Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

V8 hybrid v w12 turbo

Newbie777

Hello,

I am not an expert and so this my opinion only...

As I own both the Ls600hl and a Bentley Continrntal Gt, just tthought I would do a quick comparison  (yes I agree it is a bit unfair as the Bentley has two turbos).

So we are looking at the Lexus v8 (438bhp) and the Bentley W12 (550 bhp)

Weight the Lexus is 2.8 tonnes and the Bentley is 2.5 tonnes.

00-60 for the Lexus I would say 6.0s and Bentley 4.8s.

Torque I don't have at hand, but think the Bentley has more.

So performance the Bentley is the clear winner? NO, if we take the two turbos off the Bentley I would say it would be a draw, so Lexus are right by saying the LS600 can compete directly with a v12.

Also I would like to talk about real feel. Both cars are heavy barges and for me you don't feel you are doing fast speeds as they are so well insulated, especially the Lexus.

However. At 69mph or slightly above the Lexus feels floaty (even in sport mode) and the Bentley is very stable indeed.

Overtaking wise but cars are very very fast especially 50mph upwards.

Stopping, the Bentley has huge brakes and they feel much better than the regenerative ones on the Lexus.

Mpg the Lexus is 17 to 30 mpg and Bentley is 7 to 20mpg, so a big difference in town and motorway (and going to Europe and back).

So both cars are super luxury cars. One is made to tour Europe and back elegantly and the other is to take on the worlds finest luxury cars.

So what do I like.. In the Bentley  I love the power.  sound of the W12 and the tiptronic gearbox. In the Lexus I like the drive (lower speeds) and effortless acceleration.

They are two completely different cars,in the sense that the  Lexus is discrete and dependable. The Bentley is louder and has more presence and occasion 

I am a petrol head and love the W12, silky smooth but potent. The V8 aldo snarls but rarely.

But if it is one car and I want to  smie every time. then would have to be the Lexus! Can't stand waiting with a broken down car.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Weight the Lexus is 2.8 tonnes and the Bentley is 2.5 tonnes

That's a surprise. I would have thought the Bentley would be heavier. But then again - the batteries.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GMB said:

That's a surprise. I would have thought the Bentley would be heavier. But then again - the batteries.

I was shocked when I found out it was 2.8 tonnes and slightly dissapointed that it was not planted on the motorway with all that weight.

I hate 0 to 60 times anyway. Who really cares? 

18 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

w12 ftw, they are endangered species, I imagine at some point in the near future the government will find ways to make it very difficult to own such a thing. 

I think the engines will be made up on tables.lol

1 hour ago, Newbie777 said:

I think the engines will be made up on tables.lol

I can imagine everything will become low displacement petrol turbo hybrids in the future….

Never driven a Continental but they have certainly grown on me. I’d consider owning one if I wasn’t terrified of it breaking down. Particularly like the facelifts and newer shaped ones….

How has reliability been??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

I can imagine everything will become low displacement petrol turbo hybrids in the future….

Never driven a Continental but they have certainly grown on me. I’d consider owning one if I wasn’t terrified of it breaking down. Particularly like the facelifts and newer shaped ones….

How has reliability been??

No been as expected really. New rear caliper, one front suspension strut, leather roof lining was sagging now done. 3rd brake light disabled. Window actuator replaced. Tpms disabled, Large Battery replaced. Owned last 2 years done 5k miles. It has 625nhp. 850 NM torque etc done for smooth running. Driven every few days so no warning light etc.

34 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

The Continental Flying Spur would be a more direct comparison.

Practicality is another factor where Lexus wins I imagine the rear is pretty cramped in the Bentley, but Bentley Continental certainly wins on the looks.

I was looking at the Spur before I bought the Lexus. The Spur has a softer ride and is only slightly slower than the GT.

Other bits I did not mention in the Bentley is the interior. All leather, metal or wood, onlu plastic on speaker grills.

Mine had the massage and heated seats in the front too. Otherwise everything is outdated.

Not much room in the back either. only suitable for kids.

16 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

I imagine at some point in the near future the government will find ways to make it very difficult to own such a thing

I think the government are leaving that strategy to the insurance companies.

In most European countries this has already happened. Based on Co2 everything over 6 cylinders is taxed to death. Models will become so expensive they are not sellable so out they go. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Yes, £750 per year road tax on the ISf now - that's £15 quid a week!.  Not to mention the effing insurance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMB said:

Yes, £750 per year road tax on the ISf now - that's £15 quid a week!.  Not to mention the effing insurance.

Methinks lots of cars are at this level of Road Tax too …… my 2006 Honda Legend 3.5ltr last August was £700ish 

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links