Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A question from a potential buyer of an RC 300...

Hi,

I've not yet splashed out on a second-hand RC 300, but I can't find a sub-forum for the RCs, so I'll post in this one seeing as I believe they're essentially the same car - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Question - If I do make a purchase I would like a 3M wrap by one of their authorised wrappers. Does anyone know approxiamately how much it'll cost please? I'm told the colour I want needs to be specially made as it's not a conventional colour. 

Also, what are your thoughts on the RC300? Is the Levinson stereo upgrade worth it or does the standard Pioneer do the job? Any other recommended extras worth looking out for? How often do you change the oil? The Car Care Nut (Illinois-based Iraqi mechanic on YouTube) confirms Toyota /  Lexus are the way to go! I'm sure you guys agree. 

Incidentally, I plan on keeping it as long as my current eighteen-year-old (72K miles) Renault Megane; I'm pretty caring when it comes to looking after my cars. 

Thanks in advance. Pic of a beautiful RC 300 below. 

Whoops! Just found the RC sub-forum, how do I move it please? 

Screenshot (427).png

Edited by Euroskank
  • Like 1

Now that you’ve found the RC forum, Euan, I suggest you spend some time exploring the many past threads in the certainty of finding answers to most your questions as well as many more.  I don’t recall any threads about 3M wrapping though.

• Thanks 1

I've not heard the standard/Pioneer stereo ,but have the ML system in my RC and confirm it is absolutely superb.

I don't know what your budget is,but you should try to get the facelifted version--very late 2019 onwards.That will have Android Auto and apple whatever.

As for wrapping,I would have thought you should be asking "Wrapper".

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Now that you’ve found the RC forum, Euan, I suggest you spend some time exploring the many past threads in the certainty of finding answers to most your questions as well as many more.  I don’t recall any threads about 3M wrapping though.

Thanks, Rabbers, I intend to over the next coming months. 

11 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Pioneer stereo can be good or "normal". MarkLevinson can only be from really good to fantastic. Like music? ML!

I'm a big music-head so ML it shall be. Thanks. 

ML is definitely superior to the standard audio. A facelift model has extra toys as standard and a slightly tweaked hybrid control which I found an improvement over the original setup.

Personally I think it a shame to cover the fantastic (expensive) 5 stage paint finish so perhaps look for a standard black finish?

Also double check with insurance that they will cover (pun intended 😉) the wrap as many now will not entertain the added expense of repair 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DavidCM said:

I've not heard the standard/Pioneer stereo ,but have the ML system in my RC and confirm it is absolutely superb.

I don't know what your budget is,but you should try to get the facelifted version--very late 2019 onwards.That will have Android Auto and Apple whatever.

As for wrapping,I would have thought you should be asking "Wrapper".

Thanks, looks like the Takumi package has the sunroof and stereo options I want. Also, I like the grill on the later versions.

I did aproach one 3M-authorised wrapper, but they quoted £3.9K! 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

ML is definitely superior to the standard audio. A facelift model has extra toys as standard and a slightly tweaked hybrid control which I found an improvement over the original setup.

Personally I think it a shame to cover the fantastic (expensive) 5 stage paint finish so perhaps look for a standard black finish?

Also double check with insurance that they will cover (pun intended 😉) the wrap as many now will not entertain the added expense of repair 

Thanks, I hadn't thought about any insurance implications, but that's a good point you raise. I really like the sonic red to be honest, but prefer this other colour.

Prices of used vehicles are coming down I think, but I may be paying just a grand less than a brand new - albeit basic - ES 300H! 

On 4/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Euroskank said:

Hi,

I've not yet splashed out on a second-hand RC 300, but I can't find a sub-forum for the RCs, so I'll post in this one seeing as I believe they're essentially the same car - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Question - If I do make a purchase I would like a 3M wrap by one of their authorised wrappers. Does anyone know approxiamately how much it'll cost please? I'm told the colour I want needs to be specially made as it's not a conventional colour. 

Also, what are your thoughts on the RC300? Is the Levinson stereo upgrade worth it or does the standard Pioneer do the job? Any other recommended extras worth looking out for? How often do you change the oil? The Car Care Nut (Illinois-based Iraqi mechanic on YouTube) confirms Toyota /  Lexus are the way to go! I'm sure you guys agree. 

Incidentally, I plan on keeping it as long as my current eighteen-year-old (72K miles) Renault Megane; I'm pretty caring when it comes to looking after my cars. 

