Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

End of a dream?

I have always wanted a Lexus but until recently I could not warrant buying one.

I looked at a CT, but did not relish returning to the vehicle and finding the CAT missing.

So then I switched my search to the UX. Despite me having to pay a lot more money after part exchanging my current vehicle, despite the servicing being more expensive, despite delivering worse MPG than my current car, even despite having to pay an additional tax surcharge of £390 per year .. even though the cost to me is below £30,000, I was still tempted.

However, I am not prepared to risk the car being stolen due to the CANbus issue.

Will I ever be able to own a Lexus and be confident all of it will still be present after parking it?

• Like 1

Go for a different model maybe …… one that’s unlikely to fall to thievery 🤔

Malc 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, schroder said:

I looked at a CT, but did not relish returning to the vehicle and finding the CAT missing.

So then I switched my search to the UX. Despite me having to pay a lot more money after part exchanging my current vehicle, despite the servicing being more expensive, despite delivering worse MPG than my current car, even despite having to pay an additional tax surcharge of £390 per year .. even though the cost to me is below £30,000, I was still tempted.

However, I am not prepared to risk the car being stolen due to the CANbus issue.

Will I ever be able to own a Lexus and be confident all of it will still be present after parking it?

Suite yourself.  A cellar might offer a little protection from a nuclear attack too.  

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Don C said:

Suite yourself.  A cellar might offer a little protection from a nuclear attack too.  

They say that if you wrap your head in tinfoil,the aliens won't get you...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schroder said:

My first thought is that may be rather dependent on where you choose to park it.  

Then I would be inclined to run through the range of security options, starting with glass etching, a visible steering wheel lock deterrent, an immobiliser - such as a simple kill switch on the fuel pump - a steel plate to protect the canBUS and then progress to a Ghost system and a Tracker.

You could also install Security Posts and cameras to prevent access to your drive  - and then keep it in the garage.  Ultimately, chummy might still break in while you’re absent and cart it away on a low loader.

The sad reality is that there is nothing one person can own that another cannot try to steal.  What all these steps do is make it increasingly difficult to the point that it’s easier to steal someone else’s Lexus!  How far you go depends on how much you’re prepared to invest - and how much you would like to own a Lexus.

It’s only because it’s regarded as a highly desirable car to own that it’s attracted the attention of car thieves.  Ultimately it’s an insured possession to enjoy - like a designer watch - which you will never do if you only contemplate its loss.

Taken to extremes, there’s good reason not to even drive it and thus expose it to the dangers of modern traffic!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LenT said:

My first thought is that may be rather dependent on where you choose to park it.  

Then I would be inclined to run through the range of security options, starting with glass etching, a visible steering wheel lock deterrent, an immobiliser - such as a simple kill switch on the fuel pump - a steel plate to protect the canBUS and then progress to a Ghost system and a Tracker.

You could also install Security Posts and cameras to prevent access to your drive  - and then keep it in the garage.  Ultimately, chummy might still break in while you’re absent and cart it away on a low loader.

The sad reality is that there is nothing one person can own that another cannot try to steal.  What all these steps do is make it increasingly difficult to the point that it’s easier to steal someone else’s Lexus!  How far you go depends on how much you’re prepared to invest - and how much you would like to own a Lexus.

It’s only because it’s regarded as a highly desirable car to own that it’s attracted the attention of car thieves.  Ultimately it’s an insured possession to enjoy - like a designer watch - which you will never do if you only contemplate its loss.

Taken to extremes, there’s good reason not to even drive it and thus expose it to the dangers of modern traffic!

Thanks Len, I appreciate your sensible and constructive reply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schroder said:

I had a CT and fitted a cat cover & steering lock, but if it was going to be nicked or cat removed there's nothing else I could've done. Same as anything really, if theives want it, they'll get it. Don't hold back on might be's or just in case's, otherwise your hard earned will be too late to enjoy. I now have a UX, & more than happy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, schroder said:

Thanks Len, I appreciate your sensible and constructive reply.

You’re not at gunpoint, go and buy something else but if you think your paranoia is going to spread to owners with a normal approach to life, think again.  You’ve started a new post just to say you’re not going to buy one, what reaction were you expecting, we all rush to we buy any car based on the strength of your post.  Your long drawn out account of why you won’t buy one raises zero concern for you or me.  Is that sensible and constructive enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With any car sold in reasonable numbers all you need is something that'll make your car a more difficult target than other similar cars. I think a steering wheel lock fits the bill as it's a cheap, visible and effective deterrent.

I've also got front and rear dashcams which could act as a deterrent because a Canbus attack might cause the parking mode to start recording.

• Like 2

We're so poor that thieves feel sorry for us and leave range rovers in our driveway. Which comedian said that they thought all bedspreads had sleeves and that he thought cutlery was jewellery?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GMB said:

We're so poor that thieves feel sorry for us and leave range rovers in our driveway. Which comedian said that they thought all bedspreads had sleeves and that he thought cutlery was jewellery?

