Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

SC430 v Jaguar XK 150 (60) comparison

Boomer54

I removed all the plastic covers on the engine, it gets ridiculous hot..I don't need to make it worse. I have a F9 obd reader to monitor the coolant and oil levels, it's the most important piece of kit ever.

I was under a ramp while it was getting wheel alignment in May and under the engine was like a sauna, unbelievable.

7 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Here is the exhaust note of mine - this is at around 3k rpm as I had to consider the neighbours...

https://youtube.com/shorts/FYrZgE8pr78?feature=shared

Very nice burbly growl going on there. That was probably the first difference I spotted between the XK and the SC. The tonal differences between the exhausts. Although ,because my exhaust is not stock I have no real way of knowing what a stock SC exhaust actually sounds like. Talking about differences detailing the engine bay of the XK is quite a bit harder than the SC due the way they are laid out. Probably a tick for the Lexus designers.

13 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

All that talk this morning about the Jag's got me feeling guilty for ignoring it in favour of the SC. So this afternoon was spent under the bonnet. All the carpets etc were done the other day so now it was time to put that engine bay into better shape.

Before and after shots with and without covers (no cheating leaving them on).

Before XK.jpg

BEFORE XK 1.jpg

cOVERS OFF XK.jpg

COVERS OFF XK1.jpg

COVERS ON XK.jpg

COVERS ON XK1.jpg

Damn got to go back out .Just noticed in the pic I have left a stud fitting out on a cover! Was rushing to beat the rain.

5 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Well TBF I said quite a lot in my original post, the worst thing you can do is blert on about stuff without being a subject matter expert of sorts.. I've made the same mistake many a time.!

They only sold 50 of these in the UK, there's no hope 15 are for sale on AT 15 years later. 

It's a really special thing indeed, I do plan to get this up on YouTube as many have been asking about it

The 'regular' XKR is fantastic too, astonishingly fast.

Just  coming back to the issue. I really never claimed to be an expert on the XK ,or any of it's models. I did just know there were 3 tiers starting with the XK, then the XKR and ultimately the XKR-S. Both of the latter are supercharged ,but the XKR-S enjoys slightly more BHP. Hence, when I looked for pricing information via Autotrader I entered the model data XKR-S. It listed 15 XKR-S models and within that it also showed the two engine variants 4.2 ,or the later 5.0 ltr. The pricing data for those was clear enough has described earlier. Look as I might I cannot find any other variant so at this point I don't know exactly what I am supposed to have got wrong. Not being an expert I am open to being told, but try as I might I cannot find it for myself.

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Very nice burbly growl going on there. That was probably the first difference I spotted between the XK and the SC. The tonal differences between the exhausts. Although ,because my exhaust is not stock I have no real way of knowing what a stock SC exhaust actually sounds like. Talking about differences detailing the engine bay of the XK is quite a bit harder than the SC due the way they are laid out. Probably a tick for the Lexus designers.

The stock SC sound is really quiet. It was designed for refinement and touring. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Just  coming back to the issue. I really never claimed to be an expert on the XK ,or any of it's models. I did just know there were 3 tiers starting with the XK, then the XKR and ultimately the XKR-S. Both of the latter are supercharged ,but the XKR-S enjoys slightly more BHP. Hence, when I looked for pricing information via Autotrader I entered the model data XKR-S. It listed 15 XKR-S models and within that it also showed the two engine variants 4.2 ,or the later 5.0 ltr. The pricing data for those was clear enough has described earlier. Look as I might I cannot find any other variant so at this point I don't know exactly what I am supposed to have got wrong. Not being an expert I am open to being told, but try as I might I cannot find it for myself.

Little more clarity on this issue. Of the 4.2 version 200 were produced for the European market and you are right that the number in the UK would be far fewer than that of course. Now back to Autotrader and the 15 they list. That actually includes both engine versions and only 5 of those are your 4.2 version. ! We're getting there. Pricewise they are running from 12k to 22k. The later 5 ltr version prices above that level from 32k upwards.

16 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

The stock SC sound is really quiet. It was designed for refinement and touring. 

Thanks Glyn. Obviously function would be important and touring ,well guess it might get old quick if there was too much exhaust noise continuously.

