Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Newish Member Now an Owner

Boomer54

10 hours ago, Bob King said:

Excellent work 👏🏻👏🏻

Now get those front radiator brackets painted 👍🏻

Yes Sir, double quick time Sir!

• Like 1

Not going with Blue on the brackets as I would need to get a made to order colour match. However, I do have an unopened tin of Hammerite Smooth Black straight to Rust ! I have had excellent longevity from this stuff in the past. First coat on now wait 4 hrs to do a second coat.

Whilst removing those brackets I looked down behind the grill. Hmmm, think I will drop the grill off then I can really get into the 'guts' back there.

22 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Not going with Blue on the brackets as I would need to get a made to order colour match. However, I do have an unopened tin of Hammerite Smooth Black straight to Rust ! I have had excellent longevity from this stuff in the past. First coat on now wait 4 hrs to do a second coat.

Whilst removing those brackets I looked down behind the grill. Hmmm, think I will drop the grill off then I can really get into the 'guts' back there.

Ok, brackets now done and back onboard as per pic.

Next this morning was grill off. Before and after pics.

Think that will do for under the bonnet right now. Need to get back onto my drivers seat leather. Fill,sand, dye etc.

Brackets.jpg

Before Grill.jpg

After grill.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Are you ever going to use this car again ?   Or just titivate incessantly. 🥳

Malc 

The car is a reflection of myself. Aging, but prestine...... 😍

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

The car is a reflection of myself. Aging, but prestine...... 😍

Seriously, I like doing this stuff as much as I enjoy driving it. Although roof down on a day like today takes some beating.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Bet roof down today is just 22222222 hot maybe 😄

Malc 

No , but I do put a cap on to preserve whatever I still have up top.

alias Mr Rumbold with ears hissing out all those evaporating gazzzes building up under your blue beret Capn Mannering  🤔

Malc 

• 2 weeks later...

All the carpets and mats have been cleaned to a fare thee well this week. Nice fluffy pile back down there (and the carpets look good as well). Basic shampoo, agitate, wet and dry vac followed by a hand steaming and a last wet and dry vac. Smells like Doreens Hair salon (sic).

• Haha 1

So ,she is back and whiffs a bit ! The Corrolan sealant smeared liberally all over her underside and every cavity imaginable contains Lanolin extracted from sheep. Apparently there are pictures of before, after prep and after completion ,but they have not yet been sent. Neither did I get a chance to see it on the ramp. Consequently, had it jacked up this morning to have a look see. God awful colour until it has cured. Actually looks the colour of Rust. Who thought that one up? Couple of pics I just took, but I won't post more than that. Looks awful. I understand in about 6 weeks it will darken. Roll on !.

Meanwhile, whilst it up let's do a little housework down there. Pics.

As an aside going back to an earlier conversation with Bob the tyres are 245 allround.

Yes, I did wipe off the streak of corrolan on the exhaust, but it shows you the colour (shudder).

Cleaned up the alloys inside whilst at it. Stripping the callipers to have a look see.

Under 2.jpg

arch.jpg

exhaust.jpg

calli.jpg

clean.jpg

tyre size.jpg

Honest open question, am I being unreasonable?

Here it is chronologically.

Booked undersealing.

Asked for pics on the works at critical points. Agreed.

Asked to see car post completion on ramp.

Collected car.

Car was off ramp. Good reasons for not putting it back up.

2 days after collection got invoice Net 30.

Asked for pics. No reply.

1 day later got text asking for payment.

Stated will pay when the pics received.

Got two very strange contentious texts basically telling me I am being unreasonable.

Facebook page Newsflash stating clients will now be required to make payment before collection due to recent clients not acting in good faith.

These days I know I am not as acute as I once was so I ask openly am I being unreasonable here ?

I did do a limited scoot under the car and yes I know something has been done without getting the full picture.

For clarity, I have paid a deposit at the time of booking, and if I can visually see what's been done is what I expected to be done then no problem.

At the moment I am a bit bemused. Is it me, or am I dealing with someone whose acting a bit strange?

I can feel your frustration..you asked for photo’s and they verbally agreed . Now if it got all legal and they demanded payment , if it’s not in writing about the photo’s there is not much you can do about it .

From your prospective you would not recommend the company to other people as they didn’t keep to their word.

From the photo’s you’ve posted it looks a messy job, with overspray on the engine underbelly pan…that would rattle me !

Me personally I would want to see under of the  car to insure the underside is fully covered correctly…if all done then time to pay up and move on 👍🏻

Had you a good rapport and used these guys before ? 

That would be my starting point before I decided next step ……… but meanwhile I’d check out availability of another ramp to have photos taken …… or if you’re allowed under that ramp, to take the piccys yourself 

How much £££  is involved btw ? 
Malc 

45 minutes ago, Bob King said:

I can feel your frustration..you asked for photo’s and they verbally agreed . Now if it got all legal and they demanded payment , if it’s not in writing about the photo’s there is not much you can do about it .

From your prospective you would not recommend the company to other people as they didn’t keep to their word.

From the photo’s you’ve posted it looks a messy job, with overspray on the engine underbelly pan…that would rattle me !

It is actually in writing. He actually says he will post them up, but it might be 1 to 2 weeks as he is busy. . Meanwhile, he has posted up 4 pics of jobs following mine complete with text. He's also texted me rather contentiously a couple of times. In other words I am thinking this chap says he is too busy to post half a dozen pics, but he has found more time than that to do other things. Hence, I am clearly wondering do I have any pics at all? How do I know what he has really done? Why is he pressing for a payment in 3 days when his invoice states 30 days Net?

