Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2005 LS430 - New Owner: Looking for advice/tips

Hey everyone,

I purchased my LS430 on Tuesday (07/05) and have a few questions around little things I have noticed now I have had the car for a couple of days.

The first thing I noticed on the drive home is that the drivers side sounds a bit louder than the passenger side, I know the silencers can blow on these so that was my first thought. I had a look underneath while it's been on my drive and noticed a bit of rust/not deep divets on both of the silencers. This is something I am going to get my mechanic to have a look at, when I get it serviced next week, but I was wondering if it's something that might need more urgent attention from the pictures.

Drivers side:

DriversSilencer.thumb.jpg.190441002edabc2a96f7c89ecf9b552b.jpg

Passenger side:

PassengersSilencer.thumb.jpg.4a8cdc39f5600c12b0076a402b2f91e0.jpg

While I was having a look, I also noticed a little bit of rust under the doors on the frame, I believe this is surface rust (for now) as it feels solid under the flakes and plan on getting that cleaned and undersealed in the upcoming months, I live in a seaside town so will need this regardless of rust.

FrameRust.thumb.jpg.b4891e3b8c42ac047ed27a6553cf84f7.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures here, I don't have any ramps yet and will get pictures when I can.

Next up, I found out that the reversing camera, sadly, doesn't work. I checked for water ingress in the boot as part of my pre-purchase checks and it was fully dry. I was wondering if there are other checks I can do on the reversing camera before just replacing it?

Finally, the inside doesn't smell particularly great and the leather needs a good clean and condition. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which leather cleaner and conditioner I should pick up? Reddit seems to recommend Chemical Guys but their leather cleaner and conditioner is out of stock on their website, unless I buy the huge bottles.

Last question, my friend whom I went to see the car with, is part of some car owner discords and one of them recommended getting the radiator changed or an external oil cooler fitted as they start to become a failure point at 150k miles, mine has 180k, so I wanted to know which direction I should go in for this fix and if it's worth getting ahead of urgently or if I can leave it a couple of months while I build up some budget for everything?

Overall, happy with my purchase for £1800. Getting 4 new tyres today and then a complete service next week and hopefully will be able to bring the car back to it's best soon.

Thanks everyone!

Newcars.thumb.jpg.95e4b8538e96378f25e83d75c45adeae.jpg

HPI check if anyone is interested: https://www.vcheck.uk/report/GY05PUE-JVAU283

• Like 1

radiator issue .......  should have been changed at 100k miles .......  for your sanity  ........... and someone might know which of the 3 radiator options is applicable to your specific car !

Malc

Hi Malc,

Thanks for the reply. There is a whole wad of receipts and paperwork so I will have a browse through tonight and see if it is mentioned anywhere that it has been changed.

Here is the model number for the radiator:

Radiatornumber.thumb.jpg.1dd662e3b8d60575229f4261d2eedf36.jpg

Hopefully that helps.

I didn't mention it in my original post but this is my first car that hasn't been leased/a company car, so quite nervous about the whole thing but would like to learn some DIY as I go along the owning journey.

4 minutes ago, Worfell said:

Here is the model number for the radiator:

Radiatornumber.thumb.jpg.1dd662e3b8d60575229f4261d2eedf36.jpg

As it has the "5024" mark it is the more expensive of the options, a new replacement one can be found here: https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-ls-phase-3-radiator-mark-5024 . The part number is 16400-50241 ( 'MARK' 5024 Type B ).

Let us know once you've had a look through the paperwork to see if/when it has been replaced.

For a cheaper alternative you can install the external transmission cooler for around £150 which can be found on eBay from LexusSparesDirect and is an easy DIY job. This will protect the gearbox in the event the radiator does give out.

Hi, and the cambelt pulleys waterpump all changed @ 100 k miles too ? 
Malc 

Radiator refers ……. I’m just now buying one from Autodoc online for my Honda Legend …… their prices seem less challenging but I have no idea if they’re any use for supplying your Ls430 tho’ 

( vide Honda Main Dealer radiator £995 …… but With Autodoc  down to about  £145 with 61% discount on their normal price ….. they only sold about 285 Honda Legends Mk 1V in the UK so guessing they’d like to clear their stock ! ) 

Good luck !   Hope you don’t need one and it’s been changed sensibly earlier 🤔

Malc 

18 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

As it has the "5024" mark it is the more expensive of the options, a new replacement one can be found here: https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-ls-phase-3-radiator-mark-5024 . The part number is 16400-50241 ( 'MARK' 5024 Type B ).

Let us know once you've had a look through the paperwork to see if/when it has been replaced.

For a cheaper alternative you can install the external transmission cooler for around £150 which can be found on eBay from LexusSparesDirect and is an easy DIY job. This will protect the gearbox in the event the radiator does give out.