2 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

I removed all the plastic covers on the engine, it gets ridiculous hot..I don't need to make it worse. I have a F9 obd reader to monitor the coolant and oil levels, it's the most important piece of kit ever.

I was under a ramp while it was getting wheel alignment in May and under the engine was like a sauna, unbelievable.

You're making me think now. I don't know enough to know if covers might be 'harmful' because of heat retention. Guess I will have to do a little research. You have far more BHP, but does that have any meaningful heat implications? I really don't know so will have to find out.

51 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Nothing to feel bad about, I was around 2 years looking into the various XKs about - I knew nothing about a XKR-S either, so when one appears for sale there was only ever one outcome.

You can compare the Jag to the LC500 here - not much in it...keeping in mind the Jag is 15 years old but its had magic worked on its suspension by the aforementioned trio - I actually think the figures quoted are generous because if you stamp the accelelerator all hell breaks loose in D mode let alone S

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp2.php#gsc.tab=0

Here is the boot struts, a bit manky but they are doing what they should do - 48k miles on this when I got it, 1 owner - no rattles bangs knocks, still smells of leather inside.! I have aluminium on the dash because I wont be using it for a few days and it takes a minute to fit as opposed to getting a damaged dashboard and what that will involve

IMG20240821181218.jpg

IMG20240821181133.jpg

IMG20240821181139.jpg

You're making me think now. I don't know enough to know if covers might be 'harmful' because of heat retention. Guess I will have to do a little research. You have far more BHP, but does that have any meaningful heat implications? I really don't know so will have to find out.

The SC  - you dont have any so I would gather your engine runs cooler - If I went for a 1 hour drive and back home and check the engine 4 hours later it will still be hot, 2 hours later it will be scalding hot. Thats why there are vents in the bonnet.!

Little more clarity on this issue. Of the 4.2 version 200 were produced for the European market and you are right that the number in the UK would be far fewer than that of course. Now back to Autotrader and the 15 they list. That actually includes both engine versions and only 5 of those are your 4.2 version. ! We're getting there. Pricewise they are running from 12k to 22k. The later 5 ltr version prices above that level from 32k upwards.

It was 200 units, 150 were allocated to Europe LHD, and 50 were allocated to the UK.  I already explained AT - They include XKRs as a R-S - and the V5C refers to them as a XKR also. There is no XKR-S for £12K and not 15 on the list,  you still seem confused on what I actually have.

It sometimes feels everything I say is lost.

More of these were sold in Europe and they are not cheap

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/jaguar-xkr-xkr-s-4-2-s-c-coupe-gasoline-black-0a3f621f-2a2f-4121-aafa-2d48393d9343?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=5&position=5&search_id=1hfe3yfb42v&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/jaguar/jaguar-xkr-s-2008-review/

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/one-of-50-jaguar-xkr-s-for-sale/45323

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

SC430 also gets really hot when worked hard. Coolant temp remains normal, electric fan not on but car radiates heat and stinks of heat!

Yes  agree with all of those observations. The XK appears to do much the same when I have it on an extended run.

12 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Nothing to feel bad about, I was around 2 years looking into the various XKs about - I knew nothing about a XKR-S either, so when one appears for sale there was only ever one outcome.

You can compare the Jag to the LC500 here - not much in it...keeping in mind the Jag is 15 years old but its had magic worked on its suspension by the aforementioned trio - I actually think the figures quoted are generous because if you stamp the accelelerator all hell breaks loose in D mode let alone S

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp2.php#gsc.tab=0

Here is the boot struts, a bit manky but they are doing what they should do - 48k miles on this when I got it, 1 owner - no rattles bangs knocks, still smells of leather inside.! I have aluminium on the dash because I wont be using it for a few days and it takes a minute to fit as opposed to getting a damaged dashboard and what that will involve

IMG20240821181218.jpg

IMG20240821181133.jpg

IMG20240821181139.jpg

Thanks for that Toff. My struts are just like that. As you say they work ,but it.s a shame that when the car looks as good as it does they kind of let it down.

