Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

lexus is300h base model (SE variant)

I am considering buying a used lexus is300h 2015 base model (SE variant) with 140000 kms on it. It does seems to have parking sensors. Any comments on whether this is a reasonable buy? any way to add parking sensors without drilling the body?

1 hour ago, jjohn said:

It does seems to have parking sensors. Any comments on whether this is a reasonable buy? any way to add parking sensors without drilling the body?

Sorry trying to understand it has parking sensors or it doesnt?

For fitting aftermarket sensors you have to drill the bumpers to insert the sensors & wiring you just tap into the reverse bulb light circuit/wiring. Alternatively you dont need sensors if reverse parking camera is fitted it will do the same job (ok in the rain it can get tricky if covered)

As for your question is it a reasonable buy thats a tough one to answer without any further info pictures, evidence of service history HPI clear etc.

Overall mechanically the IS300H has proved to be reliable. Having owned mine for 2-3 years can safely say very robust cars.

Niggles like squeaking brakes due to lack of use or corrosion a good strip down & regrease the pins usually sorts this out, hybrid filter fan & filter need servicing note Lexus do not do that in the Hybrid health check, dying 12v batteries simply due to lack of use, reports of inner tyre wear, soft paint chipping bodywork, smelly air con etc not necesarily deemed as major faults just lack of maintenance is what contributes to some of this which does not help. 

3 hours ago, jjohn said:

I am considering buying a used lexus is300h 2015 base model (SE variant) with 140000 kms on it. It does seems to have parking sensors. Any comments on whether this is a reasonable buy? any way to add parking sensors without drilling the body?

How much are you paying for it? Whether it is a reasonable buy or not depends on how much youre paying for it. 

One good thing about the SE is cheaper tyres (205/55/16 which is what all IS300H should have anyway)

One negative thing is you lose the ability to fold the rear seats for extra luggage ... think about it.

Additionally, thye say the SE sounds sytem isn't that good but I havent listened to one myself so I dunno...

On 7/22/2023 at 6:21 PM, jjohn said:

Your location is down as Sutherland (so I assume you are UK based) but you are looking at a car with 140,000 km on it? - if you are looking to take advantage of the Lexus Service Activated Warranty that can cover the car to 10 years old / 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) - as 140,000km is about 87,000 miles, did you actually mean to type km or miles - this could have a significant difference on price and future risk.

Attached is the IS 300h brochure from circa 2016. The SE did not have parking sensors as standard and it was quite basic in equipment levels (including no split folding rear seats as mentioned already and this could not be added as an option, and for some strange reason no tow bar can be fitted, which it can in other trim levels). There were a limited number of items that were optional, but many of the missing features over other trim levels could not be added, optional upgrades were:

- upgrade to leather seats (manual operation still)

- add navigation (standard not premium)

- add parking pack, front and rear parking sensors

Depending on your needs therefore, although all IS 300h have the same drive train and therefore performance, I would have a good think about whether the SE has the features you want in it and have a look at whether any of the above factory options were added. The SE does tend to be a reasonable amount cheaper than other trims due to the lack of features. There are quite a few IS 300h available in various (higher then SE) trim levels and of different age/mileage in the dealer network to choose from.

Lexus IS.pdf

Impossible to answer the question as you have not stated the price, nor condition and if it is not UK car, then again it will be very difficult for most of the people around here to advise as used car prices in different countries vary a lot. As for 140k kilometres itself - again that is not really an indicator of anything, if it was taxi or rental then it will be trashed, but if it was privately owned, routinely maintained and driven on longer journeys it may be almost as good as new. 140k in itself is not much for Lexus and if well maintained they can go double or even triple that distance without issue. 

Obviously, Lexus IS300h SE is once of the lowest trim options and in my personal opinion - so poorly equipped that I would question if it is even worth getting Lexus at this point. Perhaps better trim option of Toyota would be wiser purchase i.e. you paying premium to have a badge, but getting no benefits due to low spec. Perhaps similar year, but higher trim Mazda, Toyota or Honda would have better options for less money?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links