Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Newish Member Now an Owner

Boomer54

All looking very good 👍🏻… now you’ve got the hang of it next the wheel arch liners, then the engine under belly pan 😉

19 hours ago, Bob King said:

All looking very good 👍🏻… now you’ve got the hang of it next the wheel arch liners, then the engine under belly pan 😉

Hmm, suppose the clue as to where is in the words "wheel" and "arch". Do they need to come off to be done right?

Upon rereading I can see you were not suggesting I Perl the Bed Pan.

6 minutes ago, Bob King said:

I do the arch liners when going to car shows, just as far as you can reach without taking the wheels off.

So does that mean you don't do both sides?

🫣

Just now, Boomer54 said:

So does that mean you don't do both sides?

🫣

Just do what you can see, no one’s ever going to look other than at the next SC430 meeting 😉

13 hours ago, Bob King said:

Just do what you can see, no one’s ever going to look other than at the next SC430 meeting 😉

I am going to have to make my jokes less subtle.

Actually to do mine I will have to remove the wheels, because 20 inch alloys don't leave any room to get in.

9 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Should be no difference in rolling radius between 18 and 20. Back to mechanic school with you.

Don't think you understand my point. The alloys have filled the access space to the arch. I have one finger of space between the tyre and the arch at the point of access.

41 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I refer you to my previous post.

Maybe Bob can help?

Quick Google and I understand. My mistake. The size of the access to the wheel arch is I assume more to do with settings on my coilovers. Thanks for the heads up.

As a general rule with bigger diameter wheels, the tyre wall height is reduced to give the same rolling radius. So arch clearance each side of the wheel should be very similar to the original tyre.

Yes a lowered car would have less clearance between top of wheel and arch but I only had dress the arches each side..not at the top .

Below tyre calculator on 18 to 20" rims.

IMG_7362.png

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Bob King said:

As a general rule with bigger diameter wheels, the tyre wall height is reduced to give the same rolling radius. So arch clearance each side of the wheel should be very similar to the original tyre.

Yes a lowered car would have less clearance between top of wheel and arch but I only had dress the arches each side..not at the top .

Below tyre calculator on 18 to 20" rims.

IMG_7362.png

If the wheels are wider and offset less than standard this is also going to restrict access as the tyre will be closer to the wheel arch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

If the wheels are wider and offset less than standard this is also going to restrict access as the tyre will be closer to the wheel arch. 

30mm spacers on mine so think that is also a factor.

Funny what you learn when you were not even thinking about the issue when you started the conversation.

Bob,

So thinking this through tell me if I understand this correctly.

At first blush I had thought the extra size of the 20" alloy would reduce the clearance around the wheel arch. However, this is incorrect ,because to maintain the rolling radius of the wheel the tyre size is adjusted so that the overall circumference of the alloy/tyre remains the same. Hence, the clearance space is unaffected by alloy size?

The clearance is affected by the vertical setting selected on the coilover suspension which reduces clearance around the top of the radii ?

The use of spacers by offsetting the wheel reduces the clearance around the entire wheel arch horizontally as opposed to vertically as per the coilovers? In effect pushing the wheel outwards by the size of the spacer selected?

If correct this would account for a remark I saw on the Lexus dealers healthcheck noting some small abrasive marks to tyres and internal wheel arch which would suggest that for a small point in the past the settings were slightly off allowing contact between the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Bob,

So thinking this through tell me if I understand this correctly.

At first blush I had thought the extra size of the 20" alloy would reduce the clearance around the wheel arch. However, this is incorrect ,because to maintain the rolling radius of the wheel the tyre size is adjusted so that the overall circumference of the alloy/tyre remains the same. Hence, the clearance space is unaffected by alloy size?

The clearance is affected by the vertical setting selected on the coilover suspension which reduces clearance around the top of the radii ?

The use of spacers by offsetting the wheel reduces the clearance around the entire wheel arch horizontally as opposed to vertically as per the coilovers? In effect pushing the wheel outwards by the size of the spacer selected?

If correct this would account for a remark I saw on the Lexus dealers healthcheck noting some small abrasive marks to tyres and internal wheel arch which would suggest that for a small point in the past the settings were slightly off allowing contact between the two.

Excellent you understood everything I typed, I don’t alway make sense with my text but obviously I came across very well there 👏🏻👏🏻

Do you know what tyre size you have fitted ?

..and wheel spacers can cause the odd tyre rub on the arch liners or metal wheel arch on full suspension compression …example a Dukes of Hazzard style landing after going over a hump back bridge 😉😉

4 minutes ago, Bob King said:

Excellent you understood everything I typed, I don’t alway make sense with my text but obviously I came across very well there 👏🏻👏🏻

Do you know what tyre size you have fitted ?

..and wheel spacers can cause the odd tyre rub on the arch liners or metal wheel arch on full suspension compression …example a Dukes of Hazzard style landing after going over a hump back bridge 😉😉

I see the contact could actually occur when the coilovers absorbs the impact of the road, but presumably only if the clearance was set too close and did not take into account that kind of movement. I suspect this where experience comes in. An almost fine art of understanding how to fine tune the positioning to account for all the factors in play to avoid such an outcome.

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

Staggered wheels? Wider at back?

I had rubbing on my pimp wheels on GS450h.

Screenshot_20240804-091429.jpeg

"Pimp wheels" promoting friction. Joke to be found in there somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Just got my Autoglym Engine Degreaser to use prior to applying Mr Perl to the engine area. Let you know how it rates.

Stephen, you’re now a fully qualified 2  3rds pie R Skwared knowledgable aficionado BUT don’t drink too much of that AED - Perl ……. before lunch 😄

Hope it all works for you, fires U up 

Malc 

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Stephen, you’re now a fully qualified 2  3rds pie R Skwared knowledgable aficionado BUT don’t drink too much of that AED - Perl ……. before lunch 😄

Hope it all works for you, fires U up 

Malc 

You don't have to hope. Here it is. Unfortunately, took the pics before I realised some water had pooled in a couple of places. Vacced out with my wet & dry and now nearly there under the bonnet. Next step is to remove the two rusty brackets and repaint them. Funny thing is I had thought they were Black. Cleaned up all was revealed. They are/were Blue ! Needless to say I will be redoing them in.....BLUE.

engine 3.jpg

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

Engine.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links