Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus 450h Tacuma Stolen - Surrey- 2024 Warning

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

One update is you may find your car now appears to have an outstanding recall, I have the RX with plates already fitted so must be for something else.

We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/vehicle-recall

mine is not, not sure why ( other than I have fitted the plate)

We are pleased to confirm that your Lexus is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required.

4 hours ago, Spock66 said:

One update is you may find your car now appears to have an outstanding recall, I have the RX with plates already fitted so must be for something else.

We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/vehicle-recall

Just checked my 21 rx450h and no recall needed apparently (had the plates fitted a few weeks ago )

It is the first time I have heard about the issue of theft affecting the RX 4th generation. I have checked the Lexus online recall service and mine is not subject to any recall. Would it be possible that the Lexus dealer (they are excellent) that has serviced my car has fitted a plate without telling me ? It would be great if they did it. Also is this issue of theft of the RX affecting only London or does it affect also the other parts of the UK ? Thank you

On 5/30/2024 at 2:46 PM, GSLV6 said:

Lets hope so.  Rumour now is that their fix may be an offer of an immobiliser developed with Lexus and being offered via Lexus insurance presently (only).  That being the case, they're be a queue of RX4 customers with pitchforks and lighted torches picketing Lexus dealerships demanding that ALL RX4 customers get this FOC and not, as currently it appears, just if they insure with Lexus.  I'd be appalled if that were the case.

I just renewed with Lexus Insurance and I was told that I would need to fit an immobiliser from an approved list. I then asked if the immobiliser that Lexus Insurance fitted was valid and was told provided I hadn't removed it things were fine and it was a mistake that they didn't have the car flagged as having the immobiliser fitted.

I'm bit suspicious that they're not offering the free immobiliser anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, msdsx said:

My Dec 21 is not listed for a recall, hasn't had the plates fitted...

Get the plates fitted asap ,at least that helps until the software upgrade is rolled out 

8 hours ago, FredD said:

It is the first time I have heard about the issue of theft affecting the RX 4th generation. I have checked the Lexus online recall service and mine is not subject to any recall. Would it be possible that the Lexus dealer (they are excellent) that has serviced my car has fitted a plate without telling me ? It would be great if they did it. Also is this issue of theft of the RX affecting only London or does it affect also the other parts of the UK ? Thank you

No They would have to ask you in the first instance and then if agreed with yourself Fit the plate.. That is standard practice and code of conduct..They would Never Ever not mention it.!!!

On 6/2/2024 at 12:41 AM, FredD said:

As far as I’m aware there is no recall. It’s down to individual owners to find the info and hassle their dealer for the plates. If anyone knows different…?

27 minutes ago, eightk said:

As far as I’m aware there is no recall. It’s down to individual owners to find the info and hassle their dealer for the plates. If anyone knows different…?

There won't be an official recall, not one that involves government agencies as it isn't a safety issue.

Lexus can choose to to inform all owners via their database of ownership (which goes out of date as people buy/sell their vehicles), through proactive advertising, inform owners as they bring their vehicles in for service, or just expect owners to find out themselves and enquire with their dealer.

9 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

There won't be an official recall, not one that involves government agencies as it isn't a safety issue.

Lexus can choose to to inform all owners via their database of ownership (which goes out of date as people buy/sell their vehicles), through proactive advertising, inform owners as they bring their vehicles in for service, or just expect owners to find out themselves and enquire with their dealer.

That was my understanding - recalls are for safety stuff only. Lexus could choose to give a crap and use their databases to prevent thefts by informing owners. But so far Lexus is choosing not to. How that’ll translate into potential owners also choosing not to will probably become more apparent in the next few months.
Has anybody with an RX actually been contacted and offered the plates, or is it only through this website that people are learning about both the problem and Lexuses solution?

Just now, eightk said:

Has anybody with an RX actually been contacted and offered the plates, or is it only through this website that people are learning about both the problem and Lexuses solution?

Personally through this website and after numerous emails

5 hours ago, talaipwros said:

Personally through this website and after numerous emails

What I mean is, without asking, without initiating communications, has anybody been contacted out of the blue by their dealer or Lexus themselves to inform the owner of the problem and to offer the plates as a solution? 