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the information. Just to check, is that the Oil Cooler Upgrade Kit for £145 from Lexus Spares Direct?

Can't see any mention of the radiator in the paperwork sadly but will get that part ordered and fitted asap. I've also added a radiator check to my list of things I would like my mechanic to look over.

14 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Hi, and the cambelt pulleys waterpump all changed @ 100 k miles too ? 
Malc 

Cheers Malc. I have two receipts for timing belts, the first at 96k, the second I can't see a mileage but it was carried out in 2022 and the sticker on the engine cover says 168k I believe.

In the second timing belt receipt, it also says the water pump and auxiliary belt were done too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worfell said:

Oil Cooler Upgrade Kit for £145 from Lexus Spares Direct

Yes, I sent the link to your friend over on Discord.

3 minutes ago, Worfell said:

radiator check to my list of things I would like my mechanic to look over.

The joints where the transmission lines enter the bottom of the radiator are the usual fail area.

As for the reversing cameras, I don't think they're too hard to come by on eBay and shouldn't set you back too much and again should be a nice easy DIY job to replace.

Sounds like you've had an absolute bargain at £1800 with that maintenance being done recently, great colour for the LS430 too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

Yes, I sent the link to your friend over on Discord.

The joints where the transmission lines enter the bottom of the radiator are the usual fail area.

As for the reversing cameras, I don't think they're too hard to come by on eBay and shouldn't set you back too much and again should be a nice easy DIY job to replace.

Sounds like you've had an absolute bargain at £1800 with that maintenance being done recently, great colour for the LS430 too.

Cheers Dom, completely didn't clock that you were the same person my friend was talking to!

Really appreciate the info!

I actually had some life out of the reversing camera when coming back from getting my tyres done, it flashed the camera image, then went black, then the guide lines came on. Gonna have a look in the boot this evening and check the connections to see if it's just loose or something else.

Ordered some Leatherique and some ACP to get the interior all refreshed.

Really happy with everything, honestly. I have been browsing for cars for a year a half being too scared to take the plunge, feel like this one is a very good start to things.

24 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Radiator refers ……. I’m just now buying one from Autodoc online for my Honda Legend …… their prices seem less challenging but I have no idea if they’re any use for supplying your Ls430 tho’ 

( vide Honda Main Dealer radiator £995 …… but With Autodoc  down to about  £145 with 61% discount on their normal price ….. they only sold about 285 Honda Legends Mk 1V in the UK so guessing they’d like to clear their stock ! ) 

Good luck !   Hope you don’t need one and it’s been changed sensibly earlier 🤔

Malc 

Appreciate the link Malc, had a quick look and they have them in from £130 upwards. Will get the opinion from my mechanic to see if it needs replacing but will get that oil cooler kit installed as soon as it comes.

• Like 1

I struggled to find an exact radiator replacement from Autodoc, Rockauto etc... I found they are either for older LS's or for US markets which have different radiators to ours unfortunately, otherwise I would have gone with that option myself.

3 minutes ago, Worfell said:

Gonna have a look in the boot this evening and check the connections to see if it's just loose or something else.

Yep good idea, hopefully it's just that.

Forgot to mention it's even more of a bargain because pre 2006 models are on the lower tax band, so it's around £400/year instead of £735/year for the exact same car.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

I struggled to find an exact radiator replacement from Autodoc, Rockauto etc... I found they are either for older LS's or for US markets which have different radiators to ours unfortunately, otherwise I would have gone with that option myself.

Thanks Dom, that's good info. Will be seeing the mechanic early next week so will find out the verdict and see what is needed.

Also, can I ask, does your bonnet have two gas struts or just the one? Found out when looking at the radiator that it doesn't stay up on it's own and started shooting out a few drops of liquid when lowering the bonnet back down which wasn't great to see. I know they are cheap and super easy to replace but the first few videos I have watched on them all have two struts.

20 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

so it's around £400/year instead of £735/year for the exact same car

I really wanted a 05/55 plate for that exact thing!

19 minutes ago, Worfell said:

does your bonnet have two gas struts or just the one

My bonnet has 2, when looking at the engine bay the left one is 53440-50060 and right is 53450-50060 but any aftermarket strut should be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomTurner said:

My bonnet has 2, when looking at the engine bay the left one is 53440-50060 and right is 53450-50060 but any aftermarket strut should be fine.

Cheers Dom, appreciate you checking, mine definitely has only one and then has a nice gap on the driver's side where the other would connect to 😅 
Had a look on LexusDirect, they are £240 each... think aftermarket will definitely be the way to go for these given they are £20 for the pair.

