Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cannot open key fob case to replace battery

Hello, I have seen several videos demonstrating Battery replacement but I just cannot take the key fob apart. My key fob does not have a hole for the mechanical key to twist. Its just not there. 

I tried to insert the mechanical key somewhere around there, kept twisting it but it just doesn't look healthy. Its not coming apart and I dont want to break anything. 

How do I take it apart? :(

19 minutes ago, madroots said:

Hello, I have seen several videos demonstrating battery replacement but I just cannot take the key fob apart. My key fob does not have a hole for the mechanical key to twist. Its just not there. 

I tried to insert the mechanical key somewhere around there, kept twisting it but it just doesn't look healthy. Its not coming apart and I dont want to break anything. 

How do I take it apart? 😞

If it’s the same as mine, you remove the mechanical key and put a flat bladed screwdriver into the hole that’s revealed.

A gentle twist or prying should then open the key case.  Lexus recommends that you wrap the blade in a strip of scotch tape to prevent it marking the case.

Just make sure you replace the Battery with the same face up!

I just figured it out! You don't actually twist. Mine slides upwards right off.

The key fob looks just like the ones on video (3rd gen GS) but ti slides off after mechanical key has been removed. I am glad I didn't damage it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I changed from my GS300 to the 450H.

Was easier on the 300.

This vid shows how on the newer remote:-

Lexus have fitted several types of key fob over various models and years.  It is important that you use the appropriate method to avoid damage.  My 2015 third Gen RX450h has the same  type as shown in the featured video, whereby the shell slides apart and you then need to remove 4 tiny screws that secure  the Battery compartment cover in order to change the Battery.

Here I will repeat a tip I think I once posted previously.  I keep a spare Battery, along with a very small screwdriver in a little see through ready seal plastic bag in my glove box, so I will never again get caught out trying to find a Battery when the dreaded 'key  not detected' light comes on and there's nowhere to get a replacement.

2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

so I will never again get caught out trying to find a battery when the dreaded 'key  not detected' light comes on and there's nowhere to get a replacement.

This is something I’ve never had to try, but is apparently a solution to a low Battery level causing the key not to be detected:  Simply push the start button by pressing the Lexus logo on the key fob against it.

Presumably actual contact enables the system to recognise the fob.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links