Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Front disc and pad change

Hi all,  I have been told I need a front disc and pad change as a result of my last service on my 2017 is300h.  They have given me a quote of £520.  I know that I can buy the parts and do it myself if they are traditional wheel off, calliper off, screw out, disc replace and calliper back on with new pads in.  Is it going to be this way or is there something weird about this that needs £520 Lexus to do.  TIA.

13 minutes ago, Phooey said:

Hi all,  I have been told I need a front disc and pad change as a result of my last service on my 2017 is300h.  They have given me a quote of £520.  I know that I can buy the parts and do it myself if they are traditional wheel off, calliper off, screw out, disc replace and calliper back on with new pads in.  Is it going to be this way or is there something weird about this that needs £520 Lexus to do.  TIA.

It's exactly what you stated. 30 to 45 mins per side all things equal. You might need too to wind the caliper piston back in but other than that straight forward. 

Personally I'd double check if it actually needs doing first, ie what are the actual measurements of disc and pad thickness.

18 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Personally I'd double check if it actually needs doing first, ie what are the actual measurements of disc and pad thickness.

This. I've been told in the past that my pads were low and wouldn't last before the next service 12 months later is due but on inspection they were fine and were still on the vehicle three years later.

Yes, front discs and pads straight forward, the bolts holding the caliper cradle can be very tight so a breaker bar and socket might be needed or a thick walled tube to give you leverage.   Normally it's the rear calipers that might need the piston winding back in if the handbrake activation uses the rear pads to grip the disc.   On some Lexus models Lexus also like to use a set of old fashioned brake shoes which are hidden  behind and therefore inside the rear disc.  Think of the disc's central hub  as a mini  brake drum.   Maybe the IS just uses the existing pad set up to activate the handbrake and may need the piston winding back in but not the fronts which can normally be forced back using a lever.   Make sure the brake fluid reservoir cap is loosened/ lifted off  to allow for the level to rise  as the brake pad pistons retract.  The vent hole in the reservoir cap can act like a water pistol and the fluid  forced out under pressure  if not loosened which can damage paint work if it touches unprotected surfaces. 

• Like 2

I believe Techstream would be needed to bleed the brakes on a hybrid, but that shouldn't be a factor when simply replacing a set of discs and pads. No air should be introduced into the system.

If you're comfortable with the physical process of replacing the discs and pads, save yourself £300 and do it yourself.

Changing the pads/discs on a Toyota/Lexus hybrid is only slightly more complex than for conventional setup. I found it best to disconnect the 12v Battery before starting. I suggest you review some of the youtube guides before you start in order to avoid problems specific to hybrid brakes.

Having done the front recently I can confirm there is nothing that needs to be done differently to a non-hybrid vehicle. Honestly save yourself the trouble & money if your handy with a spanner you can do it yourself potentially within  a budget of £200. The hardest part is probably loosening the wheel nuts & finding the wheel is stuck to the hub few kicks later & your on yr way to performing a brake job. *Caveat (As long as you don't touch the brake bleed nipple)

The rears do require abit of adjustment to the brake shoes to fit the new brake disc on the hub, agajn nothing complex really, this is to ensure the parking brake bites correctly on a hill to pass an MOT without issues. 

6 hours ago, GS300h2014 said:

Explanation of the complexity of working on hybrid brakes:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/198134-hybrid-pad-disc-replacement/

That's useful but notice it states if removing calipers your not physically removing the caliper other than pushing the piston back to be able to fit the new pads. 

"Hi, it’s same as on non hybrid car however there is one very important step before you start with the change. You have to depressurised the system and disconnect the Battery before you carry any work on the brakes that involved removing the calipers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.  I was told this a year ago and there was 50% left on the pad.  Now they say 10% left on pad.  My local garage agree that a change would be prudent. I appreciate all of your replies.

Apologies for taking so long to acknowledge, my broadband has been down for over a week 😞 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links