Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How many have had the 'CANbus fix'?

I thought i'd start a thread based around the CANbus fix through Lexus. 

Personally, i'm very disappointed in Lexus. I know they are not the only manufacture to be troubled by this, however, over the years, I have avoided getting an RX due to CAT thefts, and this is something else which is just tainting the brand. I fully acknowledge that they cannot contact every owner as DVSA do not consider it to be a safety issue, however, they could easily have sent a letter to anyone who has had their vehicle serviced in the last few years with them. 

Annoyingly, this fix is going to be chargeable. If anyone has had it, could they state how much it has cost them? My nearest dealership is an hour away, which means that if this fix is completed, it will take most of the day to complete. 

My concern is, however, that this is still going to have an impact on these cars. Once this fix is put in place, how will an opportunist know it's not worth their time without dismantling your bumper as a fix has been completed? Maybe a window sticker is needed 😉 

• Like 3

I was at the dealer yesterday and the new fix mentioned by Lexus in March is not yet available. (All that there is currently is the RX CANbus plate)

Paul

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lexus changed the wording in their notice from “April” to “coming weeks”, suggesting an extended wait and longer timeline than originally envisaged. Until the post says a solution is available, and dealerships actually have something to update/install on vehicles affected, the answer to this thread is quite simple: zero and no-one.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?

• Like 2

It's very frustrating. What on earth do they think is going to happen. When people are spending a large amount of money on a car, they are going to want the backup and support of a premium retailer. 'Coming weeks' is just not good enough, i'm sorry. There's no reason why they cannot give an accurate time frame for product delivery. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:36 AM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

It's very frustrating. What on earth do they think is going to happen. When people are spending a large amount of money on a car, they are going to want the backup and support of a premium retailer. 'Coming weeks' is just not good enough, i'm sorry. There's no reason why they cannot give an accurate time frame for product delivery. 

There are plenty of reasons why an accurate time frame cannot be given for product delivery.

Delays in R&D, testing, manufacture, international shipping, local distribution, availability of tech to train/instruct on how to install, just to name a few. 
Even with all that sorted you still have the challenge of customer availability too!

• Like 2

I contacted my local dealer a few weeks ago to ask them about getting the fix for our UX300e. They said wait to be contacted by Lexus UK. So this won't be a quick process!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know what is happening regarding the CANBUS fix? I haven’t heard anything from either my dealer or Lexus UK

36 minutes ago, Jp77 said:

Does anybody know what is happening regarding the CANBUS fix? I haven’t heard anything from either my dealer or Lexus UK

You can now get a tracker and a geofence device installed.  This will give you a phone app to track the car and send alerts if it moves beyond an area you specify (which could be set to be "if it moves at all", e.g. useful when you are on holiday)

You should contact your dealer to get these installed.  This is what Lexus have been calling phase 1 and 2 of the security upgrades.  We eagerly await phase 3.

Paul

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jp77 said:

Thanks Paul. Are Lexus charging for these phase 1 &2 upgrades?

John

Hi John,

Not they aren't.  The install includes 3 years of tracker subscription.

Paul

1 hour ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

So, just to be clear, are Lexus adding this for free and giving a 3 year subscription? If so, what cars does this apply to?

They are certainly doing it for RX and NX (at no cost to the owner), but I think also all models which are susceptible to CAN theft.  And yes, it includes a 3 year subscription.

10 minutes ago, PDM said:

They are certainly doing it for RX and NX (at no cost to the owner), but I think also all models which are susceptible to CAN theft.  And yes, it includes a 3 year subscription.

That's good. I hope my local centre know about this.

• Like 1

Has anyone asked Lexus customer service the question " What happens if the vehicle is stolen & then recovered using the Tracker Retrieve product during the 3 year FOC subscription period as its a ONE time use only tracker? "

Will Lexus only supply one device per customer vehicle OR would they replace an activated tracker with a new device within the 3 year FOC subscription period? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, Tickedon said:

Lexus changed the wording in their notice from “April” to “coming weeks”, suggesting an extended wait and longer timeline than originally envisaged. Until the post says a solution is available, and dealerships actually have something to update/install on vehicles affected, the answer to this thread is quite simple: zero and no-one.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/lexus-uk-statement-on-vehicle-theft/?

