Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The never ending stain story

Go to solution Solved by J Henderson,

Taking the mirror apart is only 2 or 3 mins work. It would've taken you longer to apply that coating. 🙂

Push in the glass near the top corner, then you can grab it from the bottom edge and unhook it. Once its out, there are 4 philips screws to remove then the whole thing comes apart.

Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of painting etc, I'd recommend splitting them open and flushing out all the loose dirt & debris. Maybe upgrade the puddle light bulb with an LED whilst you're in there.

• Like 1

Didn't realize it was that straightforward!!

I might just do that one day, a proper solution.

Aye, it took me ages prep those doors, only did the doors 😄

Found a vid that shows the dismantling of the side mirror. The guys fixing another issue but i get the picture.

To me, its something that has to be done , cant keep t-cutting paint of the door long term.

If weather stays ok, might do it today.

Damn, that guy was a bit rough and careless. But, yeah he shows how simple it is.

I unplugged the wires from the back of the mirror (just pull them), so I could place it somewhere safe, instead of having it dangling loose and getting in the way.

I thought that when i saw mallet and monkey wrench😄

I took them apart, straight forward as you pointed out. Pulling one of the mirrors and a little bit of a plastic clip snapped off with it. Probably a job better doing when its hot weather out.

They looked ok, not too bad. Brushed them off and went over them with some ACF50.

Ideally, better painting like you did but looks like rain. I think they will be ok for some time to come.

Cleaned housing out, went back together ok, even with missing plastic.

A few of the screws were quite heavily corroded, might replace those if i have to do it again.

Cheers for that, end of that saga.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Taking the mirror apart is only 2 or 3 mins work. It would've taken you longer to apply that coating. 🙂

Push in the glass near the top corner, then you can grab it from the bottom edge and unhook it. Once its out, there are 4 philips screws to remove then the whole thing comes apart.

Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of painting etc, I'd recommend splitting them open and flushing out all the loose dirt & debris. Maybe upgrade the puddle light bulb with an LED whilst you're in there.

Interesting I was under the impression I'd have to remove the entire mirror assembly from the door card, something I was planning on doing as I wanted to run some new wiring to upgrade the mirrors to a BSM ones. Would it be possible to fish some wire down into the door card when disassembled? 

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Maybe.

Mirrors-10.thumb.jpg.e34046a2a55aa58256d3e05ad6c5a3f8.jpg

Looks like there might be enough space to run another wire and follow the existing cable management?

That looks good cheers for the additional photo, will probably have to remove the door card to wire it up but atleast I won't have to disassemble the mirror again when I want to finalise the upgrade

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links