I came to this forum after LV declined to renew our insurance citing thefts. There was no information given to us by Lexus directly or by the Lexus dealer - a really poor showing by them in my view. 

• Sad 1

On 6/2/2024 at 8:37 AM, Paul Mingay said:

Get the plates fitted asap ,at least that helps until the software upgrade is rolled out 

Thanks, but I have the Scorpion Can immobiliser and tracker, I don't think the plates will make much difference except more damage if the scrotes try to remove them.

It seems we're being left with one deterrent only, and that is to fit the best steering wheel lock you can find.  Thieves may not bother and go onto the next one if they see one is fitted.  How ironic that with the march of technology used on these vehicles, we have to revert to a basic physical deterrent to make things more difficult/unattractive.  Don't skimp as cheap ones are a complete waste of money and time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

It seems we're being left with one deterrent only, and that is to fit the best steering wheel lock you can find.  Thieves may not bother and go onto the next one if they see one is fitted.  How ironic that with the march of technology used on these vehicles, we have to revert to a basic physical deterrent to make things more difficult/unattractive.  Don't skimp as cheap ones are a complete waste of money and time. 

Any recommendations please?

Security is best in layers.

Plates, steering lock, canbus immobiliser, tracker, guard dog, watch towers, patroling guards etc.

The more obstacles you put in the way, the lower the risk of the thieves taking the car.  Nothing is 100% but defence in depth is the best approach.

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Security is best in layers.

Plates, steering lock, canbus immobiliser, tracker, guard dog, watch towers, patroling guards etc.

The more obstacles you put in the way, the lower the risk of the thieves taking the car.  Nothing is 100% but defence in depth is the best approach.

Thank you. I will start with a steering lock and butting the front of the car next to a wall on the LHS. 

Any recommendations on a good steering lock please?

I recommend the Disklok Gold edition (newest one) which is Sold Secure and recommended by the Police, failing that, there is a cheaper "Extreme" whole wheel cover lock option from another manufacturer, not as secure but still seems highly reviewed, and finally the Lexus recommended Stoplock Pro Elite.  The lock itself on that is good and it withstands attack as well as the disklok plus is easier to store but crucially can be overcome by cutting the steering wheel although if placed as suggested between spokes, it involves several awkward cutting angles to achieve this.

Only locks which cover the whole wheel offer more security as with the first two recommended.

Some people also buy a hefty (more than 12mm link size) bike chain and lock and pass the chain through a front wheel to deter theft or a decent proper car wheel lock and use that in combination with the steering wheel lock.   Decent bike locks and chains are very expensive. TBH, not many (even professional) thieves might bother to try and pinch a car with these deterrents fitted due to the added time and attention it would create.

A bare minimum recommendation would be have the steel plates fitted and use a steering lock.  Trackers imho aren't worth the cost.  Thieves will pinch a car with a tracker as they can rip the parts out they want in minutes anyway, pus if it's the car they want they'll leave it somewhwere for a day to see if it's being watched and if not, try and locate the tracker.  It doesn't prevent theft in the first place but you stand a better chance of having (what's left of your) car recovered.

There are a few trackers which include immobilisers which piggy back onto the canbus system and add a layer of security requiring a key fob supplied with the tracker to be in proximity before the engine can be started.  Why lexus just doesn't roll these out to all customers as the obvious solution is beyond me (cost?)

• Like 1

This is so complicated. For those who are lucky to have a garage the cheaper and more practical solution is to keep their car inside  until Lexus find a suitable solution (I am not sure how long it will take them though)

Just checked online and mine is subject to the recall campaign:

"We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall."

I have the plates fitted too, so can't be that unless their records need updating.

I contacted Lexus who say nothing's outstanding on the service records (which should show it) and the software "fix" hasn't yet been notified or rolled out so can only guess that whilst the service team's records are up to date, the customer portal isn't for some odd reason!  My plates were done 2 months back.

I had my plates fitted last year and I enquired yesterday when  had my RX serviced what was happening re extra security etc.

I was told that Lexus has a software update for the canbus issues and that it should have been rolled out at the end of April but it has been delayed and there is no confirmed date for it to happen.

The "service advisor " confirmed that I was third on the list to have done.

I think the answer is to pester your dealer so that you are informed when an update comes available

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links