Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Pressure Advice

Just checked the tyres on my new NX and they are set at 38psi, the plate on the pillar says 33psi (Yokohama Blue Earth XT 235/60/R18); so, they have been overinflated by 5psi. (A touch of deja vu here, as when I got my RAV it was delivered with the tyres overinflated by about 5psi. I set the RAV tyres at the psi as per the manual, but at the first service they were wearing more on the edges than the center, so I added 3psi to the book figure.)

The uneven wear isn't too much of a prob in that I'm unlikely to wear them out during the lease period, but of course I want to make sure I'm getting the best contact with the road.

Has anyone got advice on tyre pressures?

Are you checking the pressures when cold or after a drive? 

Once the tyres heat up the pressures can rise anywhere upto 5 psi from cold. 

Try checking them when they are cold. A slight increase won't do no harm it helps with luggage & passengers + better fuel economy with their being less rolling resistance, but you compromise that with reduced tyre contact on the road meaning it may slide around in the wet if pushed extremely hard into a corner. 

• Thanks 1

My experience of owning many new Lexus cars for over 25 years is that the dealers always set the pressures too high . So if you have recently bought the car that is the likely  reason. My recent RZ purchase the tyres were about 10psi over pressure. That fits in with all the cars I have bought

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, IS300FSPORT said:

Are you checking the pressures when cold or after a drive? 

Once the tyres heat up the pressures can rise anywhere upto 5 psi from cold. 

Try checking them when they are cold. A slight increase won't do no harm it helps with luggage & passengers + better fuel economy with their being less rolling resistance, but you compromise that with reduced tyre contact on the road meaning it may slide around in the wet if pushed extremely hard into a corner. 

Yes, I'm checking them cold.

It is the poorer grip I'm most concerned abou.

4 minutes ago, Saxacat said:

But the ambient temperature could still be warmer than when they were set, especially if parked in the sun.

20 minutes ago, Saxacat said:

It is the poorer grip I'm most concerned abou.

Edward... I Think i will be Changing My Yokoyama Blue Earth Tyres to Michelin primacy 2 all Weather Tyres Shortly..Heard lots of good Reports about These Tyres...Mind you Yokohamas are not the Worst Tyres To Have But Tend to be a bit Slippery in the Wet... !!!!

2 hours ago, Spock66 said:

But the ambient temperature could still be warmer than when they were set, especially if parked in the sun.

Checked them first thing this morning, with the car in the garage; so they were definitely cold.

I believe that they are over inflated in Japan and then adjusted in the UK.

Mine were very over inflated (possibly 45psi) so possibly not checked before delivery.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saxacat said:

Checked them first thing this morning, with the car in the garage; so they were definitely cold.

Edward.... definitely set them to 33psi at garage temperature.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Edward... I Think i will be Changing My Yokoyama Blue Earth Tyres to Michelin primacy 2 all Weather Tyres Shortly..Heard lots of good Reports about These Tyres...Mind you Yokohamas are not the Worst Tyres To Have But Tend to be a bit Slippery in the Wet... !!!!

Ronnie my NX came with Bridgestone Alenza fitted and I have been very happy with them. My previous RAV4 PHEV came with the same Blue Earth tyres as your NX and definitely I favour the Bridgestones. I have heard good things about Michelin Cross Climates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine were over inflated too. I set them to the factory 2.3 bar and it really improved the ride. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Ronnie my NX came with Bridgestone Alenza fitted and I have been very happy with them. My previous RAV4 PHEV came with the same Blue Earth tyres as your NX and definitely I favour the Bridgestones. I have heard good things about Michelin Cross Climates.

Agree with You Colin.. I Have Researched info on these Tyres and i can Definately say these will be my Next Go To Tyres

Thanks everyone. The lady at the dealership has the NX with the same wheel size, she uses 2.4 bar and claims to get fairly even tyre wear, so I might go with that.

Colin/Ron, I've got the car on a 3yr lease, with a total mileage of 27,000miles, so I'm hoping not to have to change tyres; we will see.

1 hour ago, Saxacat said:

Thanks everyone. The lady at the dealership has the NX with the same wheel size, she uses 2.4 bar and claims to get fairly even tyre wear, so I might go with that.

Colin/Ron, I've got the car on a 3yr lease, with a total mileage of 27,000miles, so I'm hoping not to have to change tyres; we will see.

I would like to think that we will get more than 27,000 miles out of all 4 tyres but as you say - we will see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scotlex said:

I would like to think that we will get more than 27,000 miles out of all 4 tyres but as you say - we will see.

I have done over 25k miles on my 20 inch Bridgestones and they still have lots of tread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links