Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Recommendation

Had my Lexus ES for about 8 months now.....around 5k miles so far (very very low for me usually).

Love everything about this car so far.

However, the stock Dunlop tyre are dog as far as I am concerned. Anyone got recommendations for the best tyres for the ES.

Initially I thought the Michelin E.Primacy would be a good however the B rating in the wet and lower tread depth turns me off from them.

Any got any recommendations?

25 minutes ago, kevtoon2905 said:

Initially I thought the Michelin E.Primacy would be a good however the B rating in the wet and lower tread depth turns me off from them.

Would Michelin CrossClimate 2 be a better bet?  Very much depends on driving style, mileage, which performance criteria your prioritise and so on.  But if you’re after superior wet road performance then they are certainly well regarded.

I had them on another car and they were outstanding.  I would have had them on the Lexus, but they didn’t make one of the two sizes required.  So I opted for the equally satisfying Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

4 hours ago, LenT said:

Would Michelin CrossClimate 2 be a better bet?  Very much depends on driving style, mileage, which performance criteria your prioritise and so on.  But if you’re after superior wet road performance then they are certainly well regarded.

I had them on another car and they were outstanding.  I would have had them on the Lexus, but they didn’t make one of the two sizes required.  So I opted for the equally satisfying Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

I have the original Cross Climates on my old Focus, just as for a "just incase" for snow. Climate change kinda makes the need for cross climates abit unnecessary, but A wet handing/breaking with low rolling resistance would be useful. Ill have a look a the Eagle F1s.

• Like 1

I have CrossClimate 2s on my ES, replacing the original Bridgestones. Don't find them noticeably different to the original Bridgestones in normal use, I sometimes wonder if they are a bit more noisy but it may be my imagination and the cabin is still quiet nevertheless. Where I live in SW France, winter was long but not cold so their snow/ice performance wasn't needed. My main criterion for fitting them was that they are a legal requirement in the Departements south of here from November to March.

I'd anticipated greater tyre wear but again can't say that its noticeable.

I used to use the Avon ZX7's all year round on my RX and really rate them highly.  Very quiet, grip like a limpet in the dry, are A rated for the wet and give a comfortable ride.  My old rims were 19 inch but sadly I can't get themin a 235/55 profile for the 20" rims I now have on the newer RX.  I have just fitted the latest Bridgestone Turanza 6 "Enliten" tyres and they've been great in the few weeks I've been using them.  On average, I'm getting 2mpg more than the stock Dunlop sportmax tyres which on mine had hardened off compounds, little grip in dry or wet and I hated them.  Couldn't wait to get them off the car. The other ones with a really good rep are the Yokohama BluEarth AE61 tyres, cheaper than the Turanzas, A rated for the wet, low noise and lots of positive feedback.  I was quoted £198 a corner fitted for 20" wheels.

17 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I used to use the Avon ZX7's all year round on my RX and really rate them highly.  Very quiet, grip like a limpet in the dry, are A rated for the wet and give a comfortable ride.  My old rims were 19 inch but sadly I can't get themin a 235/55 profile for the 20" rims I now have on the newer RX.  I have just fitted the latest Bridgestone Turanza 6 "Enliten" tyres and they've been great in the few weeks I've been using them.  On average, I'm getting 2mpg more than the stock Dunlop sportmax tyres which on mine had hardened off compounds, little grip in dry or wet and I hated them.  Couldn't wait to get them off the car. The other ones with a really good rep are the Yokohama BluEarth AE61 tyres, cheaper than the Turanzas, A rated for the wet, low noise and lots of positive feedback.  I was quoted £198 a corner fitted for 20" wheels.

The Bridgestone’s have been on my radar as they are pretty highly regarded, will certainly check out the yokohamas 

Like you I had the Dunlops and thought they were dire especially in the wet.

I have had Bridgestone Turanzas a couple of times which were certainly a vast improvement on the Dunlops.   Recently put on Avon ZV7 and I think they are better (ride, roadholding and wet) than the Turanza.

Had Avons on previous car (Merc E) and found them to be better than others - often cheaper too and last about the same.

I would agree with Len and vote for Michelin CrossClimate 2. For UK weather these are just the best all-year-round tyres. Note to self: stay away from "sport" tyres on cars that are meant to be driven in peace. All the sport tyres I've had on different cars they all have been just too hard for comfort even in 20+degrees weather, which was becoming much more noticeable with temperatures dropping under 10.

I've recently replaced the "sport" tyres on my wife's Velar with CrossClimate 2, maaan, that's a different car now! The rubber stays soft at near 0 temperatures. It handles just as good and the road/tyre noise seems to be lower and further in distance too. 

The tyres on my ES still have got some 5-7K miles in them, will go for CrossClimate 2 fore sure.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links