Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Intermittent wiper issue; it’s a thing!

I’d previously noted on a different thread about the rain sensing wipers ‘falling asleep’ after about 15 minutes of driving in light rain and then failing to clear the water no matter how wet the screen becomes. Having had my RX in for the first service the dealer confirmed that there is a problem and that it will require a replacement part to be installed under warranty. I’ve noticed posts on both the RX and RZ forums about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed that there is a delay in the wipers going from normal to fast speed. Its almost like they need to build up speed rather than switching immediately! 

Haven't experienced them "falling asleep" - actually the opposite that once they start on intermittent wipe during drizzle or light rain they don't switch off!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ken R said:

I've noticed that there is a delay in the wipers going from normal to fast speed

That’s interesting, I’ve not noticed that, but I’ll try and check it out before the warranty work is done.

2 hours ago, Xez said:

I’d previously noted on a different thread about the rain sensing wipers ‘falling asleep’ after about 15 minutes of driving in light rain and then failing to clear the water no matter how wet the screen becomes. Having had my RX in for the first service the dealer confirmed that there is a problem and that it will require a replacement part to be installed under warranty. I’ve noticed posts on both the RX and RZ forums about this.

There is a definite fault with a batch of wiper motors, they need to replace the motor which is integral with the wiper arm linkage. Not had a problem since they replaced mine.

• Like 2

I don't know about a motor problem but my old RX3 occasionally wouldn't operate when it rained on auto, and had to be switched to manual.  It was an intermittent issue possibly sensor related but no fault codes were detected.  Conversely, it picked up wiper speed when no increase in rain intensity occurred and had to be switched to manual.  How did we manage when there wasn't auto wipers😂.  New one works perfectly, no issues yet.  The other common issue is that the linkage between wipers relies on the tension in one of the securing nuts to make the drivers wiper work and needs a very occasional nip up.  Last time I changed my wiper blades, the drivers wiper stopped working (coincidence) and the fault was traced quickly to a nut that had come loose on the linkage.  10 yr old RX3.

Lexus Perfected this technology on the LS430 - I very rarely have to touch the wiper stalk - they work perfectly in all conditions and mines had a replacement screen in the past.

Its a pity technology which was perfect in 2004 has gremlins now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Its a pity technology which was perfect in 2004 has gremlins now!

The relentless onwards march of progress….! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links