Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus statement on theft...

I was on a call to Lexus (Glasgow) yesterday as when I enter my registration on the Lexus Vehicle Safety Recall Checker, it states - 

We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

The service manager checked and told me there was no recall on my car. I asked about protection plates for the UX but he had no information on when, or even an estimation of when this would be. 

Try your registration through the checker - https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/vehicle-recall 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HPS13 said:

I was on a call to Lexus (Glasgow) yesterday as when I enter my registration on the Lexus Vehicle Safety Recall Checker, it states - 

We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

The service manager checked and told me there was no recall on my car. I asked about protection plates for the UX but he had no information on when, or even an estimation of when this would be. 

Try your registration through the checker - https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/vehicle-recall 

I get the same message..... so I won't bother to trouble the dealer yet then!

It would be nice, though, if Lexus were to update us on this program/work - even if dates have slipped - as it's clearly a concern for a lot of us.

Someone must have the responsibility for it and a schedule/outline plan with some milestone dates and progress can't be too hard to produce, surely!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, my quest said:

Someone must have the responsibility for it and a schedule/outline plan with some milestone dates and progress can't be too hard to produce, surely!

I think it would make a nice MBA project of how to mismanage what is admittedly a difficult problem, but the management and communications from Lexus has been appalling.

The good news at least is the message does state "rectified at no cost".

Hassle your dealers and Lexus themselves. Regularly.

April has come and gone.

The only cars with any solution so far are the RX and even then you have to know there’s a problem, know there’s a solution available and know to ask your dealer - there’s no evidence anyone is actively promoting this to owners. I’d also argue riveting bits of tinplate over stuff in the wheelarch in the vain hope it’ll stop an entire global network/industry in its tracks isn’t exactly going to be a permanent solution once thieves find another access point to the canbus system eg tailgate, tail lights, under the car etc.

• Like 2

Have to say, I think you are right re other canbus access points...

We need a smarter software solution to restrict access to the command system - perhaps similar to the multi-stage authentication used in most financial apps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, my quest said:

Have to say, I think you are right re other canbus access points...

We need a smarter software solution to restrict access to the command system - perhaps similar to the multi-stage authentication used in most financial apps.

Honestly a simple single or twin relay immobiliser that requires a fob or a touch key to get the car running is all we need. That’s effectively what is fitted on mine as part of the tracker install. No fob, no start.
Tin plates that I would imagine just need crowbarring off or hunting down another canbus access point, clever software systems that will suddenly become hackable months later - I think Lexus are missing a trick by not simply bunging a cheap immobiliser onto every at risk car. No point just some of us doing it, every single car in the country has to be protected to stop thieves wrecking peoples bumpers on the off chance a car is still stealable.

They could have fitted thousands of cars with immobilisers by now.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2024 at 9:21 AM, eightk said:

Honestly a simple single or twin relay immobiliser that requires a fob or a touch key to get the car running is all we need. That’s effectively what is fitted on mine as part of the tracker install. No fob, no start.
Tin plates that I would imagine just need crowbarring off or hunting down another canbus access point, clever software systems that will suddenly become hackable months later - I think Lexus are missing a trick by not simply bunging a cheap immobiliser onto every at risk car. No point just some of us doing it, every single car in the country has to be protected to stop thieves wrecking peoples bumpers on the off chance a car is still stealable.

They could have fitted thousands of cars with immobilisers by now.

How long would a mass fitted immobiliser take to bypass?  It’s a waste of time.  

On 5/31/2024 at 11:12 PM, eightk said:

Hassle your dealers and Lexus themselves. Regularly.

April has come and gone.

The only cars with any solution so far are the RX and even then you have to know there’s a problem, know there’s a solution available and know to ask your dealer - there’s no evidence anyone is actively promoting this to owners. I’d also argue riveting bits of tinplate over stuff in the wheelarch in the vain hope it’ll stop an entire global network/industry in its tracks isn’t exactly going to be a permanent solution once thieves find another access point to the canbus system eg tailgate, tail lights, under the car etc.

Totally Agree Andy..!!!

7 hours ago, Don C said:

How long would a mass fitted immobiliser take to bypass?  It’s a waste of time.  

If you know where it is, not long.
But it could be in the boot cutting the fuel pump, under the dash cutting the brake light switch, under the bonnet cutting the starter or an ECU, or even in the centre console cutting the gear selector.

I know where mine is - it’s a black box next to about a dozen other black boxes - if you don’t know where to look or exactly what to look for it’d take ages to get round it, unlike canbus software which once it’s jailbroken is utterly useless 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eightk said:

If you know where it is, not long.
But it could be in the boot cutting the fuel pump, under the dash cutting the brake light switch, under the bonnet cutting the starter or an ECU, or even in the centre console cutting the gear selector.

I know where mine is - it’s a black box next to about a dozen other black boxes - if you don’t know where to look or exactly what to look for it’d take ages to get round it, unlike canbus software which once it’s jailbroken is utterly useless 

If Lexus fit an aftermarket immobiliser then it will be to a standard, located in the same place (or at best just a few common locations) so it wouldn't take that long for it to be discovered and a workaround procedure documented and shared on the dark web.

Ideally it needs to be fitted in a location that takes time to access - however that makes the installation cost higher.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links