Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Mossy's SC430

Mossypossy

Why is my gearknob not as walnutty as the rest of the wood?

It is a paler brown.

Does anyone else suffer this anomaly?

Dover 11.jpg

9 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Why is my gearknob not as walnutty as the rest of the wood?

It is a paler brown.

Does anyone else suffer this anomaly?

Dover 11.jpg

Oh we could have some fun here. Where to start ?

Straight to boring as it's not that sort of forum. One place to start would be to enquire is the knob in question solid walnut? The panels are certainly veneered and there is typically a colour difference between veneer and it's solid counterpart due to the natural variance to be found across a section of wood. Walnut as it happens typically has more variance in it than some other common types of wood.

2 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Would it be improper to ask for pictures of other folks' knobs?

Coming right up.

Mine's leather with a bit of chrome and a bit worn around the edges.

With a resistor the double innuendos 😉
Had a look on Auto Trader and yes the knobs are all a lighter shade 👍🏻

I had this one on two previous SC’s, it’s from a 2001 IS200 SE 👍🏻

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

Another 600 miles and not a single SC430 to be seen.

A few lookie likies from the back end, notably modern Mercs copying the design.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

notably modern Mercs copying the design

I always thought it was the other way round - Lexus copying the SLK model????

A member at the SC430 meeting had a different twist on the leather gear knob I posted up…guy has colour coded it to match the seats. Great idea but fell it will get grubby quickly.

IMG_7208.jpeg

8 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Coming right up.

And here it is. Clearly lighter than the other parts which are veneered panels.

Knob.jpg

OK. Will keep it as is.

39 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

And here it is. Clearly lighter than the other parts which are veneered panels.

Knob.jpg

That is a well handled knob. You wear a ring on each finger?

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

OK. Will keep it as is.

That is a well handled knob. You wear a ring on each finger?

Did I read this correctly?

• Haha 1

Recolouring your front seats. What size bottle of dye did you need assuming you did both front seats?

• 2 weeks later...

Just clay barred it. Next will be a three stage machine polish followed by waxing after painting the stone chips.

Might get it done by next week when we go to Switzerland.

48 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Oh and I have a clicky drivers door stay. Passenger is quiet.

Big heavy doors, driver side will alway wear quicker as used more.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:06 AM, Mossypossy said:

Portuguese roads in the north are glorious. No potholes and pretty much no traffic.

Thank you for the insightful comment about road conditions in Northern Portugal. As I begin planning my Portugal visit next year, I'll be sure to spend time exploring the country's northern regions with a Mini Hatch rental car. Based on this article I read https://travellerinterrupted.org/coastal-algarve-and-alentejo-road-trip/ “Driving along the West Algarve and the Alentejo coastal roads was a very scenic road trip, and almost devoid of traffic” but the article was around 5 years ago, I'm also curious if conditions are still similarly pleasant down south, @Mossypossy. I also found some other potential good driving destinations like Peniche, Monsaraz, and Monsanto from this article https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-portugal-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5600 

• Like 1

Just a little hopefully helpful advice …… When I did my Portugal drive some years ago I found much confusion queuing in the several different lane Qs to cross that bridge into Lisbon ……. I got it wrong …… verbally reprimanded by the Officer dealing with the Qs and quite ridiculed tbh …….. 

So, choose the correct Q, somehow, to avoid being classed as a reprobate by the Officials 

Good luck 🤞 😄

Malc 

Back to my car.

Managed three stage polish on the roof before the rain. Just need to spend another three hours on the rest of the car. No wonder car detailing is so expensive. Then you drive it on a wet motorway and all that work is undone!

DA polisher, Menzerna compounds and Lake Country pads, followed by Finish Kare wax, just in case we have any detailing freaks reading.

2 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Back to my car.

Managed three stage polish on the roof before the rain. Just need to spend another three hours on the rest of the car. No wonder car detailing is so expensive. Then you drive it on a wet motorway and all that work is undone!

DA polisher, Menzerna compounds and Lake Country pads, followed by Finish Kare wax, just in case we have any detailing freaks reading.

What really annoys me is like what happened a couple of days ago. Car has been washed so lovely and clean and a nice dry sunny day so time for a nice drive with the top down. Then the road you are  driving on has a burst water main for a hundred yards so the car is now absolutely splattered with dirty water and needing another wash on returning home. This has happened to me several times before.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links