Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

This is my first post, apologies if I posted in the wrong section. Please feel free to move to appropriate section if required. 

Recently I came across 2013 plate LS 460 facelift model with FDSH and 40k miles, the owner is asking £17K for it. I feel it is bit pricey, bit nervous to go ahead with out the warranty(Lexus may extend the warranty for a year based on the  next service!), or is it better to wait for next opportunity?.  Please let me know your thoughts. thanks!

I would not spend that amount of money on a private sale where no warranty is guaranteed. Unless you know the owner and car very well. If things go wrong they can be very expensive to fix. Someone posted that they had to reject a LS 460 from a dealer who could not get it fixed. Proceed with caution would be my advice. Buying from a Lexus dealer is more expensive but well worth the security for the warranty.

Just my personal view.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply David. Car's 10 year extended warranty will be expiring in 3/4 months time. He presented me with the complete service records of the Lexus dealership for the past nine years, it is going to be trade sale.  I have to still think through it...

Is this the F-sport on e-bay I saw recently, I was considering it, but cannot scrape the money together for some time, so decided to not even think about it.

Was not quite sure if it was a good buy at that price, but 10year old 460's for sale not that common from what I have seen. 

I would be curious to know why it is for sale if it is such a nice car?

Buying any big luxury car that has a few years behind it is like playing Russian roulette. It always makes sense to have a contingency plan of 2-3k in reserve just in case. 

• Like 1

Why not consider the flagship LS600hL Premier from that genre, facelift (big grill) 2013-17.

Extremely rare, amazing flagship (I have one) and I have noticed a recent trend for imported cars being on sale in AT, presumably because UK cars come up for sale so infrequently.  

Buying private is fine if you are brave and seller can show the car qualifies for Relax warranty. Both are expensive to maintain a repair, if you are risk averse then my advice is well worth paying a premium at Lexus but you will need to be super patient and snap one up as soon as it appears.

I'm sad to say that most big comfy wonderful cars with modern day electronics and whizz bang stuff are going to cost the owner one or two arms and legs in maintenance .  it's just inevitable .  it's a car with super technological innovation that WILL go wrong at some stage AND be very expensive to fix properly .  it's a CAR 

Even the steering column rake motor defunct fix will cost a couple of £££ grand . and that's a tiny issue compared to what can and at some stage WILL go awry 

As above, a suitable sinking fund will be necessary and then if it's not going to be a " keeper " you've got to factor in it's eventual on-sale and value and even if there will be a future buyer out there too !

Many young / older brilliant when new cars out there from Lexus even and at what seems " good " prices BUT take note of what I say above and be very very prudent 

That's why the older Ls400s are getting a bit of a comeback in popularity .  they're quite invincible and often don't cost a fortune to " fix " when issues arise .  and at the price they are, are quite dispensable i guess 

Best to be a Company Director 🤣 buying one from new on say a lease package whatever and handing it back to the Main Dealer to worry about at end of term 

BUT as for your immediate concerns, well, buy it with a good sinking fund and expectations to be keeping it for many a year too and getting the quite wonderful wafting luxury and comfort that you're seeking 

Be assured that no other marque will be an improvement for sure and unlike BMW and Merc will only cost you a small fortune in maintenance rather that a BIG one 

Good luck with your decision making

Malc

• Like 1

Could not agree more with the above comments. I am on my 5th Lexus. The previous four were older cars (well over 10 years old) and were very reliable with only wear and tear items to replace - brake pads - discs etc. Provided you buy with due diligence they are wonderful cars to own. However if you buy a lemon, that someone else wants rid of, you will regret it.

Plan for the worst hope for the best!

• Like 3

@Malc1 Sorry for the delayed reply, access to this forum from my browser didn't work due to my company's VPN connectivity. 

Could not agree more with the above comments, however living within the M25 area requires us to own a car that meets Euro 4 or higher emissions standards in order to avoid incurring significant fees from the government. As a result, we are compelled to purchase a newer vehicle, despite the fact that we may have owned a reliable older car. Essentially, the government's regulations are driving us towards buying new cars instead of being able to keep and utilize our older vehicles that meet our needs.

• Like 2

it's a Bummer for sure ............ 

40 years old cars are however exempt and it might be prudent to find summat like a great old'ish Saab of 1982 vintage which might also go on forever .....  like Insp Crabbe in Pie in the Sky !

Visiting relatives in Welling area will kick-in with the new Fuhrer's fees come August and my thoughts are to find such a Saab .. my prior ownership of a brilliant Saab 900 of same vintage as my present Ls400 would do me fine .  if only I could pre-date it !

My 2006 Honda Legend is exempt from the present fees ULEZ stuff 

Malc

So in 6 years time I can ride my 1989 Kawasaki GTR1000 (carburettors, no CATs) into London, but not before then? 🤣
My 2007 GTR1400 is Euro 4 and so is my 2004 LS430 so if I need to drive/ride into outer London then I can.
I do live quite close to London and avoid going inside the M25 like the plague so I'm not worried personally, but the whole ULEZ thing makes very little sense to me.
Carrots work so much better than Sticks when trying to persuade Joe Public to choose a certain way.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links