Ha, you have clever car thieves. They nick a Range Rover in London. Donate it in the North ,but get a kick back from the Insurers when you try to insure it. 

12 hours ago, LenT said:

Well Said..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Buy a Chevy Aveo instead 

super car that no one’s wanting to pinch 

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Buy a Chevy Aveo instead 

If you buy one of these we will need to re-title the thread from End of a dream to Beginning of a nightmare.😨

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, LenT said:

run through the range of security options, starting with glass etching, a visible steering wheel lock deterrent, an immobiliser - such as a simple kill switch on the fuel pump - a steel plate to protect the canBUS and then progress to a Ghost system and a Tracker.

Exactly that. Even after every Lexus has been fitted with whatever solution they’re supposed to be dreaming up you still need to take precautions with keyless entry, car jacking, key theft etc.

Fit an immobiliser, with stickers to advertise it, and add a decent steering wheel lock and I’d be amazed if the car went missing.

23 minutes ago, eightk said:

and add a decent steering wheel lock and I’d be amazed if the car went missing.

Good basic advice this.  The very best examples - correctly fitted - will usually require the use of some serious, heavy duty, dangerous and noisy cutting equipment for several minutes to effect their removal.

The latest Diskloks are possibly the best, but a bit bulky to store from my experience of a couple of early examples.  I now have a Milenco which has fared equally as well in various tests - with the added benefit of being quite an effective defence in its own right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Good basic advice this.  The very best examples - correctly fitted - will usually require the use of some serious, heavy duty, dangerous and noisy cutting equipment for several minutes to effect their removal.

The latest Diskloks are possibly the best, but a bit bulky to store from my experience of a couple of early examples.  I now have a Milenco which has fared equally as well in various tests - with the added benefit of being quite an effective defence in its own right!

Milenco here too!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, schroder said:

Something that no one has mentioned is, what about when it's away from your home address?

You can invest in any amount of lockable parking posts and/or other stuff to keep it safe at home but if it ever has to stay away somewhere overnight.....

Life is not a rehersal. You get one chance and that's it, so if you want a Lexus go and get one and stop being so paranoid. Enjoy your money while you've got it and can spend it.

In a couple of months my wife and I will be doing a road trip to Eastern Europe, something we've been doing annually for our holidays since 1991. We never have any specific destination in mind but we'll be driving and touring around Czechia, Slovakia and Poland. Some hotels will have their own car parks, some won't, and my pride and joy will just have to take its chances being parked on the road. Will I worry or fret about the possibility of it being stolen? Absolutely not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Something that no one has mentioned is, what about when it's away from your home address?

You can invest in any amount of lockable parking posts and/or other stuff to keep it safe at home but if it ever has to stay away somewhere overnight.....

Life is not a rehersal. You get one chance and that's it, so if you want a Lexus go and get one and stop being so paranoid. Enjoy your money while you've got it and can spend it.

In a couple of months my wife and I will be doing a road trip to Eastern Europe, something we've been doing annually for our holidays since 1991. We never have any specific destination in mind but we'll be driving and touring around Czechia, Slovakia and Poland. Some hotels will have their own car parks, some won't, and my pride and joy will just have to take its chances being parked on the road. Will I worry or fret about the possibility of it being stolen? Absolutely not.

Herbie, can I enjoy and spend your money whilst you've still got it?  🤭

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, scrap value, straight down the Breakers and the Crusher …… £400 squid maybe …… an evenings productive thievery 🤔 

Malc 

Obviously it depends where you live. I’m not in a city and my RX450h has been parked in the street for over 3 years now and it has never been touched. It does have the Lexus plates fitted and a Pandora Storm canbus immobiliser fitted. I also recently put stickers from eBay on the windscreen to say a canbus immobiliser is fitted. Sadly it makes no difference when it comes to insuring the car

• Like 1

Everything is relative. Many moons ago i had a brandnew 3 series estate that was completely stripped 2 times with an interval of 2 months. Professional thieves that know what they do and go for the airbag/aircon/satnav/controllers etc etc. These parts are then offered for sale as demand is huge as there are more 3 series about than mondeos or vectras nowadays. In case of a UX they wont nick it for parts as where to sell them? They wont ship it to Africa as , well its too small. So i would feel safe driving around and leaving the car unlocked overnight! If you like it go for it life is too short to drive boring cars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Ian, scrap value, straight down the Breakers and the Crusher …… £400 squid maybe …… an evenings productive thievery 🤔 

Malc 

If someone wants to pinch it that bad, they can have it, as long as it doesn't comeback thats fine, I'm fully insured up including GAP insurance for the next 3 years or so 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links