Thanks in advance. Pic of a beautiful RC 300 below. 

Whoops! Just found the RC sub-forum, how do I move it please? 

Screenshot (427).png

Wrap jobs nowadays cost ridiculous money, so I would not even want to guess - a £1000, maybe £2000... perhaps a little bit cheaper up-north. 

ML is great, but Pioneer "Premium" system is good enough -honestly little difference between the two. Pioneer will do 90% of what ML does, but ML has an edge especially when clarity is concerned, that said if you want ML to sound good you need good source for the music. Playing some MP3 from the phone actually going to sound worse on ML as it will simply reproduce and highlight all the problems. Whatever you do don't get poverty-line standard 6-system as that one is horrible, it is basically on par with what you would have found in 20 years old Ford Fiesta and I really don't know how it passed the requirements to be fitted to Lexus. In pre-facelift cars the standard system can be identified by rotary dial (Premium/ML has like a laptop mousepad), not sure if there is visual way of telling Premium/Standard in Facelifted cars, but ML would be marked on both rear windows sill speakers and in the centre-bottom of centre console. 

As for oil change - I would assume you use Lexus dealerships until it turns 10, because that is the only way to keep it under warranty (and to be fair you definitely want to keep it that way as when my driver seat failed the warranty forked-out £4,200 for repairs). As such for oil service just follow annual service schedule or 10k miles, whichever is sooner. I personally think 10k miles is a bit much, so on normal petrol car I would change oil every 6k miles, but I reckon on hybrid it is less relevant. 

Options depends on what year car you looking to get.

Pre-facelift 2016 - ~2019 (there were some cars in mid-2018 that got LSS+, but no facelift) you basically had 3 trims - "Luxury" (the worst), F-Sport which got F-Sport dials standard (which I would get if I were you) and Sunroof, ML and Protection pack as options or Premier which had ML standard, sunroof, radar cruise control and protection pact as an options, but you could not get it with F-Sport dials. All the rest were standard.

From ~mid-2018 all cars are fitted with LSS+, but facelift really started in 2019. LSS+ gives you radar cruise control, pre-crash safety, lane assists (on top of lane departure warning), rear-cross traffic and blind spot monitoring. Sunroof remained as an option on all cars, but trims got called differently - "Luxury" got dropped (because it became synonymous with poverty-line, but I continue to call it Luxury as it basically retained all trim options and just got LSS+), F-Sport, F-Sport+Takumi and Takumi. I think maybe F-Sport + Takumi got ML and sunroof as standard something strange like that. I guess notable omissions pre-face lift F-Sport could not get radar cruise, but Premier could not get digital dials. Post-facelift F-Sport get's everything and Takumi really only get's some wood inlays, but still no digital dash. Otherwise there were very little that you can actually choose - ML, Premium-Audio and Sunroof were the only real options. So called "protection pack" gives you mud-flaps (which are kind of needed), rubber floormats and boot-cover and metal boot lip scuff-plate (maybe as well door handle clear film protector)... either way "protection-pack" can be retrofitted after the purchase.

As I mentioned there is in between model for early 2018 which got LSS+ and new infotainment screen, but kept exterior of pre-facelift. There is one listed as "F-Sport + Premier Pack", but in fact there was no such thing... so this is just normal F-Sport in that strange in-between facelift period spec. 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, Euroskank said:

Thanks, looks like the Takumi package has the sunroof and stereo options I want. Also, I like the grill on the later versions.

The grille is the same shape and didn't change between pre and post face-lift, only headlights, mirrors and taillights (and larger infotainment screen)... however Lexus did some funny mix-up. On pre face-lift "Luxury" and Premier has more basic grille, whereas F-Sport had large grille... on face-lifted cars Takumi and "Luxury" got old F-Sport grille and F-sport got new slightly different grille with vents on the side. As well Takumi got old F-Sport wheels design and F-Sport again got new wheel design. I guess when I say grilles are the same - they are the same overall shape and size and only the type of mesh and some details are different. 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, Euroskank said:

Prices of used vehicles are coming down I think, but I may be paying just a grand less than a brand new - albeit basic - ES 300H! 

