Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

10 year warranty. Mileage slightly over

Does anyone know if there is any allowance to the 10k/1 year additional warranty? My car has gone just over, about 80 miles before I realised that the 10k limited had been reached. Does it mean it no longer has a valid warranty? It’s in to Lexus this week for service and mot, it’s been making a squeaking/squealing sound,  reported the fault previously but they couldn’t find anything, does seems to be getting worse, I think it might be brake related as 86k and still on original disks and pads, in which case warranty won’t come into it, however could be something else which is covered by warranty. 

On the manufacturer and extended warranty you paid for, there was a 1k millage allowance or 4 weeks to give you time to get it into the dealer, can’t see any reference to that now with the free warranty.

Brake disc & pads wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

For a brake squeal usually you just need a strip down & regrease the caliper slider pins. Although the pads may have plenty of life left guaranteed the discs will be corroded or will have a lip due to wear. Get an independent garage to inspect & replace if necessary. No real benefit for going to a dealership for a brake job easy enough to do as a DIY job if you have the right tools.

The manufacturer warranty comes into play if the Battery (main traction high voltage) Battery has a failure but unlikely at the mileage your quoting. 

7 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Does anyone know if there is any allowance to the 10k/1 year additional warranty? My car has gone just over, about 80 miles before I realised that the 10k limited had been reached. Does it mean it no longer has a valid warranty? It’s in to Lexus this week for service and mot, it’s been making a squeaking/squealing sound,  reported the fault previously but they couldn’t find anything, does seems to be getting worse, I think it might be brake related as 86k and still on original disks and pads, in which case warranty won’t come into it, however could be something else which is covered by warranty. 

On the manufacturer and extended warranty you paid for, there was a 1k millage allowance or 4 weeks to give you time to get it into the dealer, can’t see any reference to that now with the free warranty.

I had front discs and pads replaced at 80k miles on my IS 300h. They would have lasted a bit longer but were well lipped and pads were getting quite low. As the wheel bearings were being replaced decided to have the discs and pads replaced at the same time. The tech looking into the wheel bearing noise initially thought the noise might be coming from the discs / pads being close to needing replacement so that could be something to have checked / replaced as a maintenence item. If the noise persists then you'd have had the service done and be in the new warranty period and so take it back then? 

Cheers for replies, the noise is intermittent, however sometimes really loud, difficult to tell where it’s coming from. I appreciate brakes are not covered, would something like a wheel bearing be? Also, are the dealers particularly expensive for disk and pads? It’s a 2015 IS300h, our local garage is not that cheap anyway.

looks like no leeway on the millage now then, 1 mile or 1 day puts it out of warranty, I’m sure previously it was 1k and 1 month, 10k miles means its every 10 months service for us.

11 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Cheers for replies, the noise is intermittent, however sometimes really loud, difficult to tell where it’s coming from. I appreciate brakes are not covered, would something like a wheel bearing be? Also, are the dealers particularly expensive for disk and pads? It’s a 2015 IS300h, our local garage is not that cheap anyway.

looks like no leeway on the millage now then, 1 mile or 1 day puts it out of warranty, I’m sure previously it was 1k and 1 month, 10k miles means its every 10 months service for us.

Looking at the Relax T&Cs the wheel bearings should be covered at your mileage (up to 100k miles I think) but with any warranty until the reason for any failure (eg manufacturing fault or other damage) is determined it's a hard one to know for sure. Personally I thought the price to change discs and pads was reasonable when I had mine done and would have Lexus do them again when I need them doing. Being a hybrid the brakes last such a long time paying a little more and having OEM parts is IMHO a sensible investment. Give the dealer a call and ask them for a price as they should have that to hand as it's a common job for them. 

On the leeway on warranty it's a hard one to call - in the T&Cs it just says the car must he serviced according to the schedule and doesn't mention any leeway. If you've had the car serviced at the same dealership a number of times then there may be a little more latitude but nothing that you can guarantee. I'm like you in that I do about 15k miles per annum and so have to make sure I'm within the 10k miles each time to maintain my current Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty I pay for (as my car is a 2014 with over 100k miles I am outside of Relax warranty). 

It sounds like doing the next service should give you one more year of the Relax warranty and so as I said may be worth having brakes done and see if that solves the problem - if not then take advantage of the next Relax period.

