Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Possible to retrofit heated windscreen?

Hi guys

deep cleaning my car I noticed that my 2010 f sport has the heated windscreen element in place, made me think that the wiring is already in place for that and that it probably could be retrofitted. Has anyone managed to do this? I haven’t pulled apart those dash buttons but I had a BSM retrofit planned so I thought it might be an idea to throw that in also 

Remove the cawl cover an check. That windscreen has what appears to be heaters for wiper blades, does not mean it has actual heating element - I can send you the picture of how wiring for that looks like (actually I have spare wiring as well).

If you want to retrofit it properly, then I am not even joking - it is engine out job as the harness in which the wire runs is behind the engine and all the brake lines (just happened to change it recently and I wanted to burn the damn car), but if you just get the plug for the element and then run your own fuse to the button (I also have a button and the fuse), then I think it should be relatively easy (as long as actual windscreen has heating element - should be 3 wires coming out of windscreen)

Can it already be in the harness... could, be, but I doubt it for 2010 car. Mostly what I have seen the early cars had "extra wiring", as the time gone by they optimised a lot and I think by 2010 they must have had separate wiring for specifically F-Sport without windscreen heaters. That would be my guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Remove the cawl cover an check. That windscreen has what appears to be heaters for wiper blades, does not mean it has actual heating element - I can send you the picture of how wiring for that looks like (actually I have spare wiring as well).

If you want to retrofit it properly, then I am not even joking - it is engine out job as the harness in which the wire runs is behind the engine and all the brake lines (just happened to change it recently and I wanted to burn the damn car), but if you just get the plug for the element and then run your own fuse to the button (I also have a button and the fuse), then I think it should be relatively easy (as long as actual windscreen has heating element - should be 3 wires coming out of windscreen)

Can it already be in the harness... could, be, but I doubt it for 2010 car. Mostly what I have seen the early cars had "extra wiring", as the time gone by they optimised a lot and I think by 2010 they must have had separate wiring for specifically F-Sport without windscreen heaters. That would be my guess.

The windscreen definitely has the three wires so I'm hoping there may already be some wiring in place for it, if not then I wont bother if its a fairly involved job as I do know the heating element doesnt do all that much, its just nice to have if the wiring is already there. Ah I didnt realise it may need an additional fuse I may have to investigate and get back to you

One thing I did want to possibly retrofit was the rear blind shade as I've seen some success from the Club Lexus in the US, borrowed my mums car and have to say for those drivers with the absurdly bright headlights that rear shade comes in VERY handy, that is fairly plug and play from what I've seen but I'll need to see if the wiring is in place already...

Not sure if there is wiring in place, but I do have the sunshade if you need 😄 

Sadly, no longer have the covers around it. Again I would say - in early cars there may have been extra wiring, but the times 2010 rolled and F-Sport was released as separate trim I really doubt they left anything extra. 

e.g. in my 2006 car I have all the wiring for radar cruise even thought it was not fitted. 

Also there is different distinction - if the model could have it as an option e.g. SE-L could have radar cruise as an option, then SE-L comes with wiring for it regardless if it is fitted or not. However, if model does not even have that as an option e.g. F-Sport could not be purchased with sunshade, then it is unlikely to have wiring.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links