ES is very different car from RC, FWD, based on Toyota Avalon and in my opinion significant drop in terms of built quality/materials and driving dynamics. It is fair to say ES300h got updated version of the engine and is more efficient/more responsive, but that is the only positive. As well when it comes to prices I personally consider them crazy nowadays. In 2019 I bought 2017 RC for £15,500 - that was 2 years 10 month old car with 55k miles. Similar car now (basically 2021, late 2020) costs double of that. In 2016 I bought 2008 IS250 with a bit of miles (120k) for £4000... similar car now (~2015 IS/RC) would cost 4 times the price. I mean sure inflation is a thing, but I don't believe there was 400% of inflation between 2016 and now... So they really need to start come down quite a bit before the become reasonable again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 12:16 AM, Linas.P said:

Wrap jobs nowadays cost ridiculous money, so I would not even want to guess - a £1000, maybe £2000... perhaps a little bit cheaper up-north. 

ML is great, but Pioneer "Premium" system is good enough -honestly little difference between the two. Pioneer will do 90% of what ML does, but ML has an edge especially when clarity is concerned, that said if you want ML to sound good you need good source for the music. Playing some MP3 from the phone actually going to sound worse on ML as it will simply reproduce and highlight all the problems. Whatever you do don't get poverty-line standard 6-system as that one is horrible, it is basically on par with what you would have found in 20 years old Ford Fiesta and I really don't know how it passed the requirements to be fitted to Lexus. In pre-facelift cars the standard system can be identified by rotary dial (Premium/ML has like a laptop mousepad), not sure if there is visual way of telling Premium/Standard in Facelifted cars, but ML would be marked on both rear windows sill speakers and in the centre-bottom of centre console. 

As for oil change - I would assume you use Lexus dealerships until it turns 10, because that is the only way to keep it under warranty (and to be fair you definitely want to keep it that way as when my driver seat failed the warranty forked-out £4,200 for repairs). As such for oil service just follow annual service schedule or 10k miles, whichever is sooner. I personally think 10k miles is a bit much, so on normal petrol car I would change oil every 6k miles, but I reckon on hybrid it is less relevant. 

Options depends on what year car you looking to get.

Pre-facelift 2016 - ~2019 (there were some cars in mid-2018 that got LSS+, but no facelift) you basically had 3 trims - "Luxury" (the worst), F-Sport which got F-Sport dials standard (which I would get if I were you) and Sunroof, ML and Protection pack as options or Premier which had ML standard, sunroof, radar cruise control and protection pact as an options, but you could not get it with F-Sport dials. All the rest were standard.

From ~mid-2018 all cars are fitted with LSS+, but facelift really started in 2019. LSS+ gives you radar cruise control, pre-crash safety, lane assists (on top of lane departure warning), rear-cross traffic and blind spot monitoring. Sunroof remained as an option on all cars, but trims got called differently - "Luxury" got dropped (because it became synonymous with poverty-line, but I continue to call it Luxury as it basically retained all trim options and just got LSS+), F-Sport, F-Sport+Takumi and Takumi. I think maybe F-Sport + Takumi got ML and sunroof as standard something strange like that. I guess notable omissions pre-face lift F-Sport could not get radar cruise, but Premier could not get digital dials. Post-facelift F-Sport get's everything and Takumi really only get's some wood inlays, but still no digital dash. Otherwise there were very little that you can actually choose - ML, Premium-Audio and Sunroof were the only real options. So called "protection pack" gives you mud-flaps (which are kind of needed), rubber floormats and boot-cover and metal boot lip scuff-plate (maybe as well door handle clear film protector)... either way "protection-pack" can be retrofitted after the purchase.

As I mentioned there is in between model for early 2018 which got LSS+ and new infotainment screen, but kept exterior of pre-facelift. There is one listed as "F-Sport + Premier Pack", but in fact there was no such thing... so this is just normal F-Sport in that strange in-between facelift period spec. 

The grille is the same shape and didn't change between pre and post face-lift, only headlights, mirrors and taillights (and larger infotainment screen)... however Lexus did some funny mix-up. On pre face-lift "Luxury" and Premier has more basic grille, whereas F-Sport had large grille... on face-lifted cars Takumi and "Luxury" got old F-Sport grille and F-sport got new slightly different grille with vents on the side. As well Takumi got old F-Sport wheels design and F-Sport again got new wheel design. I guess when I say grilles are the same - they are the same overall shape and size and only the type of mesh and some details are different. 

ES is very different car from RC, FWD, based on Toyota Avalon and in my opinion significant drop in terms of built quality/materials and driving dynamics. It is fair to say ES300h got updated version of the engine and is more efficient/more responsive, but that is the only positive. As well when it comes to prices I personally consider them crazy nowadays. In 2019 I bought 2017 RC for £15,500 - that was 2 years 10 month old car with 55k miles. Similar car now (basically 2021, late 2020) costs double of that. In 2016 I bought 2008 IS250 with a bit of miles (120k) for £4000... similar car now (~2015 IS/RC) would cost 4 times the price. I mean sure inflation is a thing, but I don't believe there was 400% of inflation between 2016 and now... So they really need to start come down quite a bit before the become reasonable again.

