Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Quoted £285 for Android Auto upgrade on UX250h 2019

Thought I would treat myself to the Android Auto upgrade, but Lexus dealership today told me that I would need both the Satnav upgrade at £200, plus the Android Auto upgrade at £85!

Very dissappointing, as I find the native satnav text too small to read. 

Is there any way to get these upgrades from elsewhere at a more reasonable price?

Posted (edited)

Around two years ago (I had a 66 plate NX at the time), I enquired about upgrading the system to have Android Auto and they said that I would need a whole 'Head Unit' that would cost up to £2,000 (ish). Clearly I didn't pursue that option as I am not stupid but they did say that if my car had been a 2019 variant then the AA upgrade would be free! 

Perhaps it is worth enquiring with Lexus directly rather than through a dealer.

Check-out this page https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-upgrade/

Edited by Lmafudd
added link

When I was looking at a used 2019 UX Takumi a while back that did not have apple Car Play, they said they would honour the upgrade FOC as it was a free upgrade when the offer was initially introduced if I was to go ahead with my purchase.

Frankly, for 2019's head unit I'd rather get a phone stand can stick the phone on it for google map with Bluetooth connected to the UX media display for songs and calls. I've been doing this for long time and its the best option unless you've got 2023's new display. 

20 hours ago, mortod said:

Thought I would treat myself to the Android Auto upgrade, but Lexus dealership today told me that I would need both the Satnav upgrade at £200, plus the Android Auto upgrade at £85!

Very dissappointing, as I find the native satnav text too small to read. 

Is there any way to get these upgrades from elsewhere at a more reasonable price?

On 2019 UXs not equipped with either apple Car Play and Android Auto, the upgrade should be at no cost as it has always been. It consist only of a software upgrade. The UXs not equipped are those built between january and september 2019.

This is the way it is with dealers in Italy, but it should be the same everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gdamorini said:

On 2019 UXs not equipped with either Apple Car Play and Android Auto, the upgrade should be at no cost as it has always been. It consist only of a software upgrade. The UXs not equipped are those built between january and september 2019.

This is the way it is with dealers in Italy, but it should be the same everywhere.

Exactly, I had my 2019 UX upgraded at Brussels at no cost at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gdamorini said:

On 2019 UXs not equipped with either Apple Car Play and Android Auto, the upgrade should be at no cost as it has always been.

This is not the case in the UK. The upgrade to provide CarPlay/AA functionality is a paid for software upgrade on 2019 models.

23 hours ago, mortod said:

but Lexus dealership today told me that I would need both the Satnav upgrade at £200, plus the Android Auto upgrade at £85!

I don't believe the Nav upgrade is required, it certainly never use to be. My wife's UX was upgraded for CarPlay; initially it was going to be around £90 but we got it added for free as part of the purchase deal of the vehicle - it was under 3 years old so still had free map upgrades at the time but the latest map update wasn't applied when I picked it up. 

Just tell them you don't want the Nav update - one of the reasons for having CarPlay/AA is so you don't have to use the Lexus Nav so pointless upgrading it IMO.

On 6/8/2024 at 12:44 PM, ColinBarber said:

This is not the case in the UK. The upgrade to provide CarPlay/AA functionality is a paid for software upgrade on 2019 models.

Well, this is not so fair. Since elsewhere is a free upgrade.

On 6/10/2024 at 7:32 AM, gdamorini said:

Well, this is not so fair. Since elsewhere is a free upgrade.

This is what is commonly known as Rip off Britain

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links