Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

STRONG petrol odour in cabin

Evening lads,

Couple days ago I went to BP to fill the tank, and gave the car (IS250) a nice full tank of fuel. Since then the cabin of the car has been really stinking of petrol fumes. My previous experience (on a BMW) lead me to check under the tank to see if there were any leaks, but there was nothing visible on the ground when the car was off/idle. I have checked around the fuel pressure sensor and don't see any visible leaks and there's no petrol smell coming from the engine bay, or near the filler cap.

I know the tank sits right underneath the rear passenger bench, so is there something I should check there? Blocked vent piping?

I did put the diag tool on the car, no reported DTCs, fuel trims are a bit skew whiff, but I don't know what "normal" valves these should be. 

The smell gets stronger when driving the car, so I wonder if maybe one of the feed pipes is leaking? 

Hey.

Have you checked under the rear seats? The fuel pump is located under them which is sealed with a rubber gasket. The rubber could've finally given out.  

Go give the back seat a sniff 🤢 and report back.

I removed the rear seat earlier, no leaks visible but the smell was STRONG. Managed to get the car on a ramp and it looks like a hose at the very tippy top of the tank either leaked, or is leaking. Is there an overflow pipe there? Only noticed the tank, because the rear of the O/S sill was very petrol-y and managed to trace it back. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links