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, Linas. 

I'm getting quoted about £3K to £4K for a custom 3M, but as a previous member mentioned I'll have to bear in mind any insurance implications. I never thought of that!

I'm a keen music listener (FLAC and 320 kbps min.) and plan to keep the car for many years so I will probably invest in the premium stereo, thanks. Strange that they - until very recently - shipped with CD players - I haven't used mine in years! I hear many criticisms of the mousepad.

Yes, I agree with the oil changes and would prefer to change about every 6K as I usually do only short journeys, but perhaps it's not as necessary on hybrids. 

I think the sweet spot in terms of value is three to five-year-old vehicles, and I'd probably prefer the large grille with the safety-orientated options and bigger screen you mentioned. I'd also prefer rubber mats from a practicality perspective, but carpet mats will provide better acoustics. I do recall seeing one mesh style that I preferred. 

Yes, the prices seem insane still. I guess I'll have to keep driving my Renault until the right RC comes along. I'm in no rush. 

10 hours ago, Euroskank said:
Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, Linas. 

I'm getting quoted about £3K to £4K for a custom 3M, but as a previous member mentioned I'll have to bear in mind any insurance implications. I never thought of that!

I'm a keen music listener (FLAC and 320 kbps min.) and plan to keep the car for many years so I will probably invest in the premium stereo, thanks. Strange that they - until very recently - shipped with CD players - I haven't used mine in years! I hear many criticisms of the mousepad.

Yes, I agree with the oil changes and would prefer to change about every 6K as I usually do only short journeys, but perhaps it's not as necessary on hybrids. 

I think the sweet spot in terms of value is three to five-year-old vehicles, and I'd probably prefer the large grille with the safety-orientated options and bigger screen you mentioned. I'd also prefer rubber mats from a practicality perspective, but carpet mats will provide better acoustics. I do recall seeing one mesh style that I preferred. 

Yes, the prices seem insane still. I guess I'll have to keep driving my Renault until the right RC comes along. I'm in no rush. 

No problem.

Regarding insurance it really depends - so first of all you need to read your terms and conditions. I doubt wrap would invalidate your insurance, some people speculated about it (honestly people too scared about retarded British insurers), but it is not "modification" and will never be. It is no different from having your car repainted - would insurance care if it is same colour? NO. However it is true that insurance WILL NOT cover the wrap, unless you specifically mention it and have agreed price on your quote, so when it costs £4k it isn't ideal (same as they would not cover £10k paintjob). So when it comes to insurance I would not worry too much about it, if you had a crash, then I doubt the wrap coverage will be at the top of your worries, but with current prices I don't think wrapping the car makes sense anyway. 

3-5 year old cars used to be sweet spot - I paid £15,500 form nearly 3 years old RC in 2019, but I don't think it is true anymore.

• Like 1

Do not wrap it. No-one will want it afterwards. They also look a bit "chavy"

I had a Megane 2.0 dci convertible in France and was very impressed with it until after 5 yrs the electrics went to pot. Got banned for speeding in that one, it was a bit nippy.

Anyway all this cosmetic entertainment Takumi Tacoma Taco stuff is irrelevant; all you need is the RcF. Forget the pretenders. Get a grip.

Ekanoo racing RCF: worlds fastest doorslammer - ElmerRacing.com

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Euroskank said:

When you say ‘wrap’ I wonder if you’re referring to an extreme colour or design - as opposed to a Paint Protection Film?

To clarify, I attach the web page of the local company that detailed my car.  They do a lot of PPF (although not on mine!) and it does offer a lot of benefits over the.normal paint finish.

Whether it might be available in specific colours I don’t know.  Its prime function is to provide a self-healing layer over the paint that gives a high gloss - or matt - finish that’s particularly resistant to the kind of minor chip impact or staining that will affect a paint finish.

Removal is actually easier than application.  It just peels off.  In fact this should ensure that reselling  the car shouldn’t be a problem.  What ever the colour or design, the wrap can be peeled off to reveal the original paint finish in the same condition as when the wrap was applied.

https://www.huntsmiths.co.uk/xpel-paint-protection-film/

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links