To me this is all strange. I want to pay him. All he has to do is stop wasting time arguing with me and take the 5 mins max to post the pics so I know more clearly what's been done

Bob, thanks anyway. Just talking this through has made me sure this is not me being unreasonable. In summary, his invoice is 30 days. If he wants paying quickly he should find  5 mins and do what he contracted to do. If that does not happen I will take it into my Indy and get it on a ramp. After that matters will proceed depending on what is seen at that point. Payment, or complaint and clearly I don't know which at this point.

44 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I would pay up. He probably knows where you live.

Then he should also know I had my first boxing gloves at the age of 4.

12 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Had you a good rapport and used these guys before ? 

That would be my starting point before I decided next step ……… but meanwhile I’d check out availability of another ramp to have photos taken …… or if you’re allowed under that ramp, to take the piccys yourself 

How much £££  is involved btw ? 
Malc 

malc,

I don't know them beyond I had scrolled their facebook page of previous work and found nothing that gave off bad signals. From reading up on the Corrolan product it seemed to be a good choice for undersealing. They have also worked on one SC 430 before which helped boost my confidence a little (probably wrong to make anything of that). I have paid £100 as a deposit with a balance of £530 to come.

Having slept upon it my course of action is clear. He owes me the pics we agreed upon that validates the work done and is the barrier to his final payment. He has stated he will post them ,but might take a week, or two (who knows as he was not specific). Meanwhile his invoice is 30day net so we have time to do what should be done. The fact he is pressing for payment sooner than that is irrelevant .My Jag is due at my Indy on the 10th for MOT/Service. If the pics still have not arrived ,or fail to be what they should be then I will ask the Indy for a cost to book their ramp. I will take pics and ask them for their opinion. If it is all ok he gets paid without further delay less the cost of the ramp. If the Indy doesn't like what they see then I will ask them to do a report and what happens after that I won't know until that time. All dependent upon what is seen.

Frankly, I could really have done without this 'drama', but I will see it through.

• Like 2

you might find the Indy won't be insured to allow you under his ramp ........ he might have to take the piccys with your direction

Malc

I have just popped the bonnet and taken 2 pics down the front of the radiator to show the cross member that the radiator sits on. I cleaned this area off a couple of weeks back on 11th Aug as the pics in the thread show. and it showed some superficial rust. On undersealing would you expect this to have been treated, or is it an area that you would not do? If you look comparing the pics above and now below you will see I ask ,because the area has not been touched.

rust 1.jpg

rust.jpg

I think you are perhaps expecting a lot for what you paid.

I have a friend who underseals some quite exotic cars...is his only job. He looked under mine and thought most rust was very superficial. He could have done the job but would have been a big job, costing well north of £1000 to get into every nook and cranny. Would have involved removal of all superficial rust and then treatment with Dinitrol.

Did your quote involve rust removal or just spray treatment?

32 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I think you are perhaps expecting a lot for what you paid.

I have a friend who underseals some quite exotic cars...is his only job. He looked under mine and thought most rust was very superficial. He could have done the job but would have been a big job, costing well north of £1000 to get into every nook and cranny. Would have involved removal of all superficial rust and then treatment with Dinitrol.

Did your quote involve rust removal or just spray treatment?

Well, I don't set the price ,nor could i. The price is set by the business and what they the business does for that price is set by the conditions laid out by the business which I post below. I neither expect too much nor too little. I expect the contract. If the business sets the contract disadvantageously for themselves (price too low etc)  that is not  a matter for me indeed I probably wouldn't even know. I paid for the Full Underseal as laid out below.

Copy and paste.

"A few notes to explain exactly what we do to your vehicle and your consent to apply these

procedures to your vehicle

• High pressure steam clean to vehicle underside using fresh water, Rustbuster Chlor-X
salt removing solution / degreaser / traffic film Remover. We do not clean the engine.
• Manual drying via high volume low pressure warm air.
• Removal of plastic arch inner guards and front engine trays. Heat shields will not be
removed. Body styling panels to door bottoms, skirts, splitters wings or bumpers will not
be removed.
• Masking off of brakes, backing plates and hubs, these will not be coated in the
process.
• Removal of any layered rust and failing coatings back to a sound surface. Surface rust
will be treated with Rustbuster Fe-123. Our technicians will use their discretion in what
areas to convert and which areas to leave.
• Underbody coated with Corrolan Pure, this includes the suspension shock absorbers
springs, roll bars, axles and drive shafts, floor pan underside fuel tank and all brake
hoses. NB Engine gearbox and prop shafts on rear wheel drive vehicles are not coated
• We inject all cavities, sills, sub frames, chassis rails, outriggers, hollow suspension
components. On the full rust proofing service, we also treat Door pillars, doors boot and
bonnet seams and inject with Rustbuster Corrolan Penetrator and Corrolan Active. The
material will lay in the bottom of cavities and seams and a fog mist layer of wax will be
applied to all upper cavity areas.

• Cavity wax is injected via holes that already exist where possible or via holes drilled into
the vehicle chassis and bodywork, a 10 mm hole is drilled and plugged with a 10 mm
plug. Drain holes are left clear even when drilled by ourselves. Injection points are made
at our discretion.
• We will endeavour to remove any overspray from your vehicle before you collect. In the
event that you find some overspray that has not been removed it can be easily removed
with a soft cloth and white spirit, this will not harm the paintwork in any way."

If you wish to understand my reaction to this in any way you need know no more than I am all about the contract. Expectations, feel, hope anything of that nature has no place in a contract for me. Indeed, based upon long experience I will go further and say that when words like "trust", "Good Faith" are thrown about it is usually because someone as either screwed up the contract and wants to deflect from that ,or they don't want to be specific on the contract.

I imposed one variation on the above. I asked that the coil overs be masked and untreated which they were.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links