Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First Lexus, looking to buy an IS250 2007-2010

29 minutes ago, H3XME said:

NCB still means the same thing. You generally get 10% discount for every year and it's capped at 6-7 for most insurers. So 6 NCB is 60% discount of your base quote.

You will not see this, but the underwriter's base quote is say £2000. They will then apply your 6 NCB's (60% discount). Your quote is now looking like £800 thanks to those NCBs.

If you get into an accident, but your NCBs are protected (like mine for extra £20). Your base quote next year may be £4000 because of the accident.. but you still have your NCBs so they can apply that 60% discount to that figure, so now you're paying £1600.. Now imagine what it would be like if your base quote is already high due to postcode, vehicle etc and you don't have protected no claim bonuses that you just lost in an accident.. You're gonna be quoted 4k 🫠

Someone I know rear ended a car in a crawling traffic, minimal damage to the bumper. It was deemed as 50/50 fault. They had to go through insurance because the person who got rear ended wanted to go through the insurance. The guy I know lost 2 years of his NCB and that's it. So you don't always lose all of them.

Just not the case - it use to mean -5% per year, up-to 25%. But in practice sometimes it seems to works, sometimes it does nothing... this is really like anything else on insurance... random price generator. I can guarantee you - I can go to my last quote now, remove 8 years of NCD and the quote would barely change. (PS actually did it just now - see below)

8 years NCD:

image.thumb.png.8ee3ac048c1e5520695bb2d2be70f538.png

0 years NCD (no NCD, and answer whenever I have any on other cars, company etc. also simply "no")

image.thumb.png.513410d7e0256cdc41c3a80cfaa0762a.png

Obviously, NCD makes policy cheaper, but not by much... 8 years NCD only made a difference of ~7%. Interestingly Admiral was £724 before, so it got rid of "skippy" (perhaps they have policy not to insure people with less than 2 years NCD), but made Admiral quote cheaper and generally speaking I probably would have gone for Admiral anyway as they have better conditions anyway. Where is the logic - there is none!

Also you don't need NCD protection for non-fault claims (although that is debatable). How many years NCB you lose depends on the contract... I remember when I had esure and they had table for it, like if you have 5 years and have one accident then they take 1 year away + you don't earn extra years, if you have two accidents than they take away 3 years etc. Other insurance provider remove everything. Also I remember with esure, if you had protected NCD, then for first accident nothing, but for second they still take away 2 years. It is all down to contract and small print. 

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

Those excess figures.... 😮

I need to check, but I don't believe that is how much excess is on my policy. I think it may be £125 total or maybe £250. Something like that, maybe 250 voluntary and 125 mandatory on top. Reducing excess actually made my price lower (where is logic in that?!).

That said I never cared about excess, as discussed above - regardless of excess it is never worthy to claim on your policy. Unless you were obviously at fault for the accident, but in that case I am sure one has way bigger problems to deal with than £1,000 excess.

For quote a long time my excess was something like £3000+£2000, certainly that was the case when I first insured IS250 for aforementioned £2600. Basically, you just accept the fact that you never getting anything from your insurance and just hope that it is not your fault and you can claim it from TP... or even more likely just fix the car yourself. 

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Just not the case - it use to mean -5% per year, up-to 25%. But in practice sometimes it seems to works, sometimes it does nothing... this is really like anything else on insurance... random price generator. I can guarantee you - I can go to my last quote now, remove 8 years of NCD and the quote would barely change. (PS actually did it just now - see below)

8 years NCD:

0 years NCD (no NCD, and answer whenever I have any on other cars, company etc. also simply "no")

Obviously, NCD makes policy cheaper, but not by much... 8 years NCD only made a difference of ~7%. Interestingly Admiral was £724 before, so it got rid of "skippy" (perhaps they have policy not to insure people with less than 2 years NCD), but made Admiral quote cheaper and generally speaking I probably would have gone for Admiral anyway as they have better conditions anyway. Where is the logic - there is none!

Also you don't need NCD protection for non-fault claims (although that is debatable). How many years NCB you lose depends on the contract... I remember when I had esure and they had table for it, like if you have 5 years and have one accident then they take 1 year away + you don't earn extra years, if you have two accidents than they take away 3 years etc. Other insurance provider remove everything. Also I remember with esure, if you had protected NCD, then for first accident nothing, but for second they still take away 2 years. It is all down to contract and small print. 

Omg I'm so jealous of those prices, I would have posted pictures of the car by now if I had those insurance prices :crybaby: Also don't know how you guys pay so little to protect NCD, I'd have to pay over £100 a year for that

Same as everything else - sometimes you put "protect NCD" and the prices actually drop... sometimes it is indeed like £50 or £100 extra.

