Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Canbus theft scandal

Blimey, that explains the front wheel thing. Maybe I could remove the liner and shield the wiring in some way. I'm really not a fan of imobilisers as they are prone to fail and cause problems. Ive heard of software and an app that changes throttle response, also renders the car useless when switched off! 

What I would say is I always try searching for a subject but often dont find it on these sites, must be doing something wrong 🤪 

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to lexus, in fact three days new. However today no car is safe from the many toe-rags breaking into cars and driving away. Yes there is a design fault àllowing the can-bus to be accessed and used to start and drive away the car. But even if lexus put a plate to cover the can-bus cable the toe-rags would just break a light to get to the cables. Look at the problems land rover owners now face in London, some cannot even get insurance. 

However the real questions are. Why is it possible for these toe-rags to break into a car, and then get it out of the uk to sale in Africa or Russia etc. What if anything is the legal system, the port police, customs etc doing to stop this. In a word, NOTHING. 

Lexus, and other car manufacturers need to band together with the insurance companies and get the government to sort this problem out once and for all. And this comes from a man who so far over three years as had 1x 530i bmw and 1x Toyota rav4 nicked from his works car park. 

No matter what car manufacturers do to try to stop car thief, it's how good the police are at catching the sods, how hard the courts come down on them. And the will to stop the gangs doing this. However into days uk, don't hold your breath waiting for anything to be done, unless the government can make money from it.

1 hour ago, Terry1956 said:

I am new to lexus, in fact three days new. However today no car is safe from the many toe-rags breaking into cars and driving away. Yes there is a design fault àllowing the can-bus to be accessed and used to start and drive away the car. But even if lexus put a plate to cover the can-bus cable the toe-rags would just break a light to get to the cables. Look at the problems land rover owners now face in London, some cannot even get insurance. 

However the real questions are. Why is it possible for these toe-rags to break into a car, and then get it out of the uk to sale in Africa or Russia etc. What if anything is the legal system, the port police, customs etc doing to stop this. In a word, NOTHING. 

I agree there is a policing problem re vehicle theft and getting the cars out of the country. But the lack of encryption for the canbus, which is what facilitates these thefts,is a specific Toyota/Lexus failure. The importance of encryption has been demonstrated time and again since WW2. It is such a basic error on Toyota/Lexus part that it deserves ridicule and blame. 

Same as manufacturers who messed up encryption on their wireless keys. 

For years manufacturers haven’t taken theft seriously, and we all pay the price through premiums. The only one who seems to get it is Tesla. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tickedon said:

I agree there is a policing problem re vehicle theft and getting the cars out of the country. But the lack of encryption for the canbus, which is what facilitates these thefts,is a specific Toyota/Lexus failure. The importance of encryption has been demonstrated time and again since WW2. It is such a basic error on Toyota/Lexus part that it deserves ridicule and blame. 

Same as manufacturers who messed up encryption on their wireless keys. 

For years manufacturers haven’t taken theft seriously, and we all pay the price through premiums. The only one who seems to get it is Tesla. 

What you say is partly true. Car manufacturers have tried to move on to counter theft. Remember how you could get into any car with a soft key, or if it was a BMW with central locking, pumping half a tennis ball up against the door lock would work, or disabling the alarm system by jamming a screwdriver in the side light breaking the built. And many other ways. So things have moved on.

However, apart from the useless government body, the biggest problem is a general dishonesty in the population. Let's paint a picture. If you are going to use an encrypted can-bus system, then it also needs software that can decode the system. This decode information is available for a price to any garage, and with some makes you can buy a cambus code reader with which you can do many things, even start the car, unlock doors etc. These items are needed to service the car, fault finding etc. So the weaker link is the chap working on your car. Now how easy would it be to find someone who would have access to the decoder, and would pass the information on. Or how much would it take to pirate the decoder, after all it's big money. 

So in the end it's down to governments, to sort the problem out, by just making it not worth ten years inside. But it will never happy in my life time. They are just too weak minded, and are just not interested in us to care.

