Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

MOT common failures any known issues

The Car is fast approaching 10 Years.

What are the common MOT failures on the IS300H?

Do any of you bother with pre-checks before taking it in for the test to reduce failure or advisories, appreciate preventative maintenance is the key but is there anything that comes up regular?

Pre-check list I do before taking it in if it helps anybody:

- Windscreen wipers & top up fluid

- Check condition of brake disc & pads if obvious (lip on disc/rust & low brake pads) replace

- Handbrake test & adjust brake shoes as necessary 

- Headlights, brake light bulbs & indicators

- Set correct Tyre pressure varies on different models if I recall the F Sport is around (36PSI)  & tyre wear ideally more than 3mm or legally >1.6mm. Look out for cracked tyres/damaged sidewalls.

- No warning lights i.e check engine light/tyre pressure warning

- Clean brake pipes/fuel lines to prevent corrosion usually after winter

- Suspension test any obvious knocks or leaking shock absorbers/broken springs/control arms drop links/ball joints/steering rack play/rough wheel bearings-  replace as necessary. Generally worn bushes or play in the wheels can be detected by using a pry bar under each wheel and checking for freeplay and spinning the wheel listening for any noises etc

- Service before or after Test (address any oil leaks etc)

- Seat belt condition & test buckle

- Registration plate clear to read & not loose

- Check Mirror security & no cracks + windscreen for cracks/chips

- Inspect General underbody for corrosion and bodywork no loose panels

- Presenting a clean washed & *vac car leaves the impression you look after the car im sure an MOT tester will have a few stories to tell.

Appreciate this is not the comprehensive list but every little helps if you have a driveway & accesss to ramps/axle stands your not in for a shock or big bills when it comes MOT time. & of course a friendly MOT tester helps. 

In the UK council MOT testers are recommended as they are only there to do the Test, they dont have interest in repairs as they dont undertake corrective work no financial gain in comparison to certain dealerships/garages that will deem anything as a defect to bring in revenue. 

Good to hear your thoughts.... 

For reference the official check list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-checklist-vt-29

I have to say MOTs are simply no issues in our IS300H. I've gone to 2 yearly oil changes in ours, the oil level never changes. Still on original 12V Battery even at coming up to 9 years old!! 

The other day my wife got worried as she heard an 'odd noise' when cornering, turned out the tire inflator kept in the boot had come loose from the holding strap and was rolling around in the boot :).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

I have to say MOTs are simply no issues in our IS300H. I've gone to 2 yearly oil changes in ours, the oil level never changes. Still on original 12V battery even at coming up to 9 years old!! 

The other day my wife got worried as she heard an 'odd noise' when cornering, turned out the tire inflator kept in the boot had come loose from the holding strap and was rolling around in the boot :).

Impressive motors cant really fault them is why im Curious to understand if there are any common issues if any.

re the point of 2 yearly oil changes I get it but I dont think it will do your engine good though, especially if its only being used on short journeys. (Its a very debatable subject).

As the saying goes "Oil is cheap engines are not!" :wink3:

According to Manufacturers recommendation its 12 months or 10k which ever comes first. The heat up cycles/condensation is what deteriorates the oil loosing its effectivness or properties. Dont go by the colour of the oil either for example diesel engine oil turns dark within 500 miles but is still good, petrol engines run cleaner but colour is not an indicator.

Watch carcarenut channel on youtube he is a Toyota/Lexus master tech/guru & swears by 5k oil changes for long term reliability to reduce oil burning as the mileage builds up if you plan on owning the car a long time. 

8 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

The Car is fast approaching 10 Years.

Do any of you bother with pre-checks before taking it in for the test to reduce failure or advisories, appreciate preventative maintenance is the key but is there anything that comes up regular?

Pre-check list I do before taking it in if it helps anybody:

- Windscreen wipers & top up fluid

- Check condition of brake disc & pads if obvious (lip on disc/rust & low brake pads) replace

- Handbrake test & adjust brake shoes as necessary 

- Headlights, brake light bulbs & indicators

- Set correct Tyre pressure varies on different models if I recall the F Sport is around (36PSI)  & tyre wear ideally more than 3mm or legally >1.6mm. Look out for cracked tyres/damaged sidewalls.

- No warning lights i.e check engine light/tyre pressure warning

- Clean brake pipes/fuel lines to prevent corrosion usually after winter

- Suspension test any obvious knocks or leaking shock absorbers/broken springs/control arms drop links/ball joints/steering rack play/rough wheel bearings-  replace as necessary. Generally worn bushes or play in the wheels can be detected by using a pry bar under each wheel and checking for freeplay and spinning the wheel listening for any noises etc

- Service before or after Test (address any oil leaks etc)

- Seat belt condition & test buckle

- Registration plate clear to read & not loose

- Check Mirror security & no cracks + windscreen for cracks/chips

- Inspect General underbody for corrosion and bodywork no loose panels

- Presenting a clean washed & *vac car leaves the impression you look after the car im sure an MOT tester will have a few stories to tell.

Appreciate this is not the comprehensive list but every little helps if you have a driveway & accesss to ramps/axle stands your not in for a shock or big bills when it comes MOT time. & of course a friendly MOT tester helps. 

In the UK council MOT testers are recommended as they are only there to do the Test, they dont have interest in repairs as they dont undertake corrective work no financial gain in comparison to certain dealerships/garages that will deem anything as a defect to bring in revenue. 

Good to hear your thoughts.... 

For reference the official check list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-checklist-vt-29

My IS 300h is coming up for 9 years old in September and has currently covered 134k miles. I've taken mine to Lexus for the 5 MoTs to date and not had so much as an advisory yet. Some MoTs coincided with a service but others didn't (as do about 15k miles per annum) and so just did the obvious checks beforehand in those cases. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IS300FSPORT said:

I wouldn't say there are any common issues. Certainly no common corrosion issues (not yet as least). The only thing that could be considered a weakness is rear brake disc corrosion from seized callipers due to the lack of mechanical braking because the hybrid system is doing most of the work. Otherwise it is owners not taking care/correcting issues as they arise so the normal tyres, wiper blades, suspension issue failures.

• Thanks 1

My old N54 335i BMW use to dump oil on the garage floor for no reason. Injectors failed regularly, turbos were always ropey.

That engine needed oil changes, and lots of it. But that was because it was tunned to run at 380whp (so over 400bhp at the crank) on a very aggressive timing, and even with addtional cooling would go into 'limp mode' due to overheating after consistent WOT runs.

The IS300H is a different matter, I cannot remember we went WOT in it. The IS300H simply is far less stressed. We've owned the IS from new, and at 8 years old it's given zero issues and I suspect it'll still be going strong at 18 years old even if I stopped doing any oil changes!!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links