If you are beyond 10 years then there is the Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty you could purchase (about £500 per annum) for peace of mind and this can be renewed annually until the car is 15 years old / 150k miles whichever comes first. 

Yes, the no leeway is a problem. During the the last 2 years, I have 'lost' a total of 5 weeks. I like to have the MOT and service done during the month before it's due, so unless I have it done on the anniversary date of the previous service, I lose those weeks. 

This year I'm going to get my MOT done elsewhere early, and then the Lexus service a couple of days before the warranty expires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Looking at the Relax T&Cs the wheel bearings should be covered at your mileage (up to 100k miles I think) but with any warranty until the reason for any failure (eg manufacturing fault or other damage) is determined it's a hard one to know for sure. Personally I thought the price to change discs and pads was reasonable when I had mine done and would have Lexus do them again when I need them doing. Being a hybrid the brakes last such a long time paying a little more and having OEM parts is IMHO a sensible investment. Give the dealer a call and ask them for a price as they should have that to hand as it's a common job for them. 

On the leeway on warranty it's a hard one to call - in the T&Cs it just says the car must he serviced according to the schedule and doesn't mention any leeway. If you've had the car serviced at the same dealership a number of times then there may be a little more latitude but nothing that you can guarantee. I'm like you in that I do about 15k miles per annum and so have to make sure I'm within the 10k miles each time to maintain my current Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty I pay for (as my car is a 2014 with over 100k miles I am outside of Relax warranty). 

It sounds like doing the next service should give you one more year of the Relax warranty and so as I said may be worth having brakes done and see if that solves the problem - if not then take advantage of the next Relax period.

If you are beyond 10 years then there is the Lexus 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty you could purchase (about £500 per annum) for peace of mind and this can be renewed annually until the car is 15 years old / 150k miles whichever comes first. 

Thanks for the reply, it looks like I won’t be benefiting for the free warranty much long, another 14k or about a year. I think £500 for the post 100k is a little too much as generally the car has been so reliable, I understand that the risks are greater the older it gets, however £500 a year, plus cheaper service outside of Lexus dealers could provide a decent pot if saved for repairs, risking it i know.

It used to be £500 for two years with the two for one offer which included breakdown, that was a no brainier at that price. 

8 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Thanks for the reply, it looks like I won’t be benefiting for the free warranty much long, another 14k or about a year. I think £500 for the post 100k is a little too much as generally the car has been so reliable, I understand that the risks are greater the older it gets, however £500 a year, plus cheaper service outside of Lexus dealers could provide a decent pot if saved for repairs, risking it i know.

It used to be £500 for two years with the two for one offer which included breakdown, that was a no brainier at that price. 

It still includes the full Lexus Roadside Assistance package too which is worth about £155 if you would be purchasing that. I've kept the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty running but now in my last year with it as the car will reach 150k miles within the current period. 

44 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Yes, the no leeway is a problem. During the the last 2 years, I have 'lost' a total of 5 weeks. I like to have the MOT and service done during the month before it's due, so unless I have it done on the anniversary date of the previous service, I lose those weeks. 

This year I'm going to get my MOT done elsewhere early, and then the Lexus service a couple of days before the warranty expires.

5 weeks lost every couple of years wouldn’t be a problem for me,  I’m having to get it serviced every 9/10 months, in fairness I’m still not concerned as the free warranty is massive plus which more than pays for the lost few months. Mind you I think most Lexus are 10k whatever warranty you have, i read some maybe 2 years 20k which is more in line with others.

I had my GS serviced last November three days after the relax warranty ran out. They found a leaking driveshaft seal and initially said I’d have to pay as it was out of warranty. I politely complained and mentioned that I had been using this particular dealer for servicing for four years and that if they are going to be this stingy I may as well forget the relax warranty and get it serviced independently in future. They changed their mind as a good will gesture. It’s always worth asking!

• Like 1

There is no leeway at all for the warranty, even for warranty from the factory

There was never a 1k / 1 month leeway for Lexus relax or extended warranty. I think you're thinking of the 1k/1 month leeway for servicing the vehicle as part of the condition of warranty but this only applies to the factory warranty of 3 years. 

Sorry, you’re wrong, it was actually more generous, 30 days or 2000 miles from schedule service interval. I remember pushing it myself right to the 2k limit. This was for the extended warranty after the 3 year manufacturer, 2 or 1 offer. Item (d) under T&C’s. 

