …… the Council now use their own contractors and one covers the cost ????? …… and someone’s profit profit profit 👍👍

Im guessing the Council still has to give the permission and controls everything to do with it and one pays their fixed fees with no negotiation ……. over that proverbial barrel  so as to speak 🤣😂

It’s just what us car owners have to expect more of …… arbitrary decisions on increasing costs and controls on our motoring 

Lucky we’re wealthy Lexus drivers eh 😇

Malc 

I just looked into it (I have no need as already have off-street parking and a garage) and you are right Malc.
You need to apply for Planning Permission and then pay a contractor to do the work if Planning is approved.
Apparently getting Planning is easier if you use one of a list of "Approved" contractors. (brown envelopes?)
You are looking at between £1500 and £3000 all in depending on the details, and that does not include the cost of your paved driveway.

As for taxation of the motorist, nothing new there. We have been funding the government via taxes and duties on fuel for decades now.

36 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

We have been funding the government via taxes and duties

Errrr  ......  really that's actually funding ourselves and all those costs and expenses  🤑  WE have incurred thru' our voted in Govt and their/ our  choices on how to spend spend spend our dosh ££££ 😂🤣👋👍

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links