Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake upgrade/update 55k - EBC Disc & Pads

Mileage 55k 2015 model

I recently decided to change the Front disc & pads MOT tester advised on the last test the front pads were running slightly low but upon inspection a year later I found the following (See below) the primary reason for changing them out is the Original pads fitted by Lexus brake dust was horrendous for an OEM pad. Pedal feel around 6mm wasn't great either could tell it took slightly longer to stop especially in close up traffic & given they were 9 years old decided it can only do good, but no favours to my wallet. I did shop around & did a comparison from Lexuspartsdirect priced around £420 & the EBC brake disc (coated) & pads all around, using the Yellowstuff pads worked out at £400 delivered. DIY so no labour cost, would be interested in knowing what the labour cost would be? Accept I could easily have done a clean & refit brakes lasting in excess of 100k+ on modern Hybrids but since the car hasn't cost me nothing I felt it deserves a treat. At least that's what I tell myself. :teehee:

Front

- Discs lipped & appear corroded (9 years old)

- Pads at 6mm no unequal wear inner/outer pads

Rear

- Disc not lipped but what appeared like heat spots & corrosion

- Pads 8mm no unequal wear inner/outer pads

- Brake shoes at 3mm

The rear brakes do less work due to hybrid regen on RWD car.

*For info new pads are 10mm

Tools

*Axle stands & low profile jack - Important 

Front jack up on subframe or dedicated sill

Rear jack up under the differntial Or dedicated sill

21mm socket  for the wheel nuts for removing alloy wheel

Impact driver helps I invested in a Miwaukee M12 Fuel a while back

1/2 Breaker bar is your best friend for removing any tight bolts, especially the caliper carrier brackets.

17mm socket- calliper carrier bracket

14mm socket - slider pins 

M8 x1.25mm bolt to remove the disc instead of hammering the discs off the hub.

Caliper compressor tool

Screwdriver to adjust rear brake shoes, using the star push inwards to rotate to expand the shoes to tighten up, experiment untill the disc rotates with a slight drag,it's now holding on 3 clicks on a steep incline pedal travel is 6/7 clicks. Feels tight, I generally only use the parking brake unless absolutely necessary. Putting it in P Holds it on a flat surface. 

Brake cleaner can x2

Silicone grease for the brake sliding pins to move freely 

Copper grease for the wheel hubs (lightly)

Wirebrush pad holder metal clips & caliper carriers, wheel hubs, clean the corrosion making it look like new.

*Reuse Original metal brake shims cleaned up well with a wirebrush & brake cleaner this should prevent brake squeal. 

At a later date will bleed the brakes but the brake fluid tester I have indicates still 'OK'

Initial review

Brake pedal travel has reduced, initial bite is fantastic & stopping much better, with the bonus of what appears to be low dust being generated done approx 200+ miles, taking it easy for the first 500 or so miles. There is a bed in procedure for track use but I didn't follow that as I don't intend to track the car in my case it wasn't necessary. Perfectly fine for fast street use. Would I recommend them absolutely! & no I'm not sponsored, unfortunately!  They seem to be good quality the discs come coated. I guess longevity will only reveal itself overtime can always report back.

A few pics should it motivate anybody to do their own.

20240517_134956.thumb.jpg.2a7fc69e7f0fabcc8d829cccfb7f025a.jpg

20240411_115552.jpg

20240411_115619.jpg

20240411_115859.jpg

Screenshot_20240518_234131_Gallery.jpg

20240510_193221.jpg

20240510_181114.jpg

20240411_121744.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome. Sounds like a good weekend DIY job. I agree that the original toyota pads are super dusty but wonder if its intentional to prolong life of the discs. My major gripe with the originals is squealing. Disappointing on a premium car. Despite having the shims etc my fronts squeal when stopping at low speeds. Do these EBC brakes fix that? Is there no squeaking/squealing? 

3 hours ago, Notamech said:

Awesome. Sounds like a good weekend DIY job. I agree that the original toyota pads are super dusty but wonder if its intentional to prolong life of the discs. My major gripe with the originals is squealing. Disappointing on a premium car. Despite having the shims etc my fronts squeal when stopping at low speeds. Do these EBC brakes fix that? Is there no squeaking/squealing? 

I had a slight squeal from the rears around 45k 2-3 years back, a clean up is all that was required, removed the pads cleaned the caliper carrier clips & regrease the slider pins it went quiet after that. Although my front pads were always silent. I think that's the common issue because they dont wear the corrosion & brake dust can become a nuisance, every 5 years or so, recommend them to be stripped & cleaned especially if your in the rust belt where you see snow & road salt. + I wash the car frequently applying a light pressured water hose on the brake disc & pads usually can see brake dust draining off this may somewhat help?! but just don't let it sit for days straight after a car wash which may cause further corrosion/seizure issues & test the brakes carefully if doing this.

The EBC pads are silent at the moment & I used the original metal shims that were fitted on the original pads & just transfered them over. Alot of garages don't transfer the shims over the old pads usually thrown in the garage bin with the shims.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links