On 7/28/2024 at 11:57 AM, Tom999 said:

Blimey, that explains the front wheel thing. Maybe I could remove the liner and shield the wiring in some way. I'm really not a fan of imobilisers as they are prone to fail and cause problems. Ive heard of software and an app that changes throttle response, also renders the car useless when switched off! 

What I would say is I always try searching for a subject but often dont find it on these sites, must be doing something wrong 🤪 

Only way to protect it 100% is to disable the car eg a proper immobiliser that requires a code or fob to get the car started. The steel canbus plates that protect the canbus wiring connectors means the thieves will simply cut the wires further up the loom instead - this has already happened from what I’ve read.

I have a tracker and immobiliser that I paid for so I questioned my dealer about Lexuses offer of a basic tracker. From my dealers response 2nd August : “

Lexus have come back to us saying there will be an OBD device available for models which we can fit a tracker on but the parts are unavailable as it stands.”

The OBD device doesn’t sound like it’s much use unless it is an actual canbus immobiliser - I’ll wait to see what they say.

If you have an affected car I’d still recommend an immobiliser of some form, with stickers and/or flashing leds to advertise the fact. 

3 hours ago, eightk said:

Only way to protect it 100% is to disable the car eg a proper immobiliser that requires a code or fob to get the car started. The steel canbus plates that protect the canbus wiring connectors means the thieves will simply cut the wires further up the loom instead - this has already happened from what I’ve read.

I have a tracker and immobiliser that I paid for so I questioned my dealer about Lexuses offer of a basic tracker. From my dealers response 2nd August : “

Lexus have come back to us saying there will be an OBD device available for models which we can fit a tracker on but the parts are unavailable as it stands.”

The OBD device doesn’t sound like it’s much use unless it is an actual canbus immobiliser - I’ll wait to see what they say.

If you have an affected car I’d still recommend an immobiliser of some form, with stickers and/or flashing leds to advertise the fact. 

If you can provide proof ( receipts ) for the tracker and immobiliser that you have had fitted, write to Lexus UK Head office addressed to the Executive Office explaining you have a superior tracker unit fitted and see no point in accepting their offer of an inferior unit. Ask for a contribution to the cost of the unit you have paid to have fitted.  I have a friend who has done this and received a refund for the purchase of an S5 tracker from Lexus UK. Just need to be polite but very firm in your request.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

my Rx got stolen on 22.8.24 and the thieves have accessed the car through passenger side headlight. 

Is this the CanBus issue? 

• Sad 1

Hi All, new owner of a Nx300h 2014. Certainly concerned with the CanBus vulnerability of the car which definitely is a manufacturer's fault.

Interestingly, I called my local Lexus (edgeware), they were booking me in for the free tracker. However last min they informed me that as my car is 2014 model, thus not available for the tracker they supply as its only for 2015 onwards! 

I have requested a written confirmation that my car 2014 model is susceptible to the CanBus theft and that Lexus can do nothing about it! (disappointed)

I guess only option is to purchase a tracker/immobiliser myself, does anyone have any suggestion? Only heard of Ghost.

Will definitely try get some compensation from Lexus head office but won't hold my breath. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

7 hours ago, Malcomx said:

Hi All, new owner of a Nx300h 2014. Certainly concerned with the CanBus vulnerability of the car which definitely is a manufacturer's fault.

Interestingly, I called my local Lexus (edgeware), they were booking me in for the free tracker. However last min they informed me that as my car is 2014 model, thus not available for the tracker they supply as its only for 2015 onwards! 

I have requested a written confirmation that my car 2014 model is susceptible to the CanBus theft and that Lexus can do nothing about it! (disappointed)

I guess only option is to purchase a tracker/immobiliser myself, does anyone have any suggestion? Only heard of Ghost.

Will definitely try get some compensation from Lexus head office but won't hold my breath. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd check with Lexus UK that your car isn't affected. If it is, you should be offered an immobiliser and geofence device.

I had a Scorpion Cat S5 tracker fitted (I can track the car myself on an app) with an additional immobiliser upgrade, done by trackerteam. I've also fitted stickers in the hope that puts thieves off causing damage before they realise the car can't be stolen easily. Visible steering lock can't do any harm either.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links