Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Programme new key fob

On 4/15/2023 at 6:47 AM, ianhu said:

Please bare in mind the 'ebay sold techstream and supplied cable' cannot.code you a new key. You need a proper Vcx cable for that. I know from experience. Bought a used key off ebay tried and tried and failed and failed. Got proper cable and coded first time. 

Others may have had similar or success with the cut down cheaper cable and it would be interesting to know. 

Regards 

Hey mate. Would you mind sharing how you managed to program a used key?

I have a used key, vxdiag cable and techstream, but unable to program the used key I have (same part number etc as my original).  

dave

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:14 AM, Linas.P said:

Well that is your problem right here... Techstream can't programme used keys, it can only program "virgin keys"... so the reason you need proper dealership computer is not to register the key, it is to actually re-set it. Now according to dealers - they can't do it either (even if they actually can), so they will always offer you a new key for £600. Key being ~£450 and the rest for the programming. They as well won't program the key you bright in.

Contact any car lock-smiths, they will be able to program key for you (they basically have more potent version of software which can reset the used keys), but it won't be much cheaper... I reckon £80 if you lucky, but many will ask for £150. The only difference is that they will be quite happy to take key you already have and won't force you to buy brand new one for £450. 

Hi mate. You wouldn’t happen to know how to virginise a used key would you?

dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davus said:

Hi mate. You wouldn’t happen to know how to virginise a used key would you?

No and to be honest there is no guaranteed legitimate way of doing it. Basically, it is kind of hack, sometimes it works, but nobody can say how long it will work. Lexus themselves cannot do it, so it is basically aftermarket tools and insider knowledge, not dissimilar to how thieves does it (if you think about lock-smith is basically a paid thief).

I do know that such services are available and I know it is possible to do, but to be fair I have never researched what tools are required and how exactly it is done as it basically has limited utility. Obviously, if somebody is in the trade i.e. lock-smith then it makes sense for them to have this option. 

4 hours ago, Davus said:

Hey mate. Would you mind sharing how you managed to program a used key?

I have a used key, vxdiag cable and techstream, but unable to program the used key I have (same part number etc as my original).  

That is kind of to the same point - you can't program the used keys. 

@Davus yes there are ways to wipe the key and blank: you have to check. There was a place in east London that does it and can blank and reprogram/ I looked into this alot and it’s possible: I ended up just getting a new fob:

make some phone calls call your local Lexus. If it’s the same key fob it’s doable but expensive/ 

7 hours ago, Johnlex said:

@Davus yes there are ways to wipe the key and blank: you have to check. There was a place in east London that does it and can blank and reprogram/ I looked into this alot and it’s possible: I ended up just getting a new fob:

make some phone calls call your local Lexus. If it’s the same key fob it’s doable but expensive/ 

If i could figure out how to virginise a key, i would be good to go. The internet is a resourceful place, theres gotta be someone out there with a way of doing it. 

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is kind of to the same point - you can't program the used keys. 

Actually you can program used keys, but the process only works on north american delivered models. TechStream allows you to do a full smart code reset (wiping all keys) back to virgin. You can then get an unlock key for the smartbox, and re-add the "used" keys. 

Unfortunately though the TechStream option to reset the smart codes fully doesnt work. 

I'm even happy to pull apart the smartbox and desolder eeprom's to read / write them as required (the same way you can virginise an older IS200 ECU to accept keys) - but Lexus upped their game with the security in the IS250, so that's proving a LOT harder than with the IS200/300.

Again im sure someone knows how to do it, its just a matter of finding the right person. 

10 hours ago, Johnlex said:

@Davus go to any Lexus dealership well 2 near me one was £60 other was £75 and another £90 all including vat. AA can Do it too. 

Unfortunately Lexus want about $450 for a new OEM key. Im a bit too stingy (and inquisitive) for that.

8 hours ago, Davus said:

Unfortunately Lexus want about $450 for a new OEM key. Im a bit too stingy (and inquisitive) for that.

That is exactly how much it costs... little bit more in UK actually. Just bear in mind that used keys attached can stop working at any time. I would definitely use them for a spare if there is a need, but I would be very worried to drive car for longer trip with such key as it may leave you stranded. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links