At 48k you bought low miieage in my view which pushes up the buy price. My arbitrary cut off for low mileage is 50k, mid range from there to 100k, top range upwards of that.

11 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

It was 200 units, 150 were allocated to Europe LHD, and 50 were allocated to the UK.  I already explained AT - They include XKRs as a R-S - and the V5C refers to them as a XKR also. There is no XKR-S for £12K and not 15 on the list,  you still seem confused on what I actually have.

It sometimes feels everything I say is lost.

More of these were sold in Europe and they are not cheap

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/jaguar-xkr-xkr-s-4-2-s-c-coupe-gasoline-black-0a3f621f-2a2f-4121-aafa-2d48393d9343?sort=standard&desc=0&lastSeenGuidPresent=true&cldtidx=5&position=5&search_id=1hfe3yfb42v&source_otp=t10&ap_tier=t10&source=listpage_search-results&order_bucket=2

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/jaguar/jaguar-xkr-s-2008-review/

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/one-of-50-jaguar-xkr-s-for-sale/45323

"It sometimes feels everything I say is lost." Sorry you feel like that. I am interested and trying to understand what I got wrong regarding the XKR-S and it's pricing structure. In the interests of education can you tell me why the following is not an XKR-S and how would I know that from the description and pics. The aforementioned described it as an XKR-S and it is badged RS. The performance data suggests it holds the same kind BHP as your pistonhead advert. Clearly you must be seeing something that tells you something more so for future use if I know that then I will have learned something today.

Actually forget it. You are correct ,but Autotrader want shooting with something big and heavy.

If I wanted to be bloody minded I could give somebody a very good legal action citing Misrepresenation.

I quote;

he Misrepresentation Act 1967 is a key piece of legislation in the UK that protects buyers from false or misleading statements made by sellers. If a seller makes a false statement that induces a buyer to enter into a contract, the buyer may have the right to rescind the contract or claim damages1.

In the case of Autotrader the title AD describes the car to be "Jaguar XKR-S". Only when you enter the body of the AD thinking you already know what you are looking at does the decsription change to XKR !!

Very naughty.

27 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

"It sometimes feels everything I say is lost." Sorry you feel like that. I am interested and trying to understand what I got wrong regarding the XKR-S and it's pricing structure. In the interests of education can you tell me why the following is not an XKR-S and how would I know that from the description and pics. The aforementioned described it as an XKR-S and it is badged RS. The performance data suggests it holds the same kind BHP as your pistonhead advert. Clearly you must be seeing something that tells you something more so for future use if I know that then I will have learned something today.

Actually forget it. You are correct ,but Autotrader want shooting with something big and heavy.

If I wanted to be bloody minded I could give somebody a very good legal action citing Misrepresenation.

I quote;

he Misrepresentation Act 1967 is a key piece of legislation in the UK that protects buyers from false or misleading statements made by sellers. If a seller makes a false statement that induces a buyer to enter into a contract, the buyer may have the right to rescind the contract or claim damages1.

In the case of Autotrader the title AD describes the car to be "Jaguar XKR-S". Only when you enter the body of the AD thinking you already know what you are looking at does the decsription change to XKR !!

Very naughty.

Actually the very last one at the £22k is described as a XKR-S throughout and it is badged R-S The other 3 at the lower end of the price range stated are indeed XKR misdescribed. Do we agree on that?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Actually the very last one at the £22k is described as a XKR-S throughout and it is badged R-S The other 3 at the lower end of the price range stated are indeed XKR misdescribed. Do we agree on that?

The issue seems to be with Autotrader in the way it labels the vehicles. None of the traders actually state XKR-S on their websites, it is just the AT advert heading.

The private sale one at £22.5k certainly looks a genuine XKR-S.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The issue seems to be with Autotrader in the way it labels the vehicles. None of the traders actually state XKR-S on their websites, it is just the AT advert heading.

The private sale one at £22.5k certainly looks a genuine XKR-S.

Took me awhile of digging, but I have arrived eventually at the same conclusion.

3 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Thanks for that Toff. My struts are just like that. As you say they work ,but it.s a shame that when the car looks as good as it does they kind of let it down.