IMG_8248.jpeg

Confirmed that no leeway with relax by dealer. 
found rear brakes binding slightly which was probably the cause of the noise. Discs and pads will need replacing soon,  £508 front, £490 rear…painful. They are not mot failure so I’ll get them done soon, will try local garage first, don’t think it will be £1k!!

10 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

found rear brakes binding slightly which was probably the cause of the noise. Discs and pads will need replacing soon,  £508 front, £490 rear…painful. They are not mot failure so I’ll get them done soon, will try local garage first, don’t think it will be £1k!!

Are you sure rears need doing (unless they  were sticking in which case it will need more than just discs and pads to stop it happening again) - my car still has original discs and pads at the rear at 147k miles and still plenty of life left in the pads. Might just need a good clean?

53 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

Thanks for sharing the quote. Recently did my own disc  & pads all around for £400 delivered from EBC brakes. Saving approx £598 due to no labour charge feel abit better now. 

Changing out the disc & pads is the easy part any garage will dl the job easy money, however whats really important on a brake job which is time consuming is the brake hardware clips need to be either replaced/ cleaned removing brake dust & corrosion to look like new with a wirebrush & caliper slider pins taken out wire brushed & regreased. Otherwise within a few hundred or thousand miles you will get that horrible squeal reappear. Also make sure they don't throw away your brake shims that go on the pads just transfer to your new pads to mitigate that squeal which are not cheap.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 11:46 AM, wharfhouse said:

Are you sure rears need doing (unless they  were sticking in which case it will need more than just discs and pads to stop it happening again) - my car still has original discs and pads at the rear at 147k miles and still plenty of life left in the pads. Might just need a good clean?

Wow, 147l on the original brakes is amazing, I thought I was doing well. You could be right, might just need a clean and grease 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, IS300FSPORT said:

Thanks for sharing the quote. Recently did my own disc  & pads all around for £400 delivered from EBC brakes. Saving approx £598 due to no labour charge feel abit better now. 

Changing out the disc & pads is the easy part any garage will dl the job easy money, however whats really important on a brake job which is time consuming is the brake hardware clips need to be either replaced/ cleaned removing brake dust & corrosion to look like new with a wirebrush & caliper slider pins taken out wire brushed & regreased. Otherwise within a few hundred or thousand miles you will get that horrible squeal reappear. Also make sure they don't throw away your brake shims that go on the pads just transfer to your new pads to mitigate that squeal which are not cheap.

Thanks for the useful info, I’m not confident enough to be messing with brakes, I’m going to take it for mot at local garage and I’ll get them to do a basic service on the brakes. If they were close to need replacing, Lexus dealer would have made a big fuss, they just said keep an eye on them, they replace front discs at 25mm and rear at 16mm (or close too ok those numbers) mine they said were at that limit. They also mentioned a dry leak on the water pump, gave me the option to replace at my cost of £349.00 but didn’t think it was bad enough to do under warranty!

Regarding the relax warranty, if I take the car in at 99.9k miles and get the service done, you get the whole 10l 1 year limit, so warranty potentially up to 110k and 11 years. 

it’s a good offer, however I can see the 100k service not being cheap!!

1 hour ago, Casa1862 said:

Regarding the relax warranty, if I take the car in at 99.9k miles and get the service done, you get the whole 10l 1 year limit, so warranty potentially up to 110k and 11 years. 

it’s a good offer, however I can see the 100k service not being cheap!!

On the Lexus pricing plan 100k should just be another major service. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much wheel bearings would cost? Or part numbers for all 4 corners? Sounds like one of mine has gone. Car is 11 years old this September. 

56 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Does anyone know how much wheel bearings would cost? Or part numbers for all 4 corners? Sounds like one of mine has gone. Car is 11 years old this September. 

~240 usd for a front one on amayama.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/4355030071

Its double the price on Lexuspartsdirect 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, matt8 said:

Thanks! Worth the wait for import. Not long anyway. 

Is there a rear too? Not sure which part number. 

42410-30040

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/4241030040

Best price seems around £100 cheaper than the front fully shipped. Its definitely worth the wait for non urgent work in my opinion. Realistically it takes around 3 weeks sometimes as amayama dont always hold stock. They order it from toyota once they receive your order then ship it to you. But if its in stock i reckon it may come faster.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links