Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

AC issues and AC service

Has anyone else noticed that AC gas needs replacing more often these days?  It doesn't seem to last more than a year or two, whereas older cars I had carried on for years without needing regassing.  I have a friend abroad with a 1997 Toyota Carina E that still has ice-cold AC which hasn't been regassed in ten years or more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

Has anyone else noticed that AC gas needs replacing more often these days?  It doesn't seem to last more than a year or two, whereas older cars I had carried on for years without needing regassing.  I have a friend abroad with a 1997 Toyota Carina E that still has ice-cold AC which hasn't been regassed in ten years or more.

There was a link posted earlier in this topic explaining the AC system, which is very good and well worth a read, includes a section 'How long does the refrigerant last?' in which a portion of it states this:

"A good rule of thumb would be to recharge a new car after no more than four years and then to recharge at three-year intervals. If you have a fairly recent car it may need recharging slightly more frequently now. Newer developments in AC technology are resulting in systems which are able to cool well with much less refrigerant than just a few years ago. In addition to this all new cars from 2008 are obliged by law to have very reduced natural losses. In spite of this it seems that if a car has only a small amount of refrigerant in the system, the loss of perhaps only 50 or 100 grams, a fairly small percentage, seems to have a serious effect on the performance of the cooling. As a result I am having to revise my thoughts - three year intervals may be fine for any car pre-2000 but for some cars built after 2000 it may be necessary to recharge every two years to keep the AC sufficiently effective especially if driving abroad."

• Like 1

When I bought my 94 Celsior in 2006 I took it for an AC check (it was blowing ice cold at the time) and was told there was no issue with it, I did however change the pollen filters.

16 years later I sold it and the AC was still working fine.

I think keeping it on all the time plays a major part in longevity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Does anyone else actually ever open their car windows in the UK one wonders 🤔

Malc 

Indeed some of us do, and when I had LS even opened sun roof. 

There is nothing more refreshing on a cold winters morning of opening the windows for a few seconds before letting the AC do its stuff.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

100% agree, I think the older systems last longer and throw in Toyota/Lexus quality (at least for the older models) and you get better longevity.

My view is, and it's only my view, it's worth having the AC checked out periodically and definitely checked out if it's a car that has just been purchased - if you are bothered about the AC.
Apart from checking if the AC blows ice cold/cold or not, how would you know if the correct amount of refrigerant is in the car and hasn't lost any? AC may still 'work' but it may be working harder than it should be.
Plus, there is a certain amount of oil that needs to be in the system to keep things lubricated.

Regarding simply opening the windows on the car, just to add as well it's Air 'Conditioning' not just Air Cooling.
The LS400 is a smooth, refined, quiet car, comfortable car, why would I want to open the windows and disturb the tranquility when a working AC system keeps the cabin at the desired temp/condition and doesn't disturb the tranquility 🙂

• Like 3

in some sort of summary …….. much older cars with aircon kept on permanently have a different “ quality “ of gas and gassing and might have good longevity  …… BUT being kept on permanently is quite essential 🤔

Later cars AC have different “ quality “ gas and possibly reduced longevity it seems 🤔

and often need lots of £££££££ spent to refurbish the AC system set-up …… or £99 a year ? On a check-up 

indeed my 91 Ls400 AC is permanently on and I can find no trace of ever re-gassing in the paperwork …… and it works fine 🤞🤞🤞….. and I open windows lots too 😄

My 95 car AC packed up very soon after I bought her in 2011’ish and I haven’t had it looked at as the prior owner had it all re-done/ gassed just before my purchase ……. I open windows ok …… I’d possibly be faced with a huge and uneconomic bill to fix  maybe …… greater than the cars worth possibly 🤔 

I can live with it all as-is 😄

Malc 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I also agree, based on experience, but I have never seen or heard objective evidence of it. Were such evidence to exist, I don’t know how popular it would be with technicians, dealers, manufacturers of maintenance products etc. Interestingly, if my memory serves me right, Lexus states in in its manuals that you can keep the AC on permanently if you like but does not go so far as to recommend you do so.  

I think some of you missed the cost - £190 not £99. I believe that was just for the foamy cleaner treatment! No mention of a top up.

The "work" I turned down came to £357.90

Just Air conditioning ant-bacterial cleanse was £185.02

Offside Front tyre 3mm thread - £171.08 wiper blades had to be done to pass the MOT.

Opinion: If I traded in my car and they put it on the forecourt, do you think they would do the aircon before selling?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I think some of you missed the cost - £190 not £99. I believe that was just for the foamy cleaner treatment! No mention of a top up.

I didn't miss the cost, maybe the £190 was for the 'foam stuff injected into the AC drain which cleans round the evaporator and internals' and the £99 Aircon service stuff I mentioned and they didn't fully explain what it included, just guessing.
It's bugging me now so I'll ring Lexus Bolton and find out🙂

It’s not just vehicle AC which has been affected by the “Ozone layer depletion” it’s also buildings AC or HVAC and refrigeration.

Everytime they come up with an “ environmentally friendly” refrigerant it turns out to be less efficient, has a shorter lifespan and costs more.

We have gone from R12 ( Freon) to R134a and now R1234yf.

When it comes to domestic refrigeration  R12 was replaced by Pentane, a highly inflammable liquid with poorer efficiency ( just look at the energy rating on these) resulting in longer sometimes near constant compressor running times using more electricity. Get a leak on the system and the outcome could be the same as a natural gas leak when you switch that light on!

• Sad 1

we’re all doomed doomed doomed ……. then   BANG  

I’ll keep opening windows just in case …… indoors too and suffer depleted ozone down me lungs 🥵. 🤣😂

🙏

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links