My NX Is Going in for a Service in a few weeks time so i will be asking About The Security plate and The tracker As I have installed my own Tracking device So would have to compare Them..They In all Probability will not mention it..!!!

I'm unsure how I feel about this situation.

If a change was made to the 2021 models, it indicates that Lexus was aware of the issue. So, why wasn’t this change applied to all cars? The details of what exactly was changed aren't even clear. I worry that the 'tracking' option is merely a temporary fix—more of a plaster for peace of mind rather than a real solution.

Before I bought my NX, I was seriously considering the RX. However, I was discouraged by the high number of catalytic converter thefts from that model and Lexus's apparent lack of response. Now, with this new issue, I’m beginning to question whether I can trust this brand for my next car.

I realize that other brands are facing similar problems—there are countless horror stories on EV forums about the Kia EV6 and Hyundai. But this is Lexus, a brand renowned for its customer service and attention to detail. I’m truly disappointed that I had to learn about this issue through an online forum rather than directly from Lexus. The first thing they should have done is proactively reach out to their customers with an explanation and a solution.

Ironically, I receive calls, letters, and emails each year inviting me to their used car 'special event' with promises of big discounts. It makes me wonder—has the brand lost its way?

26 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

I'm unsure how I feel about this situation.

If a change was made to the 2021 models, it indicates that Lexus was aware of the issue. So, why wasn’t this change applied to all cars? The details of what exactly was changed aren't even clear. I worry that the 'tracking' option is merely a temporary fix—more of a plaster for peace of mind rather than a real solution.

Before I bought my NX, I was seriously considering the RX. However, I was discouraged by the high number of catalytic converter thefts from that model and Lexus's apparent lack of response. Now, with this new issue, I’m beginning to question whether I can trust this brand for my next car.

I realize that other brands are facing similar problems—there are countless horror stories on EV forums about the Kia EV6 and Hyundai. But this is Lexus, a brand renowned for its customer service and attention to detail. I’m truly disappointed that I had to learn about this issue through an online forum rather than directly from Lexus. The first thing they should have done is proactively reach out to their customers with an explanation and a solution.

Ironically, I receive calls, letters, and emails each year inviting me to their used car 'special event' with promises of big discounts. It makes me wonder—has the brand lost its way?

I would be highly surprised if Lexus did not already know quite a lot about this theft technique by 2021.  Just have a look at this article...

https://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/14378293

And hence, as you say, this may well have been the prompt to change the architecture.

People have bought new LC500s this year that are also vulnerable.

Paul

3 minutes ago, PDM said:

I would be highly surprised if Lexus did not already know quite a lot about this theft technique by 2021.  Just have a look at this article...

https://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/14378293

And hence, as you say, this may well have been the prompt to change the architecture.

People have bought new LC500s this year that are also vulnerable.

Paul

If only there were legislation that required car companies to address non-safety issues like this. I would understand if I had purchased the car from a third party and hadn’t serviced it with Lexus. However, I've been taking the car to them every year, and I even pay for a service plan—so they’re fully aware of the make and model. For all I know, the modification could have been applied to my car already. It's a 2018 model, so I doubt it, but it would have been nice to be informed.

My car is due for a service next month, and I plan to bring this up when I book it in to see what they say. Does anyone know what other 'hardware' is being added besides the tracker?

Is there a downside to this? Also, with the tracker, is the information shared with all dealerships or only with select ones in certain areas?

• 3 weeks later...

I phoned my load dealership last Friday to enquire, however the gentleman on the phone said that he was not sure if a 2018 NX would be covered and that he would need to check. I was told someone would ring back the next morning (Saturday). I phoned again today, I was told that they would pass the message on. No phone call. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links