Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2012 RX450h Rear Washer Motor & Pump Assy. Help.

My rear washer on the RX isn't working, I had Lexus check it whilst in for a service and they said the fuse was ok so it could be a wiring fault (front bumper off) or it's the motor and pump assembly (part no. 85330-60180).

I'm willing to take a chance on replacing the asssembly... the genuine Lexus part quote is £143.91 plus fitting which is obviously not cheap. It would be nice to get it fixed at a resonable cost and I'm thinking I might have a go at replacing the assembly myself as I understand it can be accessed via the right hand wheel arch.

My queries are: The same Toyota part is cheaper or cheaper again if I go for an aftermarket part, thoughts on genuine v aftermarket?

Secondly, has anyone done the same job on their RX who can offer any advice/pictures/video's?

I've had search here and on the internet but with limited success, hence my queries.

I think you could do some troubleshooting by accessing the pump first if it’s correct that you can access via the wheel arch. You might be able to hear it running or not and then assess how easy it could be to change, take some pictures etc.

As you won’t need the rear washer for the vehicle to be roadworthy, this is a job you could come back to another day once you’ve shopped around for a replacement.

I doubt there’s a ‘wiring fault’ this sounds like main dealer BS like my £500 labour estimate from Lexus Coventry that was resolved with a A/C regas.

It could be clogged up or the pipe blocked. 

I would go for a Toyota part though if it does need replacing. 

If you have a multimeter you could check the connections for power also. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Phil, much appreciated.

I have done a few checks, there is no sound from the pump when trying to use it which leads me to think it's the pump. In fairness to Lexus I only asked them to look at it for me, not delve deeper under the wheel arch etc. they did say it "could" be either the pump or electrical with the pump being the most likely. It could also be the rear jet blocked (or the line) but that's a rear spoiler off to replace so the pump having no signs of life makes it my first port of call, if I can access it.

As you say it doesn't affect the roadworthy status of the car so I'm going down the route suggested of biding my time to see if a replacement pump can be had at a reasonable price. I will investigate behind the wheel arch and do some investigation in the meantime.

Will post back in due course once I have some updates.

Mine was blocked in the jet at the back you have to take the whole plastic spoiler off on the top, I blew into it and it didn’t unblock so stuck a needle into the port that cured it, I tested it with the head off as I thought my pump was goosed.

5 hours ago, granadaman said:

Mine was blocked in the jet at the back you have to take the whole plastic spoiler off on the top, I blew into it and it didn’t unblock so stuck a needle into the port that cured it, I tested it with the head off as I thought my pump was goosed.

The rear wash-jet was my first thought but given I have no noise from the pump when engaged I'm inclined to think it's the pump. Having said that I could end up removing the rear spoiler and un-blocking or replacing the jet if the pump isn't the culprit!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I'm pleased to say I now have a working rear washer....

I decided as I was going to investigate anyway, I took a chance and bought a second hand OEM washer pump from eBay for the grand total of £8.00 inc. P+P, I was assured it was working from the seller.

The wheel arch liners/clips were a bit of a faff but I removed enough to gain access to the pumps, the rear pump motor is on the left looking in from the wheel arch. Drained the fluid and removed the pump etc and cleaned everything up then fitted the replacement and topped up the fluid.

For a cheap, second hand pump I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise it actually works, so for £8.00 and a bit of effort I've learnt something new and fixed the issue.............and saved rather a lot of money!

A word of advice, you will almost certainly need some spare trim fixings👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Illogan said:

That's a first-class update, Barney, and thank you for the details.

No problem Dave, thanks👍

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links