Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Seat height extension.

Glyn Jennings

I was hoping when I bought my SC two years ago my wife and I could go touring in it. Mr wife had a replacement knee and hip done a few years ago and has just had the other hip replaced a couple of months ago. She has only been in the car a couple of times because of the access.  The main issue is how low the seat is and because of this lifting her leg over the door sill is really painful. So I have often pondered if I could engineer some thing the would lower and raise the seat while still occupied over and above the existing range. i know their are professional mobility companies that offer solutions but they can cost thousands. I have seen this idea but i assume it doesn’t raise a person while in the seat so some eclectic or pneumatic lift would need to be made up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFP3TVD2?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_CDNRN10FH57EVYESE3TK

The other option if possible would be to modify the existing sear electric adjustable range to go higher.

Any thoughts other than to get a new wife or change the car would be appreciated.  You never know we could all have the same issue at some point.

57 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I was hoping when I bought my SC two years ago my wife and I could go touring in it. Mr wife had a replacement knee and hip done a few years ago and has just had the other hip replaced a couple of months ago. She has only been in the car a couple of times because of the access.  The main issue is how low the seat is and because of this lifting her leg over the door sill is really painful. So I have often pondered if I could engineer some thing the would lower and raise the seat while still occupied over and above the existing range. i know their are professional mobility companies that offer solutions but they can cost thousands. I have seen this idea but i assume it doesn’t raise a person while in the seat so some eclectic or pneumatic lift would need to be made up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFP3TVD2?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_CDNRN10FH57EVYESE3TK

The other option if possible would be to modify the existing sear electric adjustable range to go higher.

Any thoughts other than to get a new wife or change the car would be appreciated.  You never know we could all have the same issue at some point.

Glyn are you perhaps of a mechanical/engineering bent? You seem to be approaching the solution from that direction. Personally, I would say whatever you might achieve mechanically might be done more simply by using an existing cushion/pad solution ,or just popping down to your nearest upholster and getting him to tailor a seat pad to your wife's exact requirements. On a couple of occasions in the distant past I would come across a client who was vertically challenged and I would design some components of the installation to overcome that issue. That did not usually though entail modifying the 'guts' so much as working around the norm as it were. Just my most immediate thoughts on the issue.

• Like 1

This issue is if I just use a cushion that would be to high seat to roof even when in a the lowest position.  I think if it wasn’t a sports car where you sit low in the car compared the roof it wouldn't be an issue. You are probably right though in that I like modifying things to solve a problem. I did buy one of those swivel seat cushions so perhaps we may try that when she has fully recovered from her surgery. 

56 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

This issue is if I just use a cushion that would be to high seat to roof even when in a the lowest position.  I think if it wasn’t a sports car where you sit low in the car compared the roof it wouldn't be an issue. You are probably right though in that I like modifying things to solve a problem. I did buy one of those swivel seat cushions so perhaps we may try that when she has fully recovered from her surgery. 

Try it a different way. Find the adjustable height plus a pad to enable her to enter the car. Once in have a different setting in memory that at the push of a button lowers the seat electrically to whatever level suits her head height.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a red letter day for me.  As I previously have mentioned when I bought my car I always envisioned going on short drives or longer trips along with my wife.  Sadly for the last two years that hasn't been possible due to hip and knee issues.  It is now coming up 4 months now since she had her second hip replacement following a previous knee replacement and today she was able to get in and out of the SC without to much discomfort. Happy days 😊

Other news is I am not sure my replacement CTEK charger now 18 months old is on the blink. I may have to go with NOCO as a replacement.

Also my car cover which I have also been using for the last 18 month is now leaving dirty marks on the car so it is staying off at the moment. It would seem because it is breathable the dirt in rain has worked it's way down it to the soft inner lining. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Today was a red letter day for me.  As I previously have mentioned when I bought my car I always envisioned going on short drives or longer trips along with my wife.  Sadly for the last two years that hasn't been possible due to hip and knee issues.  It is now coming up 4 months now since she had her second hip replacement following a previous knee replacement and today she was able to get in and out of the SC without to much discomfort. Happy days 😊

Other news is I am not sure my replacement CTEK charger now 18 months old is on the blink. I may have to go with NOCO as a replacement.

Also my car cover which I have also been using for the last 18 month is now leaving dirty marks on the car so it is staying off at the moment. It would seem because it is breathable the dirt in rain has worked it's way down it to the soft inner lining. 

May the sun decide to stay a little longer this year and give you and your wife a bit more opportunity to enjoy driving out in the car.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

May the sun decide to stay a little longer this year and give you and your wife a bit more opportunity to enjoy driving out in the car.

Let’s hope so but I am not holding much expectation. Seems winter has arrived and definitely going to be roof up for a while.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links