At 48k you bought low miieage in my view which pushes up the buy price. My arbitrary cut off for low mileage is 50k, mid range from there to 100k, top range upwards of that.

I've not given them a second though, I've certainly more to worry about driving this than manky struts! Keeping on top of service is crucial, I had two oil changes when I had received the car because I didn't know or trust what was used in the initial service so had it replaced by correct oil and filter soon after, transmission fluid and brake fluid and everything else with a fluid was done, coolant was ok mind. Transmission service around £400.

Front Brakes were refurbished a few years ago at a circa £2000 bill but I had the calipers inspected 

I wouldn't really worry about the struts too much what's more annoying is that cover in the boot with them useless clips, I've given up trying to replace them and using the car without the cover now as per photo 

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

The last time I checked there was ONE real XKRS on auto trader, a 4.2 version. In Scotland 

You need to remember here we are talking volumes sold of these cars of basically nothing, the fact that the DVLA says it's a XKR is telling they couldn't be bothered with paperwork for a few extra cars.

The engine is the same but the ECU is mapped differently I believe, transmission changes most likely are different, suspension is different the interior is all black and there's a carbon fibre aero kit fitted, Alcon brakes have 6 pots in the front (400mm disc) and 4 pots in the rear. No spare wheel because they couldn't get a wheel to cover the rear wheels back then so they included  repair gunk 

XKR-S branded mats are included and XKR-S branded seats too, my car mats are in the loft as you won't ever see them again and I think they would cost several hundred pounds itself if you were to find a set 

Driving mine each day knocks any future value off it I would think but that's my own problem.

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Yes that sounds about right, the rear RS badge can be retrofitted, the speedometer can't, the sills and seats have branding too - there's clues but you need to know what to look for 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I've not given them a second though, I've certainly more to worry about driving this than manky struts! Keeping on top of service is crucial, I had two oil changes when I had received the car because I didn't know or trust what was used in the initial service so had it replaced by correct oil and filter soon after, transmission fluid and brake fluid and everything else with a fluid was done, coolant was ok mind. Transmission service around £400.

Front Brakes were refurbished a few years ago at a circa £2000 bill but I had the calipers inspected 

I wouldn't really worry about the struts too much what's more annoying is that cover in the boot with them useless clips, I've given up trying to replace them and using the car without the cover now as per photo 

The boot cover has just one function that I can see. That is stopping people having a line of sight into your boot. Maybe, and I don't really know, it might help reduce noise? On the otherhand it makes access to the rear screen impossible for cleaning. Don't know about you ,but I rarely have anything in the boot so I might take take it off and see what happens noisewise if anything.

14 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

The last time I checked there was ONE real XKRS on auto trader, a 4.2 version. In Scotland 

You need to remember here we are talking volumes sold of these cars of basically nothing, the fact that the DVLA says it's a XKR is telling they couldn't be bothered with paperwork for a few extra cars.

The engine is the same but the ECU is mapped differently I believe, transmission changes most likely are different, suspension is different the interior is all black and there's a carbon fibre aero kit fitted, Alcon brakes have 6 pots in the front (400mm disc) and 4 pots in the rear. No spare wheel because they couldn't get a wheel to cover the rear wheels back then so they included  repair gunk 

XKR-S branded mats are included and XKR-S branded seats too, my car mats are in the loft as you won't ever see them again and I think they would cost several hundred pounds itself if you were to find a set 

Driving mine each day knocks any future value off it I would think but that's my own problem.

So, it's probably this one?

Anyway, in conclusion, I think we can all agree you got yourself a hell of a car and the satisfaction of ownership, driving it, that's what most of us here are looking for and what you got.

2008 Black Jaguar Xkr-S 4.2 V8 Coupe 2dr Petrol Auto Euro 4 (420 ps) for sale for £22,500 in EDINBURGH, CITY OF EDINBURGH (autotrader.co.uk)

• Thanks 1

That's a nice touch with the metal valances contrast concept. I also like the wing mirros are colour coded and most of the side vents. My wing mirrors are a quite 'pasticky' chrome. Probably the single biggest thing I don't like about the aesthetics of the car. I'm going to stop looking now ,as I can feel an urge to do something financially naughty just starting to raise it's head.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links