Also as you can see from example above - when "price rise" it is not necessarily that same provider charges you more or less, most often is because you get more or less providers. How an why Admiral charges me £16 less on 0 NCD compared to 8 years NCD is anyone's guess, but skippy completely skipped me on 0 NCD. So my price actually dropped, but as result I get more options and my cheapest option is now more.

So it could be the case that say Admiral only offers you a quote if you choose to protect NCD (just because their bullshaite algorithm says so), so the NCD protection costs you £100, but Admiral base price was £550, whereas let's say eSure was £695. So it does cost you £100, but as result you unlock insurance option that was actually cheaper and you could not see before. 

It is literally random number generator as far as I am concerned, I doubt even insurance companies themselves knows or could explain why it works the way it does. 

14 hours ago, Linas.P said:

8 years NCD:

I’ll say it again, online quotes are pure bullsh!t for me, but look at this. 8NCB vs 0NCB

Almost ~60% increase.. could be due to my age. The older you get the less NCBs potentially mean. I don’t know. We could talk about this for weeks and get nowhere. It’s a RNG scam. 

the fact that NCBs give you 10% discount per 1 until 6-7 is what my insurance told me, so it’s not a guess. However it may not always apply. 

IMG_7135.pngIMG_7137.png

7 hours ago, H3XME said:

I’ll say it again, online quotes are pure bullsh!t for me, but look at this. 8NCB vs 0NCB

Almost ~60% increase.. could be due to my age. The older you get the less NCBs potentially mean. I don’t know. We could talk about this for weeks and get nowhere. It’s a RNG scam. 

the fact that NCBs give you 10% discount per 1 until 6-7 is what my insurance told me, so it’s not a guess. However it may not always apply. 

IMG_7135.pngIMG_7137.png

That is what I said - it is rng generator... us trying to understand and explain it is equivalent to looking at ants nest and trying to explain what individual ant is doing (arguably it probably would be easier).

Sometimes NCD works, sometimes it doesn't, as per example above - Admiral quote actually dropped. Also compare the market is owned by admiral group if I am not mistaken... so who knows how transparent it is.

The only thing I care about is to get absolutelly cheapest cover possible, compare the market seems to provide that... and that is all, because I know that I will never benefit from it, it is one way game.

• Like 1

Would also recommend trying other comparison websites. Compare the market used to be the cheapest for me but in the past 2 years GoCompare was 150-200 cheaper. 

As to why some things don't make sense, I think it's very strongly statistics based - if people with 2k excess had more crashes compared to those with 200, then they potentially see it as a risk. 

In some countries they insure a car against a person but then anyone can drive the car...isn't that a dream!

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back with another update... a sad one, as usual

This Wednesday I saw a 2009 SE-L, black with cream interior for sale in Luton for £2.999. Got a friend to come with me on Sunday, found coach tickets (luckily didn't buy them) and called to ask about the car. It was posted that day, didn't even have proper pictures or description yet. Let the guy know I'll come Sunday to see it (and of course pick it up, but didn't tell him that on the phone obviously). I didn't leave a deposit since there's a high chance I won't see it back if there's something wrong with the car. The guy on the phone was in a rush, didn't know how to hang up faster, so I just left it at that. I looked at the car daily, at least 3 times to chek if it's still available but yesterday, after checking it for like 5 times, I tried to show my girlfriend the car one last time before buying the coach tickets and getting ready, but the ad was gone... This morning the first thing I did was call the guy again and he just said "yeah it sold" and he hanged up... I have no leave days left at work and my mate was also at work until Sunday so couldn't go see it any faster.

Sadly... still looking for my IS250...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 2:34 PM, DnG said:

Coming back with another update... a sad one, as usual

This Wednesday I saw a 2009 SE-L, black with cream interior for sale in Luton for £2.999. Got a friend to come with me on Sunday, found coach tickets (luckily didn't buy them) and called to ask about the car. It was posted that day, didn't even have proper pictures or description yet. Let the guy know I'll come Sunday to see it (and of course pick it up, but didn't tell him that on the phone obviously). I didn't leave a deposit since there's a high chance I won't see it back if there's something wrong with the car. The guy on the phone was in a rush, didn't know how to hang up faster, so I just left it at that. I looked at the car daily, at least 3 times to chek if it's still available but yesterday, after checking it for like 5 times, I tried to show my girlfriend the car one last time before buying the coach tickets and getting ready, but the ad was gone... This morning the first thing I did was call the guy again and he just said "yeah it sold" and he hanged up... I have no leave days left at work and my mate was also at work until Sunday so couldn't go see it any faster.

Sadly... still looking for my IS250...

Still nothing?😂

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links