• Like 1

Hi Worfell,

Congratulations on your purchase, and have fun with the restoration:o) 

Apologies, I'm a bit late to the game here, but Leatherique worked well on my 400. I also went for aftermarket struts (but paid a bit more than £20), they have been good, no regrets. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that replacing the radiator is essential and it was one of the first things I did after purchasing my Ls 430. I can't help with sourcing it as I had Lexus source and carry out the work.  My understanding (hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong) that the coolant mixes in with the transmission fluid with catastrophic results.  As for the struts: there is a company (whose details escape me at the moment but are probably somewhere in the forum) who specialize in struts and they also make them specifically for Lexus cars so perfect fit and if you're handy can fit them yourself.  They are (were, not more than 5 years ago) very reasonably priced ( less than £100 for the pair; I think less than £60 in fact).  I certainly would recommend them as they worked fine and never had a problem with them.  

• Like 2

Thank you Malc1, that's the one and the struts I had from them looked better and worked as well as the originals. 

38 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Was it SGS for gas struts ? 
Malc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stanwithaplan said:

Congratulations on your purchase, and have fun with the restoration

Thank you Stan! Really happy to hear that the leatherique worked well on your 400. Hopefully I can achieve similar results 😊

1 hour ago, GEN said:

My understanding is that replacing the radiator is essential and it was one of the first things I did after purchasing my Ls 430

Cheers GEN, it's certainly something that is planned, I've been having a browse for aftermarket radiators over the past few hours as a some UK videos on youtube mentioned being able to pick them up for around £150-£200. Haven't had much luck yet, but have ordered the part that Dom recommended which I believe removes that coolant/oil mixing. Going to try and DIY that part so fingers crossed it all goes alright!

As for the struts, definitely happy paying a bit more than £20 for them, would just prefer to avoid the £500 Lexus Direct would like for the pair lol.

I had a look on SGS and they sadly don't seem to sell the struts for the LS430 anymore, they have them for the LS400 and the GS or they have the boot struts for the LS430, possibly the bonnet struts are out of stock? But I couldn't find them listed. Will have a look around for what people recommend for an aftermarket part before buying them but from what I have seen, they are a doddle to replace.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments, it's incredible the amount of knowledge and support there is on this forum!

Sorry about SGS. Hope everything works out for you.  Enjoy what has often been described as the best of the Ls models. I wish I still had mine but it was written off by the white van man (literally) and at the time I just couldn't get another...

• Like 1

Hey Sam, welcome to the club! What a good looking car, and what a bargain at £1800 🙂 As long as you stay on top of scheduled maintenance, it will serve you so well, the LS is effortless motoring personified! Would love to see more of the car, do send more pictures, the black paint is pretty rare from what I've seen.

• Like 2

Ask SGS to make you one maybe …… they did that for me on an old Mazda 323f I had a while back …….. they were very very helpful and were happy to go the extra mile …… at economy price too ……. was pre covid tho and times change ! 

Malc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GEN said:

Sorry about SGS. Hope everything works out for you.  Enjoy what has often been described as the best of the Ls models. I wish I still had mine but it was written off by the white van man (literally) and at the time I just couldn't get another...

Sorry to hear about your car, that sucks, always time to get back into one though!

Gonna give them a message in the morning like Malc suggested and see if they are able to create one for the 430 😊

56 minutes ago, MaximusPrime said:

Hey Sam, welcome to the club! What a good looking car, and what a bargain at £1800 🙂 As long as you stay on top of scheduled maintenance, it will serve you so well, the LS is effortless motoring personified! Would love to see more of the car, do send more pictures, the black paint is pretty rare from what I've seen.

Thanks Maximus! I'm going to clean the inside and out this weekend (weather permitting) then go somewhere nice to get a few photos. I'll be sure to get them shared here.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Sam :thumbup:
Concerning the bonnet struts, yes 2 are needed.
If you order aftermarket struts make sure that they have the ball that bolts into the car at either end if those are missing from yours.
Some come with the balls and others don't. If yours still has the balls fitted then you just need the strut.
These have the balls https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196260124651 and these don't https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183390158334
I fitted some aftermarket ones in 2019 (can't find the link) and they still work fine several years later.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Welcome aboard Sam :thumbup:
Concerning the bonnet struts, yes 2 are needed.
If you order aftermarket struts make sure that they have the ball that bolts into the car at either end if those are missing from yours.

Thanks BigBoomer.

I had a quick look yesterday and the missing bonnet strut has no bolts and some very interesting threads where they should go. Honestly, under the bonnet lid is a bit of mess from whomever owned it previously. Is this something I should be worried about when it comes to actually fitting the strut?

Underbonnet-MissingBolt.thumb.jpg.350eae6f112b1e228be9f38e156c93eb.jpg

I've contacted SGS and currently waiting on a reply but if they don't get back to me soonish, I will use that link with the bolts/balls, thank you!

Also, I saw in another post about your BlueMedia adapter for the Bluetooth system, I've ordered the parts you mentioned there and hope to get them installed the week. How are you finding them still?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links